Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surprise! Giants 6th ranked rushing average so far

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Surprise! Giants 6th ranked rushing average so far

    With a 4.8 yard per carry average, the G-Men have the sixth ranked rushing average, a stark contrast vs. last year's abysmal performance.

    In the 2011 regular season, the team was dead last in average per carry with 3.5 yards per game for the first 16 games.

    The meaning?

    1) It enhances the ability for Eli to buy time to throw
    2) The offensive line is jelling well, a big surprise, though maybe more so with David Diehl being forced out of the lineup.

    The Brandon Jacobs-less 49ers are currently tops in the NFL with a 6.1 rushing average. It's also a big improvement over last year's season.

  • #2
    Next week is going to be a huge test.
    "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

    "Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

    Comment


    • #3
      lets not get ahead of ourselves. in our 2 losses, we couldnt run the ball consistently for jack. i want to see the OL continue its level of play and not regress s better defenses

      Comment


      • #4
        It's definitely a good start. I'll be happier when we run with more consistency. We had a couple big run games that skewed the numbers a bit. It would be great if we can maintain this improvement. It's a hopeful sign for sure though.
        # 80 (For FBomb)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GiantRoc View Post
          It's definitely a good start. I'll be happier when we run with more consistency. We had a couple big run games that skewed the numbers a bit. It would be great if we can maintain this improvement. It's a hopeful sign for sure though.
          It's also a huge factor heading into SF this year. The 49ers cannot count on simply launching on Eli like they did in the NFC Championship game. Now, they have to respect the Giants' rushing game.

          Similarly, however, with the abysmal tackling of the Giants' front four, and the 49ers great success running the ball, they will have a similar advantage over the Giants when on offense.

          Hopefully, Brandon Jacobs will be back to motivate the Giant defense and bring down the 49er average.

          Comment


          • #6
            sf is top 3 in every d category including rush defense...we gotta pass to setup the run

            Comment


            • #7
              Look at the teams they have played, their defensive numbers don't mean crap. Not saying their defense is not great but those numbers are bs.

              Comment


              • #8
                Those numbers where inflated last week due to one great game. Lets see how they do this week.

                Comment


                • #9
                  yeah that was strange last season ... glad we are getting back to where we belong ... altho this could be a tough week to run
                  Apologize to Melo 5

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
                    sf is top 3 in every d category including rush defense...we gotta pass to setup the run
                    Looks like that's been our only working strategy for the past 2 seasons....whenever we try to run to set up the pass, neither work. We get stuffed on the first two runs, then are forced into a typical 3rd and 11 and get an incompletion.

                    I love when Eli starts the game with a deep play action pass and just keeps passing non stop for 3 more plays. That always opens up the run.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
                      Next week is going to be a huge test.
                      If we can pull off a decent run game against the 9ers this weekend, I will be convinced that the run game is back. If that is the case, this team will be even more dangerous.
                      Reese, gone. Check! Bench McAdoo Doo, gone. Check! Let's Giants 2018.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by egyptian420 View Post
                        Looks like that's been our only working strategy for the past 2 seasons....whenever we try to run to set up the pass, neither work. We get stuffed on the first two runs, then are forced into a typical 3rd and 11 and get an incompletion.

                        I love when Eli starts the game with a deep play action pass and just keeps passing non stop for 3 more plays. That always opens up the run.
                        SHHHHH.... that's heresy to Killdrive.

                        I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by RoanokeFan
                          Actually, we're 7th in the NFC and 12th in the NFL
                          If you re-read the original post, the stat quoted is the 6th in the NFL in average gain per carry, not total yards gained.

                          See it here at NFL.com (Just choose complete list of team rushing leaders, then sort by average yards per carry).

                          To me, that is the significant rushing stat because it better measures the success of the running game--the thing that happens in between Eli's passes--and which sets up the passing game.

                          The Giants would be higher in rush offense if the passing game wasn't so successful, so that there would be more rushing attempts in the course of a game.

                          For those who say the stats are skewed, for example because of the long TD run by David Wilson, all teams have long runs that expand the stats. Some teams have weaker schedules than others that also skew the stats.
                          Last edited by GreenZone; 10-11-2012, 11:24 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            haha, I love early year rankings... so meaningless. We had one unreal strong game, 2 average games, and 2 bad games rushing the ball.

                            Also, Rushes per carry can be scued as well. For example, David Wilson hasnt had many touches and looked bad in all but one so far that he took 40 yards to the house. That exaggerates his YPC.
                            Last edited by TheAnalyst; 10-11-2012, 11:21 AM.
                            Life is like a Giants game, you never know what you are going to get.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by GreenZone View Post
                              If you re-read the original post, the stat quoted is the 6th in the NFL in average gain per carry, not total yards gained.

                              See it here at NFL.com (Just choose complete list of team rushing leaders, then sort by average yards per carry).

                              To me, that is the significant rushing stat because it better measures the success of the running game--the thing that happens in between Eli's passes--and which sets up the passing game.

                              The Giants would be higher in rush offense if the passing game wasn't so successful, so that there would be more rushing attempts in the course of a game.

                              For those who say the stats are skewed, for example because of the long TD run by David Wilson, all teams have long runs that expand the stats. Some teams have weaker schedules than others that also skew the stats.
                              I didn't say anything was skewed. I just provided facts to add to the discussion.
                              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X