David Wilson "very close" To Larger Role

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bg79 View Post
    Cmon, don't go there with the whole the coaches see the player more than we do therefor we have no right to question any judgement kind of crap. What were those coaches seeing in practices and meeting rooms that were keeping Victor Cruz from getting a bigger role till injury forced him finally into the lineup? If you're going to fall back on that you gotta be prepared that sometimes they just flat out don't make the right judgement calls and they didnt with Cruz in that regard, or hey even JPP took longer than I liked for him to get a significant role on the defense.

The point of my previous post was that there were a different set of rules applied and that isnt a great message to send a player and could explain why some of the veterans tend to get soft here. Basically the way I see it right now is if you're a rookie or younger player you have to go to ridiculous levels to prove yourself and live up to unrealistic demands of mistake free football. However, once you've firmly entrenched yourself as a starter those rules don't apply. Fumbling, lack of effort, and just downright stinking don't seem to matter once you've already gotten the position. It could explain why Osi, Tuck, Diehl, and Bradshaw up until yesterdays game have flat out stunk this season. If Tom is going to be his legendary hardass self when it comes to certain things then he needs to apply that same standard to the whole team and not just play favorites with the vets.

Other teams arent afraid to lean heavily on their rookies. Look at the browns using Richardson as basically their only playmaker. Something tells me that if he were a Giant he'd be relegated to a similar role that Wilson has as we'd be debating on whether he has the knowledge of the plays or blocking ability to be out there over Bradshaw. At some point in time you gotta just see what you have. Bradshaw had 30 carries last game for his 200 yards, was there really a need for him to have so many carries and us not get more of a look at Wilson or even Scott (if he was even dressed). The game was essentially over and we were still feeding Bradshaw carries, why not get a look especially after Wilson showed what he could do with his tiny amount of carries. It's just a source of frustration as a fan because we can all see the talent out of Wilson and know he can't utilize it when he isnt in the game, let the kid play!
    Consistently, regardless of the journalist, the Giants are thought of as the best team for UFAs to try and get a role because this coaching staff is universally thought of as the most likely to play someone who earns the role regardless of when they're drafted.

the point is the giants don't HAVE to start their rookies, and that's not a bad thing.

what's the big friggin rush? because Wilson's got jets?
    sigpic

Comment

Coach Coughlin is a great coach, I'm not doubting his decision on not giving Wilson a bigger role although I wish he can contribute more. I just hate how he does rookies at times. If this team didn't have a QB and we drafted Luck or RG3, they'll be sitting on the bench just like Eli did. Some positions like the HB gotta almost get put in immediately and learn on the fly. Just because we won 2 Superbowls in 5 years doesn't mean he's the supreme all knowing coach... more than us obviously but how he handle rookies sometimes kind of bothers me.

Comment

Originally posted by BurnerNYG View Post
        Coach Coughlin is a great coach, I'm not doubting his decision on not giving Wilson a bigger role although I wish he can contribute more. I just hate how he does rookies at times. If this team didn't have a QB and we drafted Luck or RG3, they'll be sitting on the bench just like Eli did. Some positions like the HB gotta almost get put in immediately and learn on the fly. Just because we won 2 Superbowls in 5 years doesn't mean he's the supreme all knowing coach... more than us obviously but how he handle rookies sometimes kind of bothers me.
        Eli became a starter his rookie season.

Comment

49ers are ball hawks, I'd be weary of him getting the ball there

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud57 View Post
            Even Tebow gets more carries than this guy
            And how's that been working out?
            “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by yoeddy View Post
              Eli became a starter his rookie season.
              Yeah like week nine or ten. HB's are gonna fumble, it's the nature of the business. Defenders get paid to tackle and go after the ball. Does he need to protect the ball better? Yes without a doubt but that doesn't mean he should be benched because of one fumble. I'm talking about the Dallas game obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by drewz View Post
                49ers are ball hawks, I'd be weary of him getting the ball there
                this...im all for giving dw more carries, just dont know if the 9ers r the team to do it against.

Comment

Originally posted by BurnerNYG View Post
                  Yeah like week nine or ten. HB's are gonna fumble, it's the nature of the business. Defenders get paid to tackle and go after the ball. Does he need to protect the ball better? Yes without a doubt but that doesn't mean he should be benched because of one fumble. I'm talking about the Dallas game obviously.
                  Big division game...rookie's first NFL game ever...lots on the line. Isn't that exactly the time when you would rather go with experience?

Comment

[QUOTE=yoeddy;525304]
                    Originally posted by GiantRoc View Post

Goal-line and short yardage is not a significant role? .
                    That is corret. His role was ,"Here is the ball. Run in that hole." Straight ahead Power. Limited responsiblity. Limited situations. Limited roll. I absolutely agree with you on that last statement. I have faith that they have prepared him. You don't really know what you have until you use it though.
                    # 80 (For FBomb)

Comment

Originally posted by Dwinsballgames View Post
                      until the kid demonstrates that he knows all the protections, he will not be lined up in the backfield for more than a few plays per game. That's just the way it is.
                      not to mention, catch the ball, as hes dropped 3outta4 passes his way, and hes all ready demonstrated fumbling issues. I mean, the TD run and KO returns were mostly due to insane blocking.. The holes were so big Hynoski could of ran wild.. That said, it would be all right to give em a few extra looks, but its no ones fault but his own, to why its taking this long...

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                        How much time do you spend watching Wilson in practice?
                        about 0. maybe negative time.

as you can tell, I am obsessed with im. just like I was jacobs. just like Bradshaw. Then darell scott. And now Wilson. Before long it will be some other back...

Comment

Originally posted by Dwinsballgames View Post
                          until the kid demonstrates that he knows all the protections, he will not be lined up in the backfield for more than a few plays per game. That's just the way it is.
                          Agreed. However then figure out creative ways to get the ball in his hands. line up both AB and Wilson in back field. Let AB block and send wilson out for a pass in space.. even a screen with some blocking this kid can turn into a HUGE gain. he has the ablility to make something out of nothing. but he cant do that sitting on the bench
                          Football has been very, very good to us.
                          After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                          But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                          2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                          3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                          4-New York Giants!!!
                          5-NE
                          Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

he could be the guy that SF doesnt account for and could be the XFactor in that game Sunday
                            Football has been very, very good to us.
                            After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
                            But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
                            2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
                            3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
                            4-New York Giants!!!
                            5-NE
                            Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Comment

oh yeah and I was high on Brown too before he tore his achilles. I guess they Giants just have a special nac for drafting RB's. I mean i know they are a dime a dozen but it seems like we get consistent production from relatively inexpensive contracts. And that is HUGE

Take WR for example. We are paying ALL of our wideouts for a few million less than what Brandon Marshall or Vincent Jackson is making alone. in base salary.

Sometimes we need to look at the ratio of production to salary in order to evaluate the effectiveness of our FO as it pertains to different positions.
                              Example: WR, FB,RB,TE (seems to be all offense, huh?) we are doing an excellent job the past few years with getting production for a low price.

Safety, CB, DL not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by miked1958 View Post
                                he could be the guy that SF doesnt account for and could be the XFactor in that game Sunday

Comment

Working...
                                X