Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inside The Numbers: WR Cruz's 25th Game

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...d-71f59489be98

Excerpt: "WR Victor Cruz played in his 25th regular season game when the Giants defeated the 49ers

Victor Cruz's first NFL reception made just a small deposit in the Giants’ collective memory bank. It occurred early in the third quarter of a Monday night victory over St. Louis on Sept. 19, 2011. On a third down from the Giants’ 23-yard line, Cruz caught a pass from Eli Manning in the center of the field for a 10-yard gain and a first down.

That one small step for Cruz has turned into one huge contribution for the Giants.

On Sunday in San Francisco, Cruz played in his 25th regular season game when the Giants defeated the 49ers, 26-3. In those 25 games, he has caught 125 passes for 2,032 yards and 15 touchdowns. Cruz actually posted those numbers in just 21 games, because he had no receptions in any of his first four appearances.

Cruz has earned a spot among the players with the most catches and receiving yards through the first 25 games of a career in NFL history. And he is outpacing the vast majority of the most productive receivers the Giants have ever had.

Cruz’s 125 career receptions are tied for the sixth-most among players in their first 25 games:
    PLAYER TEAM RECEPTIONS
    Anquan Boldin Arizona Cardinals 154
    Reggie Bush New Orleans Saints 143
    Marques Colston New Orleans Saints 138
    Tom Fears Los Angeles Rams 131
    Charley Hennigan Houston Oilers 126
    Victor Cruz Giants 125
    Kellen Winslow Cleveland Browns 125

Cruz’s 2,032 receiving yards are the sixth-highest total through the first 25 games of a career in NFL history:

PLAYER TEAM REC. YARDS
    Charley Hennigan Houston Oilers 2,468
    Bill Groman Houston Oilers 2,453
    Billy Howton Green Bay Packers 2,138
    Lance Alworth San Diego Chargers 2,118
    Bob Hayes Dallas Cowboys 2,084
    Victor Cruz Giants 2,032

Cruz’s 125 receptions are the most ever by a Giants player in his first 25 games. He is second in receiving yards and touchdowns (tied with teammate Hakeem Nicks), trailing only Del Shofner, among Giants 25 games into their careers.

To see how Cruz stacks up in Giants history, we selected the players with the five-highest reception totals in franchise history: Amani Toomer, Tiki Barber, Joe Morrison, Jeremy Shockey and Ike Hilliard. We also chose Aaron Thomas, Earnest Gray and Shofner, who are 11th, 13th and 15th, respectively, on the franchise career-receptions list. Nicks, if he stays healthy, could push his way onto that list (he’s currently 19th with 219 career catches). For further comparison, we also looked at Chris Calloway and Plaxico Burress, who are seventh and 12th on the list, despite starting their careers with other teams.

Totals through their 25 games as a Giant:

Name Receptions Yards Touchdowns
    Victor Cruz 125 2,032 15
    Amani Toomer 20 307 2
    Tiki Barber 70 594 3
    Joe Morrison 47 565 4
    Jeremy Shockey 124 1,468 4
    Ike Hilliard 81 1,136 4
    Aaron Thomas 23 485 3
    Earnest Gray 59 945 8
    Del Shofner 115 2,146 22
    Hakeem Nicks 116 1,686 15
    Plaxico Burress 116 1,837 13
    Chris Calloway 37 516 3
    " Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

CRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZ

:-)
    Life is like a Giants game, you never know what you are going to get.

Comment

I'm guessing Jerry Reese is working on his plan to sign Nicks and Cruz
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

thanks for those numbers, yeah Cruz just makes you smile ... it's awesome ... he literally can not be covered and what a partnership he has with 2 time Super Bowl MVP
        Apologize to Melo 5

Comment

Originally posted by GMan-67 View Post
          thanks for those numbers, yeah Cruz just makes you smile ... it's awesome ... he literally can not be covered and what a partnership he has with 2 time Super Bowl MVP
          It's funny you say that, while walking my dog this morning I thought about how Cruz just manages to get open no matter how they defend him. It was most evident when Nicks was oput injured.
          Last edited by RoanokeFan; 10-16-2012, 04:34 PM.

Comment

I sure hope so, that Reese is working on figuring out how to keep both Nicks and Cruz...have a feeling that Cruz will get a new contract during the bye week!!

Comment

Originally posted by rxc999 View Post
              I sure hope so, that Reese is working on figuring out how to keep both Nicks and Cruz...have a feeling that Cruz will get a new contract during the bye week!!
              That would make sense

Comment

Wow, that's pretty impressive. Cruz is so talented.
                Mood: WOOF!

Comment

keep it going Vic........keep it going....
                  "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                  You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                    keep it going Vic........keep it going....
                    I sure hope JR can sign Nicks and Cruz to keep Eli Company for another 4 years or so

Comment

... he literally can not be covered
                      You just said the magic words. And this my friend is why i believe he is the best receiver the giants has ever had
                      Don't take it personal, we're just debating.

~Big Mike~

Comment

Originally posted by Marvelousmik View Post
                        You just said the magic words. And this my friend is why i believe he is the best receiver the giants has ever had
                        except that Nicks is better.

But all time Nicks #1, Cruz #2, and they are both on the same team at the same time, and roughly the same age. Pretty incredible.

Comment

This is what they need to staple to Gilbride's forehead the week before the Philly rematch.....

*The Giants improved to 39-10 under Tom Coughlin when they have a back rush for at least 100 yards. They are 61-25 when the team rushes for at least 100 yards and 17-31 when it doesn’t.
                          "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

"Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                            It's funny you say that, while walking my dog this morning I thought about how Cruz just manages to get open no matter how they defend him. It was most evident when Nicks was oput injured.
                            Yea, I agree, he really proved that while Nicks helps any gameplan tremendously, Cruz has the ability to get open against any defense with or without him.

Comment

Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
                              This is what they need to staple to Gilbride's forehead the week before the Philly rematch.....
                              We won a superbowl last year with the 32nd ranked rushing attack in the NFL, this team since 09 is just as capable of winning a game through the air just as much as it is on the ground. I don't know how anyone brings this statistic up anymore. We're a top 3 NFL passing attack with arguably the best tandem of starting WRs in the league and one of the best quarterbacks in the league. Gilbride needs nothing taped to his forehead.

Comment

Working...
                              X