Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If we make the playoffs do Coughlin and Fewell definitely return?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If we make the playoffs do Coughlin and Fewell definitely return?

I don't mind Coughlin, but I think Fewell has to go. For how much talent is on our defense, I think we are under performing.

Re: If we make the playoffs do Coughlin and Fewell definitely return?

[quote user="AllTuckedUp"]I don't mind Coughlin, but I think Fewell has to go. For how much talent is on our defense, I think we are under performing.[/quote]

TC yes (I can't see the Maras firing a playoff team HC).

Fewell ... that's debatable. While they don't mind getting rid of second year guys (ala Tim Lewis), he would still fall under the playoff team protection.

I guess it would depend on TC's say.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

[quote user="AllTuckedUp"]I don't mind Coughlin, but I think Fewell has to go. For how much talent is on our defense, I think we are under performing.[/quote]

Now the Defense could still come around. Fewell simplifies a few things. We could start playing better. If you couple that with a nice playoff run and its gonna be hard to get him fired. The Giants like to excuse poor coaching if there are injuries and we have a few (Not as many as advertised but a few)

so this run toward the playoffs will be key.

If we fail to make noise in the playoffs I can't imagine he'll be back with where the D in ranked. Plus I believe hes in the last year of his contract. I cant imagine wed offer another contract to a coach who isn't performing.
      My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

Comment

Don't you mean how much talent we have on I.R/bench?

Comment

IMO, yes.

Comment

Not if Fewell gets a head coaching job offer from another team...

Comment

[quote user="yoeddy"]Not if Fewell gets a head coaching job offer from another team...[/quote]

ha ha . . . . good one!

Comment

[quote user="yoeddy"]Not if Fewell gets a head coaching job offer from another team...[/quote]We can only hope there is a fool of a GM or owner that will give this idiot an HC position. That is the only way to break up the 3 stooges we have now.

Comment

TC will definitely be here if we make the playoffs. However, unless there's a drastic turn around in the way the defenseplays, I can see us not resigning Fewell (his contract is up after this season), and aiming for someone else.

Who knows, though? Maybe Mara/TC give Fewell a pass because of all the defensive injuries.

Comment

[quote user="Drez"]

TC will definitely be here if we make the playoffs. However, unless there's a drastic turn around in the way the defense*plays, I can see us not resigning Fewell (his contract is up after this season), and aiming for someone else.

Who knows, though? Maybe Mara/TC give Fewell a pass because of all the defensive injuries.

[/quote]

Contract up well that is even better

Comment

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="AllTuckedUp"]I don't mind Coughlin, but I think Fewell has to go. For how much talent is on our defense, I think we are under performing.[/quote]

TC yes (I can't see the Maras firing a playoff team HC).

Fewell ... that's debatable. While they don't mind getting rid of second year guys (ala Tim Lewis), he would still fall under the playoff team protection.

I guess it would depend on TC's say.[/quote]

yeah this, they would defer to TC and i think playoffs, injuries and past performance is enough for Fewell to stay ... i think we will learn a lot about where the is D this weekend ... Washington is a stoppable offense ... Pack, Saints and Boys are far better, so lets see if we can do something against a weaker O in an important game

Comment

TC definintly stays if the team makes the playoffs in a strong fashion AND wins a playoff game. If we barely sneak into the playoffs and get blown out in the wildcard round, there may (although doubtful) a chance TC is still let go.

PF's fate will likely get tied to how well the defense plays during this last stretch and if it causes the season's demise.

Another showing like those against NO and GB in the playoffs likely spells his end.
                        All Hail The New York Giants!!

Comment

no idea about Fewell.....

but if you think ownership will relieve Coughlin of his duties with a QB in his prime that is attached to his hip you have to be out of your mind

you dont disrupt an offense playing this well and a franchise QB who could run this offense in his sleep

a completely new regime rolling into town could set this team back multiple seasons

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"]no idea about Fewell.....

but if you think ownership will relieve Coughlin of his duties with a QB in his prime that is attached to his hip you have to be out of your mind

you dont disrupt an offense playing this well and a franchise QB who could run this offense in his sleep

a completely new regime rolling into town could set this team back multiple seasons[/quote]
                            this

Comment

I think the entire staff is gone with anything short of a first round playoff win.

There are a lot of facts that should have TC squirming in his seat. I'll review them quickly so the TC apologists have something to chew on:

[*]29-41 Nov/Dec record[*]no better than 4-4 in the 2nd half of 7 out of 8 seasons (went 5-3 in 2005).[*]Collapses in 7 of 8 seasons (if you'd like I can cut and paste the year-by-year collapses)[*]3 first round playoff exits[*]Some of the franchise's worst performances in big games (2005 Panthers, 2008 Eagles, 2009 last game ever at Giants Stadium, 2010 Eagles, et al). [*]No home playoff wins[*]No playoff wins outside of 2007[/list]

Coughlin is also very loyal to his subordinates -- an honorable trait -- but our defense and special teams are trash, and Gilbride is 25% genious and 75% oaf. Coughlin will not make the call.

Only if the front office insists, as they did at the end of 2006, on firing the underlings will they go anywhere.

Should they do this, it will be the 5th defensive coordinator in 8 years.

And we still wouldn't have an answer for all the 2nd half collapses or the disastrous big games.

I often compare TC's situation to Joe Torre's -- does a lot of good things but something is wrong that nobody can identify, it's time to shake hands and part ways.

8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Comment

Working...
                              X