Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eli Intelligence Leads to Lack Of Sacks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Eli Intelligence Leads to Lack Of Sacks

    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...OgMV0OaCnHKzaO

    Excerpt: "David Carr never has seen it before and never has noticed anyone else do it. Only Eli Manning. It is unique, and one of the reasons why Manning is the least-sacked quarterback in the NFL.

    When the ball is thrown amid pressure in the pocket, most quarterbacks first fix their eyes downfield to see if the pass is complete. Manning looks elsewhere.

    “The biggest thing that stands out about him, and it’s kind of hard to notice if you’re not in the meeting room with him, you notice after he throws the ball, if he gets hit he looks at the number,’’ Carr, the Giants backup quarterback, said yesterday. “Who hit me? It kind of catalogues, it registers in his brain. Where was that protection? Where were we weak a little bit? Where was that breakdown? Where could it possibly have been? Can I get the ball out faster? He’s done that since I’ve been here.’’ Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

  • #2
    great article

    "Asked to compare Manning to RG3, guard Chris Snee said, “Clearly if there was a race, 100 yards, I think [RG3] would beat Eli by 30.’’

    Comment


    • #3
      The end of the article makes me think how incredible it would be to see a video of Elis' eluding the pressure. Even the times when he eludes it by getting hammered the second the ball is released.

      Wish I ahd either the collection of footage or creativity in video editing to put it together. I have the technical chops, but i lack the creative knack thatr some of you folks have for making highlight reels. Hats off to you.
      #80

      Comment


      • #4
        very cool read...thanks..
        Eli is elusive in the pocket. His pocket awareness is incredible. Plus he is a student. He is always looking to improve. Not every QB does that.
        "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
        You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

        Comment


        • #5
          It's all about being a cohesive unit. Eli and Baas put them in the right protections and the OL and backs all executive their blocks. Everyone holds a big piece to the puzzle.
          All Hail The New York Giants!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by GameTime View Post
            very cool read...thanks..
            Eli is elusive in the pocket. His pocket awareness is incredible. Plus he is a student. He is always looking to improve. Not every QB does that.
            I have always marveled at his ability to get up after being leveled, straighten out his uniform, and just go back to the huddle. Whatever else Eli is he is TOUGH
            “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
              I have always marveled at his ability to get up after being leveled, straighten out his uniform, and just go back to the huddle. Whatever else Eli is he is TOUGH
              Yes...and all the while, he has that "aw shucks" look...incredible...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                I have always marveled at his ability to get up after being leveled, straighten out his uniform, and just go back to the huddle. Whatever else Eli is he is TOUGH
                yes he is.....no doubt. Also never points a finger or throws an olineman or their performance under the bus.
                "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                  yes he is.....no doubt. Also never points a finger or throws an olineman or their performance under the bus.
                  Or looks to the refs crying for a flag. Like some other well known QBs...
                  "Team sports are a different animal. They tap into deep seeded tribal instincts. Our team vs your team used to be our tribe vs your tribe. Winner takes all – land, plunder, women. You inherently care when you are aligned with a tribe/team. The players are interchangeable but team always stays the same." - JOESONDO from UG forum

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by timmytimm3 View Post
                    Or looks to the refs crying for a flag. Like some other well known QBs...
                    He'll look at the ref when it's warranted - unlike Brady who tries to coerce a flag if his shoe gets untied from a play.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      i forget but there was pff stat where eli was like the best qb when under pressure. he had the highest qb rating, completion % and yardage. it was for last year iirc. but watching him this year im positive he'll be up around 1rst again this year.
                      what people used to knock eli for repeatedly was throwing off his back foot. well yeah, when theres a clean pocket, throwing off the back foot is lazy. a clean pocket is a luxury in the nfl, except for a few teams like NE but even their OL is struggling now...but back to my point, Steve Young, Dilfer, Jaws, any analyst who was a QB in the nfl will tell u the qb has to have the ability to make throws off the back foot. in this regard, i believe eli is the most accurate qb in the league. the throws he makes under pressure is just put me in awe. this past game vs SF, Eli made a handful of throws on the run under pressure that were placed absolutely perfectly.

                      now, granted, eli has "chucked and ducked" some ints...but it comes with the territory of having a QB who can go 8 yrs w/o missing a game. and really, it was only 1 yr where it was really an issue and that was 2010 (when the OL was regressing and eli may have been trying to do too much to compensate for the D he saw in 2009?)

                      and a lot of credit needs to go to KG. the whole "study ur opponent while ur playing them" is something KG utilizes. he's said a bunch of times (and i dunno sometimes i think its good and others i dislike it) but KG does NOT script the first 2 series like almost every other team does. he actually calls somewhat generic plays to get a feel for what the D will do vs certain offensive looks. then the chess game starts from there and KG has had great offenses throughout his tenure here...i think that helped eli w his approach to study the D while he's facing them

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                        I have always marveled at his ability to get up after being leveled, straighten out his uniform, and just go back to the huddle. Whatever else Eli is he is TOUGH
                        San Fran playoff game comes to light. Eli just got up

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Possibly the best, if not a top five best article of the year. Such a pleasant change from the usual trite regurgitation that Schwartz usually offers.

                          Excellent work. Who knew he had it in him? Now, he's set the bar high and has a yardstick out there in the public for all to see.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
                            i forget but there was pff stat where eli was like the best qb when under pressure. he had the highest qb rating, completion % and yardage. it was for last year iirc. but watching him this year im positive he'll be up around 1rst again this year.
                            what people used to knock eli for repeatedly was throwing off his back foot. well yeah, when theres a clean pocket, throwing off the back foot is lazy. a clean pocket is a luxury in the nfl, except for a few teams like NE but even their OL is struggling now...but back to my point, Steve Young, Dilfer, Jaws, any analyst who was a QB in the nfl will tell u the qb has to have the ability to make throws off the back foot. in this regard, i believe eli is the most accurate qb in the league. the throws he makes under pressure is just put me in awe. this past game vs SF, Eli made a handful of throws on the run under pressure that were placed absolutely perfectly.

                            now, granted, eli has "chucked and ducked" some ints...but it comes with the territory of having a QB who can go 8 yrs w/o missing a game. and really, it was only 1 yr where it was really an issue and that was 2010 (when the OL was regressing and eli may have been trying to do too much to compensate for the D he saw in 2009?)

                            and a lot of credit needs to go to KG. the whole "study ur opponent while ur playing them" is something KG utilizes. he's said a bunch of times (and i dunno sometimes i think its good and others i dislike it) but KG does NOT script the first 2 series like almost every other team does. he actually calls somewhat generic plays to get a feel for what the D will do vs certain offensive looks. then the chess game starts from there and KG has had great offenses throughout his tenure here...i think that helped eli w his approach to study the D while he's facing them
                            PFF loved Eli last year precisely because of his ability to avoid pressure. They had Diehl and McKenzie rated as some of the worst linemen in the league and marveled at Eli's ability to perform under pressure

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by yoeddy View Post
                              Yes...and all the while, he has that "aw shucks" look...incredible...
                              That has to be disheartening to defenses after 30+ minutes of that. The whole point of pressure (outside getting the sack at least) is to make the QB force bad decisions. Eli just can't be thrown off his game once he's on it. It's a unique quality that in modern QBs I only see in Eli (and a little bit in his brother, although i'm not sure if Peyton has ever called out an Oline man or not)...
                              Last edited by Toadofsteel; 10-19-2012, 12:42 AM.

                              I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X