Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did our defense blitz against the 9ners and...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did our defense blitz against the 9ners and...

if they did, how many times they did it. Also who thinks the Giant's defense needs to blitz and what percent they should blitz if you do think they should blitz?

Yes. I don't remember the exact count, but I heard yesterday they were very successful when sending 5 or more on Sunday.

Comment

Define blitz first. Is it sending more than 4 players? What about a zone blitz with only 4 rushers but a defensive lineman dropping in coverage instead?

And are we talking only against the pass? Or run blitz?

Comment

if you're not getting front 4 pressure, the solution isn't blitzing, unless you've got very talented blitzers who can make a difference. we don't

our front 4 was giving them fits, so they try to doubling up/chipping guys, when you blitz it confuses blocking assignments and forces more one on one situations.

If a front 4 is getting man handled, bringing blitzers could help, or it could be a huge advantage for the offense because it doesn't necessarily pressure the QB and takes guys out of coverage.

our defense will live and die based on what pressure our front 4 can bring.

there looked like there was alot of coverage sacks sunday, but that's just from memory.
        sigpic

Comment

I usually define "blitz" as a LB or DB rushing the passer (which includes zone blitz).

And yes, PF did blitz a bit. It's the difference between night and day for our defense when they blitz. More teams are keeping tight ends and RB in to block (part of why we didn't hear vernon davis' name that much last week), which foils our 4-man front easily. But when more guys are kept in to block, it's the responsibility of the defense to realize that and send more rushers. There's always an 11 on 10 advantage since the QB himself can't block. Max protect means fewer passing targets to worry about covering.

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by CDN_G-FAN View Post
            if you're not getting front 4 pressure, the solution isn't blitzing, unless you've got very talented blitzers who can make a difference. we don't

our front 4 was giving them fits, so they try to doubling up/chipping guys, when you blitz it confuses blocking assignments and forces more one on one situations.

If a front 4 is getting man handled, bringing blitzers could help, or it could be a huge advantage for the offense because it doesn't necessarily pressure the QB and takes guys out of coverage.

our defense will live and die based on what pressure our front 4 can bring.

there looked like there was alot of coverage sacks sunday, but that's just from memory.
            I'm hoping Stevie Brown becomes one of THOSE blitzers
            “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

They blitzed and actually didn't get there most of the time or at least the times I notice them sending 5-6 guys.......but the back end coverage was GREAT all day......that and Smith couldn't hit the broad side of a bar on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                Define blitz first. Is it sending more than 4 players? What about a zone blitz with only 4 rushers but a defensive lineman dropping in coverage instead?

And are we talking only against the pass? Or run blitz?
                A blitz is a blitz right so how many blitzes the defense came with against the 49ers?

Comment

Blitz !---------Smitz ! ------- SACK HIM ! lol

GO Giants...........................Score some TD's

Comment

most every fan thinks good defense is blitzing on almost every down, its not, you can open your self up for those quick passes and bubble screens.

Comment

They did bring a few extra guys at times but also used stunts to help create pressure. Overall, the line just did a better job of getting into the backfield though.
                      My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Comment

Originally posted by Diamondring View Post
                        A blitz is a blitz right so how many blitzes the defense came with against the 49ers?
                        No. You need to define what a blitz is before I can answer your question.

Comment

Originally posted by brad View Post
                          They did bring a few extra guys at times but also used stunts to help create pressure. Overall, the line just did a better job of getting into the backfield though.
                          Yeah, that was a welcome change.
                          "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

"Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                            No. You need to define what a blitz is before I can answer your question.
                            Then don't answere it. I need nothing from you. Blitz is rushing more than blockers the offense has so forget you.

Comment

Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
                              I usually define "blitz" as a LB or DB rushing the passer (which includes zone blitz).

And yes, PF did blitz a bit. It's the difference between night and day for our defense when they blitz. More teams are keeping tight ends and RB in to block (part of why we didn't hear vernon davis' name that much last week), which foils our 4-man front easily. But when more guys are kept in to block, it's the responsibility of the defense to realize that and send more rushers. There's always an 11 on 10 advantage since the QB himself can't block. Max protect means fewer passing targets to worry about covering.
                              Excellent point, and one of the reasons why the Giants pass rush was struggling earlier this season.

If they are keeping extra guys in to block, then it almost obligates you to send more than 4, because otherwise, if you give the QB enough time, someone is eventually going to get open.
                              "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

"Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

Comment

Working...
                              X