Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Eli Manning The Best Quarterback in The NFL?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by burier View Post
    This lists seems a bit overly influenced by....I don't know...ESPN or something.

Not sure how in good faith you could rank Tom Brady ahead of Eli.
    My own list from watching them all play a decent amount of games. What other problems do you have with it? RIght now I still think Brady is the better QB than Eli. He's coming off one of his best seasons and he hasn't shown enough to make me think he's seriously regressing yet. I do think Eli will surpass Brady and Brees sooner than later, but right now, they're still better QBs imo. I always have trouble deciding between who I think is better between Ben and Eli, I love both of their games. As much as I hate him, Romo is deadly, and just needs a superbowl to be tied with Ben and Eli. As for the rest of them, I think Ryan and Stafford are on the rise and Rivers and Peyton on the decline, but I still think these are the ten best QBs in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by crossouttheeyes View Post
      The simple answer is no. He's the best in the 4th quarter and he's got ice water in his veins, but Rodgers is still the best QB in the league. I wouldn't trade him for any other QB in the league however (would strongly consider Rodgers), but he's not the best.

If I had to make a list, this is what it would look like.

1. Aaron Rodgers
      2. Tom Brady
      3. Drew Brees
      4. Eli Manning/Ben Roethlisberger
      6. Tony Romo
      7. Matt Ryan
      8. Phillip Rivers
      9. Peyton Manning
      10. Matt Stafford

Right now I'd have Eli at 4th tied with Ben. Until Brees and Brady drop their level of play for more than 3 games I can't put Eli over them. Rodgers is gonna be the best for a long time, I can't see Eli surpassing him, but who knows. This list is overall, obviously not based off only this year.
      only problem i have with that list is Rodgers at #1. the giants exposed it in the playoffs and pretty much any team with a pass rush and avg DB will exploit the packers this season. rodgers looked good in their SB run to their 15-1 start in 2011, but teams realized if they took away his sideline throws and made him go through his progressions a different rodgers would come out. during their run he was at his best getting the ball out to his first read during pre-snap, or max protect p/a to a single read deep. if you make him go through progressions without a check down to throw to results in either a sack or a qb run. during their 2011 run i rarely saw his helmet scan the field like brady or brees and even eli, it was look one way and throw. that's what happened last night and that's what happened in week 1 against the niners and against the giants in the playoffs. so, mr. discount double check with funger gun first downs should've worked at his progression reads in the off season cause he is looking like an avg qb.

as far as eli being the best... right now i would've have to say yes even with the three int against the bucs. i think the league and fans are starting to realize he doesn't need a fitzgerald or johnson to throw to and i'm not knocking nicks or cruz, but the national game against the panthers where no analyst picked them to win showed what he can do without having his regulars playing. if he continues at this current pace he is a sure vote for MVP.

i hate to bring this up again but i posted a thread after SB46 that i was no longer pissed about the 08 season and plax ruining a repeat. the best thing out of that was the giants had to draft a WR, if plax doesn't shoot himself we would've had an older and slower plax in 2011 and 2012. i truly believe we are in better position now to win another SB in the next 3 to 5 years versus if the plax thing didn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
        As of right now, Eli is probably the second or third best QB in the game. I might put Matt Ryan and Matt Schaub ahead of him as of right now because of their stats, and their record.
        You really think that Shaub and Ryan are better players?
        My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

Comment

He was the best last week. I think if he continues that trend for the rest of the year, and if he plays powerful and steady well other don't play up to their last year performance (for example Brees) then there is a good chance that Eli could come away with an MVP award. But before we all celebrate and declare Eli a clinch for the reward lets remember this is week 4 now, not week 14. A lot of things are going to happen still this season,

Comment

You really think that Shaub and Ryan are better players?
            I don't know why I said Schaub, but you can make the case for Ryan.

Matt Ryan: 8 Touchdowns, 1 Interception, 72 Cmp%

Again, that's of RIGHT NOW. Eli is probably second.
            Mood: WOOF!

Comment

I think if we're just gonna pull up stats and say...after three weeks this is how the QBs rank...I don't really think that's the question. I think we have consider the totality of the player. If Tom Brady throws 4 picks sunday do we drop him to 28th on the list?
              My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Comment

yup. i have said for sometime now this would be the year eli elevates above the other few elite QB. Based on just the eye test from this season, I'd have to say Ryan and Eli are neck in neck.
                Eli is leading the league in yards, has an awesome qb rating, but more importantly, he's given us legimate shots at winning each game despite the flaws that were so fatal. the week 1 loss, we barely lost bc eli was playing good. had one other person, cruz or nicks had a bigger game, we win.

but yeah all that said, its subjective but its getting more n more objective. even my packers friends have said eli is playing better than rodgers this year. what qb is playing better? Ryan is playing on his level so I'd go 1a 1b whoever first. i also said this offseason we were a 12 win team bc i fully expected eli to play all reg season and playoffs as he played the final 6 games last year and so far he has. i actually said he'd play at even higher level, and u can kinda see he's pushing to do so, or at least vs TB 1rst half, he was really pushing too much which resulted in an off half. it was when he went back to being aggressive within the situation that that changed. yeah eli will clearly be MVP by seasons end imo and ranked by ESPN as the best Qb which will lead to everyone else catching up with some of us who knew this from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by crossouttheeyes View Post
                  lol, he couldn't pull that one off at all. His celebrations get stale real quick.

The only reason I would consider it is because Rodgers is younger and I've never seen a QB come close to how consistently efficient he is while still making plays that wow me. I've only been watching football for 10 years or so, but I've seen a lot of great QBs, and none have impressed me as much as Rodgers (other than Eli's 2012 playoff run). Maybe it was because I was to young to understand how great Peyton was in his prime, but I feel like I'm watching something special when I watch Rodgers play. I'd still take Eli though. Any day of the week.
                  no doubt....he is top NFL QB.....
                  "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                  You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

People talking about Rodgers being the best when Matt Flynn came in last year and put up gaudy numbers too. Rodgers might be a system QB for all we know.

Comment

I think if we're just gonna pull up stats and say...after three weeks this is how the QBs rank...I don't really think that's the question. I think we have consider the totality of the player. If Tom Brady throws 4 picks sunday do we drop him to 28th on the list?
                      Then you can't really say who the best quarterback is, since it's only been three weeks. You kinda have to pull up stats.

Comment

also, ppl always overlook how eli doesnt miss games. that is so huge...just saying

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
                          yup. i have said for sometime now this would be the year eli elevates above the other few elite QB. Based on just the eye test from this season, I'd have to say Ryan and Eli are neck in neck.
                          Eli is leading the league in yards, has an awesome qb rating, but more importantly, he's given us legimate shots at winning each game despite the flaws that were so fatal. the week 1 loss, we barely lost bc eli was playing good. had one other person, cruz or nicks had a bigger game, we win.

but yeah all that said, its subjective but its getting more n more objective. even my packers friends have said eli is playing better than rodgers this year. what qb is playing better? Ryan is playing on his level so I'd go 1a 1b whoever first. i also said this offseason we were a 12 win team bc i fully expected eli to play all reg season and playoffs as he played the final 6 games last year and so far he has. i actually said he'd play at even higher level, and u can kinda see he's pushing to do so, or at least vs TB 1rst half, he was really pushing too much which resulted in an off half. it was when he went back to being aggressive within the situation that that changed. yeah eli will clearly be MVP by seasons end imo and ranked by ESPN as the best Qb which will lead to everyone else catching up with some of us who knew this from the start.
                          I hear what you're saying but Ryan doesn't deserve to be mentioned with Eli Manning based on 3 weeks of play. That's way over the top. Ryan doesn't have the credentials. Last year he was a boarderline top 10 qb. 3 games into this season he leapfrogged passed elite status to being one of the 2 best in the league? I'm gonna go ahead and say nahh.

I think this conversation should be about the elite 5. Rogers, Brees, Brady, and the Manning brothers.

Comment

Originally posted by NYtoSanDiego View Post
                            only problem i have with that list is Rodgers at #1. the giants exposed it in the playoffs and pretty much any team with a pass rush and avg DB will exploit the packers this season. rodgers looked good in their SB run to their 15-1 start in 2011, but teams realized if they took away his sideline throws and made him go through his progressions a different rodgers would come out. during their run he was at his best getting the ball out to his first read during pre-snap, or max protect p/a to a single read deep. if you make him go through progressions without a check down to throw to results in either a sack or a qb run. during their 2011 run i rarely saw his helmet scan the field like brady or brees and even eli, it was look one way and throw. that's what happened last night and that's what happened in week 1 against the niners and against the giants in the playoffs. so, mr. discount double check with funger gun first downs should've worked at his progression reads in the off season cause he is looking like an avg qb.

as far as eli being the best... right now i would've have to say yes even with the three int against the bucs. i think the league and fans are starting to realize he doesn't need a fitzgerald or johnson to throw to and i'm not knocking nicks or cruz, but the national game against the panthers where no analyst picked them to win showed what he can do without having his regulars playing. if he continues at this current pace he is a sure vote for MVP.

i hate to bring this up again but i posted a thread after SB46 that i was no longer pissed about the 08 season and plax ruining a repeat. the best thing out of that was the giants had to draft a WR, if plax doesn't shoot himself we would've had an older and slower plax in 2011 and 2012. i truly believe we are in better position now to win another SB in the next 3 to 5 years versus if the plax thing didn't happen.
                            He does love those sideline throws, but I've seen him spread the ball around and go through his progressions in the past. I'm mostly talking about the 2010 playoff run, which was probably the best quarterback play I've ever seen in a 4 game stretch (that or Eli's 2011 playoffs). His ability to make plays out of the pocket also contributes to my ranking. After 2011, I have a hard time putting anybody over him, but you could very well be right. I'll start watching him going through his progressions more carefully.

And I know Matt Ryan is having a great season so far, and I think he is a very good QB, but lets wait a little while before crowning him best in the league.

Comment

Are you asking who is the best quarterback so far this year?

Comment

Ever since the next to last game of last regular season, Eli Manning has been top QB in NFL.Eli Manning along with Tom Brady do more with less than anu other QBs in NFL. This is a huge part of what seperates them from the rest.The only QB I would consider up there with Eli Manning right now is Tom Brady. Granted, the season is young and a lot can happen but I really think Eli makes a statement this season and wins NFL MVP.

Comment

Working...
                                X