Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do when Diehl is ready to return?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What to do when Diehl is ready to return?

    I love DD and respect and appreciate everything that he's done for the Giants. That being said....

    We all know that he's on the decline and if my memory serves me right the same thing kind of happened to O'Hara. I remember him being injured and then all of a sudden the offensive line started playing really well. When O'hara was supposedly healthy enough to play they put him back in the starting line up and it totally screwed up the chemistry with the team ultimately costing us the season. Do we do the same thing with Diehl or do we just stick with what's currently working? We know the Coughlin is a loyal guy but *I just don't want to see the saem thing happen again like it did a couple of years back.

  • #2
    Have a talk with him and show him game film. Then ask him to be ready when/if they need him.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

    Comment


    • #3
      don't pretend that he'll just be inserted in the line because he was the 'starter'.

      all kinds of football columnists when asked which team in the NFL is the most likely to have a walk on or UFA on the actual roster answer the Giants because the coaching staff just wants the best player based on practice and prep, period.

      So if DD stays out, it means they're seeing better things with the current line up excluding him, if they put him back in, its because they think the improvement is due to something other than DD being out.

      there's no question in my mind that this staff will make the choice based on who gives them the best chance to win.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by GameTime View Post
        Have a talk with him and show him game film. Then ask him to be ready when/if they need him.
        I think this is fair. The Giants need to go with the best offensive line possible for the sake of the team. Since Diehl is a team player, I hope he understands.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by JB456 View Post
          I think this is fair. The Giants need to go with the best offensive line possible for the sake of the team. Since Diehl is a team player, I hope he understands.
          he wont like it because he is a competitor but he will oblige and work hard as he always does.
          "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
          You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

          Comment


          • #6
            I don't know the answer to the OP, but I'll tell you this much. . .

            I would love to see an up-to-speed Wilson running behind last night's line. Then again, I get the feeling Wilson isn't as NFL-ready as many people had hoped.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RagTime Blue View Post
              I don't know the answer to the OP, but I'll tell you this much. . .

              I would love to see an up-to-speed Wilson running behind last night's line. Then again, I get the feeling Wilson isn't as NFL-ready as many people had hoped.
              +1

              with him there's no rush. again, the expectation is always that a 1st round pick is going to contribute right away. that might be true for some positions, its not for this one.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                The ideal situation would be that he is a valuable backup at the tackle and guard position. Also use him in our jumbo packages. I'm a Diehl fan, but I would be lying that I'm not excited from what I have seen from the guys up front since he got injured.

                Giants fan since the early 80s

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ny06 View Post
                  The ideal situation would be that he is a valuable backup at the tackle and guard position. Also use him in our jumbo packages. I'm a Diehl fan, but I would be lying that I'm not excited from what I have seen from the guys up front since he got injured.
                  I don't know why you'd consider him a valuable backup. A valuable backup comes in and plays well, like Barden and Brown have done. Diehl does not play well.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                    he wont like it because he is a competitor but he will oblige and work hard as he always does.
                    Agreed. He will accept it but won't like it.

                    Also, I don't want to seem mean and cold hearted for what he has given the Giants but what other choice does he have? He has been declining for quite a while and this should probably be his last year.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The current OL group has been very solid for the game and 3/4's they've been together. If they keep up this pace I don't see how TC would change that, especially since everyone on the current line is a vet so it's not like he could use the experience reason like he did when he replace Koets with O'Hara in the Eagles game.
                      All Hail The New York Giants!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by moosedrool View Post
                        I don't know why you'd consider him a valuable backup. A valuable backup comes in and plays well, like Barden and Brown have done. Diehl does not play well.
                        You're talking about skilled positions, Diehl has 10 years of NFL experience to add to our depth. Look at our backups on our o-line, they are all young and unproven players.

                        Giants fan since the early 80s

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by CDN_G-FAN View Post

                          with him there's no rush. again, the expectation is always that a 1st round pick is going to contribute right away. that might be true for some positions, its not for this one.
                          Yeah, he flashed big-time in the preseason. Enough to know that we have some serious NFL talent on our hands with Wilson. . .I'm not worried about a thing.
                          But it seems like TC tried to take the cake out of the oven a little too soon vs. Cowboys. It's just not done yet.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RagTime Blue View Post
                            Yeah, he flashed big-time in the preseason. Enough to know that we have some serious NFL talent on our hands with Wilson. . .I'm not worried about a thing.
                            But it seems like TC tried to take the cake out of the oven a little too soon vs. Cowboys. It's just not done yet.
                            I really liked the appetizer he gave us on Thursday

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The first thing they will do is stretch his rehabilitation, say 6 weeks. By that time, we will have a better picture of where we're at in the "hunt" and how dominant the tackle tandem of Beatty and Locklear are. I assume they will be hard to replace by then and let's remember that unit cohesion is critical to success. In that case, Diehl will most likely be a 2 who they will "ease back into" the rotation

                              Now let's not forget, Diehl is actually a guard who was pressed into service as a tackle so he does provide OLine versatility and, when healthy, a fresh set of legs who can still serve a positive role.

                              But we don't know how he will rehabilitate and it's also possible IR is in his future.
                              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X