Jerry Reese and Cruz

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Reese and Cruz

I feel bad for Jerry Reese ... there is no position of strength for negotiating Cruz's contract.

He's literally a top three receiver in the league. He's not a diva. He's humble. He's hard working (remember he begged off Dancing with the Stars this year). He's dedicated. He's not injury prone. He's done it on the biggest stage.

How can you pay him anything less than one of the top three receivers in the league? And how will we be able to afford that?!
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

CUT ELI AND JPP!
    Mood: WOOF!

Comment

s@cks being this good

Comment

But but but he joined the Illuminati

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
          I feel bad for Jerry Reese ... there is no position of strength for negotiating Cruz's contract.
          He just needs to point to his two SB rings. The Giants are in prime position to get another one with in the next two or three years. Doubt Cruz can go anywhere else and have as good a chance at winning another title than if he stayed with the Giants.

Comment

How many years can we keep Cruz locked up for if we don't negotiate a new long-term deal -- between what's left on his current deal and the number of times that we can tag him? That's JR's negotiating power . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by NYFG View Post
              He just needs to point to his two SB rings. The Giants are in prime position to get another one with in the next two or three years. Doubt Cruz can go anywhere else and have as good a chance at winning another title than if he stayed with the Giants.
              That has a little less weight since Cruz has one of those rings (and was a big part of why we got that one). And he's easily worth $10+ million a year and I just don't see the Giants willing to pony up that kind of scratch.
              I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Originally posted by GMENAGAIN View Post
                How many years can we keep Cruz locked up for if we don't negotiate a new long-term deal -- between what's left on his current deal and the number of times that we can tag him? That's JR's negotiating power . . . .
                After QB, receivers have the highest tag number right now. If you're going to tag him, might as well just give him a deal. I just hope we can figure out how we can do that with the utter lack of cap space we have right now (and until 2014 basically).

Comment

After QB, receivers have the highest tag number right now. If you're going to tag him, might as well just give him a deal. I just hope we can figure out how we can do that with the utter lack of cap space we have right now (and until 2014 basically).
                  Regardless, the prospect of playing on one year deals for the next 3 or 4 years is what scares the player . . . .that's where JR's negotiating power lies.

Comment

He's literally a top three receiver in the league. He's not a diva. He's humble. He's hard working (remember he begged off Dancing with the Stars this year). He's dedicated. He's not injury prone. He's done it on the biggest stage.

How can you pay him anything less than one of the top three receivers in the league? And how will we be able to afford that?!
                    Reese needs to sign Cruz before his contract ends and he hits the open market. If there were any doubts of Cruz being a one year wonder, they have been alleviated.

Comment

Originally posted by GMENAGAIN View Post
                      Regardless, the prospect of playing on one year deals for the next 3 or 4 years is what scares the player . . . .that's where JR's negotiating power lies.

That's not how the franchise tag works and there is now an escalator for each successive year. A huge deal would still be cheaper then franchising him for more then one year.

Comment

Cruz is a restricted free agent after this year, so he doesn't get UFA franchise tag money. RFA tender is something like $2 million, so if there's no long term deal in the off season, he'll still be a Giant next year.

And I'm sorry, as much as I love Cruz.. He is not a 10 million/yr receiver.. that is Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald money.. He's worth something along the lines that Antonio Brown got like 7yr/45mill..

Comment

What is Ahmad making? I know he signed a new contract recently. If cutting Ahmad n not resigning Osi and black unicorn meant keeping Cruz n nicks, I'm in. Roll with brown n Wilson.
                          That's why we discuss, We all have different perspectives. Ride and Die with the NY Giants

Comment

Originally posted by drewz View Post
                            Cruz is a restricted free agent after this year, so he doesn't get UFA franchise tag money. RFA tender is something like $2 million, so if there's no long term deal in the off season, he'll still be a Giant next year.

And I'm sorry, as much as I love Cruz.. He is not a 10 million/yr receiver.. that is Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald money.. He's worth something along the lines that Antonio Brown got like 7yr/45mill..
                            I totally disagree with you. Cruz is worth every bit to this team that Megatron and Fitzgerald are to their teams. Cruz is the spark plug that makes our WR corp work so well together. He makes the huge play when we need it the most.

If you ask me, Cruz deserves Calvin Johnson money and Nicks deserves to make less.

Comment

That's not how the franchise tag works and there is now an escalator for each successive year. A huge deal would still be cheaper then franchising him for more then one year.
                              The Giants avoid the franchise tag. They have sparingly applied it to bridge negotiations but they want to have long term agreements with play makers.
                              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Working...
                              X