Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Gun And Run Is Back

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Gun And Run Is Back

    The Giants will put on a clinic offensively. 3- RBs who are more than capable. 5 WRs aided by a very good TE. An Offensive line that moved the niners around, can absolutely Bang open holes against Washiongton. Combine that with a Wizard for a QB, spells Doom for the Redskins.

  • #2
    Are you talking about that stuff from the 90s that yhe Houston Oilers use to do?
    MANNING TO CRUZ....

    Comment


    • #3
      that was the run and gun.

      Comment


      • #4
        What ever it is the redskins are going to get it early and often
        Football has been very, very good to us.
        After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
        But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

        # of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

        1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
        2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
        3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
        4-New York Giants!!!
        5-NE
        Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

        ***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

        Comment


        • #5
          Yeah... let's hope we aren't going to the "run and shoot" that Houston used to run in the 90's... as explosive as it could be, it ultimately ended up being the "chuck and duck" because all you had to do was kill the QB, and many did exactly that. The passing attack the Giants use is similar in some ways... but this is not the chuck and duck, thank god!
          My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by brad View Post
            Yeah... let's hope we aren't going to the "run and shoot" that Houston used to run in the 90's... as explosive as it could be, it ultimately ended up being the "chuck and duck" because all you had to do was kill the QB, and many did exactly that. The passing attack the Giants use is similar in some ways... but this is not the chuck and duck, thank god!
            kg's offensive scheme is the run n gun/shoot. KG was the OC for Houston when Moon ran it. The offense puts up a lot of yards n points, but before the NYG, i dont believe a team using it as their offense had ever won the SB.
            It started as the Air Coryell offense at SD, and morphed/evolved into what Houston ran with KG, and it evoled/morphed into the offense we see him running for the NYG

            Comment


            • #7
              Call me old school but I still prefer stetting the pass up with the run. Guess I'd suck as a coordinator.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
                kg's offensive scheme is the run n gun/shoot. KG was the OC for Houston when Moon ran it. The offense puts up a lot of yards n points, but before the NYG, i dont believe a team using it as their offense had ever won the SB.
                It started as the Air Coryell offense at SD, and morphed/evolved into what Houston ran with KG, and it evoled/morphed into the offense we see him running for the NYG
                Yes KG developed that offense in Houston to great success for a while... as defenses began simply playing "kill the QB" it fell in production and ultimately led to Buddy Ryan punching KG during a game. It has evolved from that, and while it does have many similar aspects, especially in the receiver options routes it isn't the same. If I recall, the run and shoot did not use a tight end and often used 4-5 receivers.
                My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

                Comment


                • #9
                  or the kgun of buffalo?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by brad View Post
                    Yes KG developed that offense in Houston to great success for a while... as defenses began simply playing "kill the QB" it fell in production and ultimately led to Buddy Ryan punching KG during a game. It has evolved from that, and while it does have many similar aspects, especially in the receiver options routes it isn't the same. If I recall, the run and shoot did not use a tight end and often used 4-5 receivers.
                    Brad, you are absolutely correct in your statements. Just a little side note: Buddy Ryan was such a legend in his own mind that during practices when gearing up for an opposing team, he would not set up his defense to help KG's offense prepare. Ryan was and is a complete fool. KG's O was outshining his D.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      sideline - do you mean on weds when they install the offense for the week? if so do you have proof of this?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by brad View Post
                        Yes KG developed that offense in Houston to great success for a while... as defenses began simply playing "kill the QB" it fell in production and ultimately led to Buddy Ryan punching KG during a game. It has evolved from that, and while it does have many similar aspects, especially in the receiver options routes it isn't the same. If I recall, the run and shoot did not use a tight end and often used 4-5 receivers.
                        Yep, it was used in Atlanta during the Glanville/June Jones days as well and left the quarterback pretty much unprotected with the exception of his linemen. Running backs, when they were in were usually put in the slot and were smaller and faster(built more like receivers). Quarterbacks were punished. It was kind of like anything new...in the beginning it works pretty well(ala' greatest show on turf, wild cat, etc.) then usually falters when a counter is found.

                        I think the run and gun(aka run and shoot) began in the USFL with the Houston Gamblers. June Jones was a receivers coach then.
                        Last edited by Rat_bastich; 10-20-2012, 08:47 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
                          kg's offensive scheme is the run n gun/shoot. KG was the OC for Houston when Moon ran it. The offense puts up a lot of yards n points, but before the NYG, i dont believe a team using it as their offense had ever won the SB.
                          It started as the Air Coryell offense at SD, and morphed/evolved into what Houston ran with KG, and it evoled/morphed into the offense we see him running for the NYG
                          run and shoot did not develop out of Air Coryell at all

                          they are two completely different offenses

                          Run and Shoot was created before Coryells offense by Glen Ellison , the coach of a high school team somewhere in Ohio ....and perfected by Darell Davis who was the OC at Portland State

                          both before the Coryell ran the Sid Gillman offense

                          actually it is more than likely that Air Coryell developed out of Run and Shoot because the Gillman offense had aspects of run and shoot and Don Coryell credits the development of his offense to GIllman

                          and Joe Gibbs won three Superbowls running a hybrid of the Coryell and run and shoot
                          Last edited by YATittle1962; 10-21-2012, 01:13 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
                            run and shoot did not develop out of Air Coryell at all

                            they are two completely different offenses

                            Run and Shoot was created before Coryells offense by Glen Ellison , the coach of a high school team somewhere in Ohio ....and perfected by Darell Davis who was the OC at Portland State

                            both before the Coryell ran the Sid Gillman offense

                            actually it is more than likely that Air Coryell developed out of Run and Shoot because the Gillman offense had aspects of run and shoot and Don Coryell credits the development of his offense to GIllman

                            and Joe Gibbs won three Superbowls running a hybrid of the Coryell and run and shoot
                            sorry i had it backwards. air coryell was a run n gun concept i guess. and i didnt know bout gibbs, i read that article that RF or you mghta posted about the offense. iirc, it was before the SB. that article mentioned that no run n gun offense had won a SB until 2007 fwiw

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              This is what makes the O so dangerous...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X