X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fee-fi-fo-fum
    started a topic Defensive Captain

Defensive Captain

We all know who the captain is. Anyone think the role should go to someone else? If so, who and why?

• GameTime
    replied
    Originally posted by Fee-fi-fo-fum View Post
    I think of "captain" and can't help but recognizing DJ as the ultimate. The closest thing to Jeter on the entire Giants team is Eli, and on the offense side of things, it seems we have more attitude that is reflective of the organization as a whole. Obviously guys like Nicks, Cruz, Snee, Hynoski, and surely others are buying into some sort of leadership example and perpetuating it. I don't see the same thing on the defense side. The defense seems like a whole separate culture where things are more outspoken and undisciplined, unstable, vague - and pehaps chronically injured. Anyone else see this difference between the offense and defense?
    what you say has merrit. There is no "Eli" on the defensive sid eof the ball. They dont seem to have that person who inspires confidence and calmness like Eli does. I cant say that for sure of course but it does seem that way.

Leave a comment:

• GameTime
    replied
    [QUOTE=bigblue58;516917]
    Originally posted by GameTime View Post

TY for making my argument for me! In 2007, we can both agree that Michael Strahan was the most vocal, inspirationall leader on the Giants Defense......... But who was the Defensive Captain? Antonio Pierce
    it wasnt because he was calling the plays.....dont pat your self on the back to much you may hurt your arm....

Leave a comment:

• burier
    replied
    Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    or any organized athletic activity for that matter

captains are absolutely invaluable
    I'm sayin....

Leave a comment:

• Fee-fi-fo-fum
    replied
    I think of "captain" and can't help but recognizing DJ as the ultimate. The closest thing to Jeter on the entire Giants team is Eli, and on the offense side of things, it seems we have more attitude that is reflective of the organization as a whole. Obviously guys like Nicks, Cruz, Snee, Hynoski, and surely others are buying into some sort of leadership example and perpetuating it. I don't see the same thing on the defense side. The defense seems like a whole separate culture where things are more outspoken and undisciplined, unstable, vague - and pehaps chronically injured. Anyone else see this difference between the offense and defense?

Leave a comment:

• bigblue58
    replied
    [QUOTE=GameTime;516884]
    Originally posted by bigblue58 View Post
    thats makes little sense because its usually the MLB who does that. Thats a position requirement not an elected team issue...
    TY for making my argument for me! In 2007, we can both agree that Michael Strahan was the most vocal, inspirationall leader on the Giants Defense......... But who was the Defensive Captain? Antonio Pierce

Leave a comment:

• Redeyejedi
    replied
    I think this is something the players and coach decide . We are not in the locker room

Leave a comment:

• YATittle1962
    replied
    Originally posted by burier View Post
    Have you ever played football on any level?
    or any organized athletic activity for that matter

captains are absolutely invaluable

Leave a comment:

• GameTime
    replied
    Unless the Defensive Captain is issued magic underwear that gives him super powers....yes....I maintain that it's meaningless and has zero, zip, zilch bearing on anything!
    ask the Ravens...or The Bears....
    they may differ in opnion

Leave a comment:

• burier
    replied
    Unless the Defensive Captain is issued magic underwear that gives him super powers....yes....I maintain that it's meaningless and has zero, zip, zilch bearing on anything!
    Have you ever played football on any level?

Leave a comment:

• GameTime
    replied
    [QUOTE=bigblue58;516880]
    Originally posted by GameTime View Post
    the captain "should" be a leasion between the DC and the game. He "should" be a respected and vocal individual. He "should" be someone that id looke dup to and also given the responsibility to get the lead team in the right direction. They are looked at with confidence and for structure.[/QUOTE

The only Defensive player qualified to be Captain......and the only one who SHOULD BE Captain, is the one with the dot on his helmet calling out the defensive plays!
    thats makes little sense because its usually the MLB who does that. Thats a position requirement not an elected team issue...

Leave a comment:

• bigblue58
    replied
    [QUOTE=GameTime;516848]the captain "should" be a leasion between the DC and the game. He "should" be a respected and vocal individual. He "should" be someone that id looke dup to and also given the responsibility to get the lead team in the right direction. They are looked at with confidence and for structure.[/QUOTE

The only Defensive player qualified to be Captain......and the only one who SHOULD BE Captain, is the one with the dot on his helmet calling out the defensive plays!
    Anyone other than THAT guy being Captian is irrelevan to the performance on the field.
    These guys are men in the NFL, not members of the Racoon Lodge.....motivation should come from within!

Why do we insist on applying childish terms to grown men in the NFL? If they still need a "Captain" to give them incentive, motivation and someone to look up to, they're in the wrong league.
    Last edited by bigblue58; 10-04-2012, 12:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GameTime
    replied
    the captain "should" be a leasion between the DC and the game. He "should" be a respected and vocal individual. He "should" be someone that id looke dup to and also given the responsibility to get the lead team in the right direction. They are looked at with confidence and for structure.

Leave a comment:

• bigblue58
    replied
    Originally posted by burier View Post
    Uhhh...yeah.

I don't know where you got the idea that the captain has no bearing on what happens on the field. If that were true no one would bother selecting a captain in the first place. The captain sets the tone in practice and on the field. The captain demands accountability. The problem is..when the captain takes games off he loses his authority.

Leave a comment:

• burier
    replied
    I can't think of a more meaningless title in sports!
    I don't care if Jack Sparrow is the Captain...who the captain is has no bearing on what they do on the field.
    Making someone else DC is going to make them rush the QB better?
    Uhhh...yeah.

I don't know where you got the idea that the captain has no bearing on what happens on the field. If that were true no one would bother selecting a captain in the first place. The captain sets the tone in practice and on the field. The captain demands accountability. The problem is..when the captain takes games off he loses his authority.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X