Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Mathias Kiwanuka ever made a big play?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riverboat76
    started a topic Has Mathias Kiwanuka ever made a big play?

Has Mathias Kiwanuka ever made a big play?

Of course I am being a little facetious when I ask the question, but my only memory of any significant play in Kiwanuka's career was playing the Titans in Vince Young's rookie year when and Kiwanuka didn't complete the sack on Young which ultimately cost the Giants the game.

JPP makes plays. Boley makes plays. In years past Tuck and Osi made plays. But for a guy who seemingly gets a lot of respect around here not to mention a new contract I never hear his name mentioned on any broadcasts of any of the Giant games. He seems invisible. The guy has 7 tackles in 4 games this year. If he is too big and slow to play LB, perhaps its time for him to transition back to the line.

• GameTime
    replied
    Originally posted by Riverboat76 View Post
    Kiwi has been the one constant LB over the years and he just got rewarded with a big contract before the season...and I don't think his play justifies it. That is why I singled him out.
    gotcha....

Leave a comment:

• repeatchamps
    replied
    He has been invisible, and I don't want to hear it's because he is "funneling" plays to other guys who are then not making the tackle. He's invisible because he is a big, slow LB who plays poor in space. Period.
    How many times does this have to be rehashed in this thread? I am sorry this is a very narrowminded, uninformed view of how a LB'er helps make the run defense top notch. No one else makes a stop in the run defense even if Kiwi plays his position properly and that's Kiwi's fault? If a guy like Bowman (knowing what he's capable of presently with a solid supporting cast) all the sudden went to a new team who's defense does nothing to help him and his output dropped I guess you'd tear into him too and say he was overrated to begin with. Ever think that Bowman puts up and makes the eye-opening numbers/plays you are referencing because the other guys around him do their job as well as or perhaps even better than Bowman does?
    Last edited by repeatchamps; 10-04-2012, 03:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GameTime
    replied
    Originally posted by burier View Post
    Its not impossible. I think you can switch a backer from a 3-4 to a 4-3 but conventional wisdom says a smoother transition would have been to move Sintm to DE.

I just dont think you should gamble with your early picks like that.
    the Giants like "athletic" players overall and that what they saw in Sintim I believe. Either way it didnt work out for them or him.....

Leave a comment:

• burier
    replied
    Originally posted by GameTime View Post
    I agree.....but I dont agree about the whole 3-4 vs 4-3 thing with LBs. Mabey just my ignorance for the scheme but it seems if Kiwi can become a decent LB why couldn't Sintim become a 4-3 LB??
    I think its just one of those things that just didnt work out.
    Its not impossible. I think you can switch a backer from a 3-4 to a 4-3 but conventional wisdom says a smoother transition would have been to move Sintm to DE.

I just dont think you should gamble with your early picks like that.
    Last edited by burier; 10-04-2012, 02:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Riverboat76
    replied
    so basically your thread could have been about any of the Giants recent LBs of the last 3 years or so.
    They havent found the right mox yet. You named 4 teams with very good LB corps. After thinking about it not too mnay teams have very good to great LBs....seems harder than realized to put together a consistently solid group
    Kiwi has been the one constant LB over the years and he just got rewarded with a big contract before the season...and I don't think his play justifies it. That is why I singled him out.

Leave a comment:

• GameTime
    replied
    What's annoying about Reese is he really hasn't even tried to fix it other than drafting a bunch of guys in late rounds and moving Kiwi. Its like he doesn't take the position seriously.

I mean he drafts Sintim in the second round who was a 3-4 backer and tries to turn him into a 4-3 backer. Does he think this is some sort of video game?
    I agree.....but I dont agree about the whole 3-4 vs 4-3 thing with LBs. Mabey just my ignorance for the scheme but it seems if Kiwi can become a decent LB why couldn't Sintim become a 4-3 LB??
    I think its just one of those things that just didnt work out.

Leave a comment:

• burier
    replied
    None of them. It's been a problem. Look at the traditionally dominant defenses over the years...they all have All-Pro Level linebackers. 49ers, Steelers, Ravens, Bears.

I love Reese but this has been one problem he hasn't been able to fix yet. He keeps throwing band-aids on the gaping wound. He drafted Sintim high to be an answer but he turned out to be the worst one yet.
    What's annoying about Reese is he really hasn't even tried to fix it other than drafting a bunch of guys in late rounds and moving Kiwi. Its like he doesn't take the position seriously.

I mean he drafts Sintim in the second round who was a 3-4 backer and tries to turn him into a 4-3 backer. Does he think this is some sort of video game?

Leave a comment:

• GameTime
    replied
    None of them. It's been a problem. Look at the traditionally dominant defenses over the years...they all have All-Pro Level linebackers. 49ers, Steelers, Ravens, Bears.

I love Reese but this has been one problem he hasn't been able to fix yet. He keeps throwing band-aids on the gaping wound. He drafted Sintim high to be an answer but he turned out to be the worst one yet.
    so basically your thread could have been about any of the Giants recent LBs of the last 3 years or so.
    They havent found the right mox yet. You named 4 teams with very good LB corps. After thinking about it not too mnay teams have very good to great LBs....seems harder than realized to put together a consistently solid group

Leave a comment:

• Riverboat76
    replied
    what LB on the Giants has been a game changer on any type of consistent basis???? Boley a here and there....thats about it...and he's nicked up often.

Leave a comment:

• burier
    replied
    he wants to play TE for the Cowboys. He likes the way Romo throws the ball and he has developed a chemistry with him....lol
    Good show.

Leave a comment:

• GameTime
    replied
    Its true we've ignored our linebackers for years.

Is Lance Briggs still demanding a trade?
    he wants to play TE for the Cowboys. He likes the way Romo throws the ball and he has developed a chemistry with him....lol

Leave a comment:

• burier
    replied
    what LB on the Giants has been a game changer on any type of consistent basis???? Boley a here and there....thats about it...and he's nicked up often.
    Its true we've ignored our linebackers for years.

Is Lance Briggs still demanding a trade?

Leave a comment:

• GameTime
    replied
    I said in the beginning that I think he is better suited as a speedier DE pass rusher, rather than a slower LB playing out of position. So I don't think it's all his fault. And I'm not saying he is the worst player ever. But he is well paid to be a (seemingly) situational run stopping LB who doesn't make tackles, or game changing plays. I just don't get it. He has been the one constant LB on a defense that hasn't been very good for a few years, quite frankly. He has been invisible, and I don't want to hear it's because he is "funneling" plays to other guys who are then not making the tackle. He's invisible because he is a big, slow LB who plays poor in space. Period.

I truly believe if he was shifted to a DE spot (perhaps stealing time from Osi) and a true LB was shifted to his spot, the defense would perform better.

Leave a comment:

• fansince69
    replied
    Your wisdom shines through with every post you make. One day I hope to see the game through the eyes of a true football guru such as yourself.
    lol ty I sincerely hope you can too

Leave a comment:

Working...
X