Not Liking Our Defense ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Liking Our Defense ...

... but while we are #24 in total defense, we are #9 in points scored against.

I have absolutely no faith in our defense BUT they do seem to make the stops (most times) when they need to. Like one of those bad action movies where the hero diffuses the bomb with a microsecond left on the timer.

What are your thoughts on our defense and Perry Fewell?
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Certainly something to be concerned about. It needs to improve as well as our running game.

Comment

I have faith because they seem to come up with big playts at times. 5-2 I cant really complain much. The pics put them in two bad situations yesterday.
      They kept the score close and the O was able to win it. They also held Morris quiet in the 2nd half.
      "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
      You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

I've been defending them but I'm getting tired of doing so. I think they have talent but are not consistent. At least they made adjustments yesterday, started to get pressure on the QB, and force some TO's.

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
          Certainly something to be concerned about. It needs to improve as well as our running game.
          I don't think anything can be gleaned about the running game from Sundays game. There wasn't any real attempt to establish a running game.
          Last edited by JB456; 10-22-2012, 03:17 PM.

Comment

They just aren't consistent. At times they look like the number one defense in the league, and then the worst. So I don't know, I hope they show up Sunday.
            Mood: WOOF!

Comment

I give them a pass yesterday because they faced a very unique player for the first time.

No excuses this week though . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                I have faith because they seem to come up with big playts at times. 5-2 I cant really complain much. The pics put them in two bad situations yesterday.
                They kept the score close and the O was able to win it. They also held Morris quiet in the 2nd half.
                I agree, although my "faith" probably looks more like "closing my eyes and crossing my fingers". Unfortunately, Fewell's game plan often seems to consist of the same.

BUT you are right ... they get the job done, one way or the other.

I'd just like to get through some of these games without punting my cat through the window, ya know?
                I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

This year the defense seems more worried about generating the turnovers when there's open field behind them. It's only at the goal line where they become 100% committed to all out stopping the offense. It's nice enough when the turnovers happen, but if not, then our defense is usually sunk.

I wish we could generate the pass rush we could last year. It was nice to see that again vs the 49ers, but other than that our pass rush has been largely non-existent... seems like PF is starting to truly mold this defense in his image.

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

The stats that matter the most when discussing defense are points allowed and 3rd down percentage.

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
                      What are your thoughts on our defense and Perry Fewell?
                      Bottom line is points scored against, I suppose. Our defense, under Fewell, seems to be "Bend-Don't-Break" with a lot of "Read and React". We always seem to be two steps behind the opposing offense, one step for "reading" and another for "reacting". We always seem to be keeping our defense on the field forever. We cannot, for whatever reason, put an end to drives unless the opposing offense screws up - even on 3rd or 4th and very long. If you are a fan of the defensive game - which I am - then it is very difficult to watch. I like defensive domination, hard hits, and big turnovers. What we have is conservative, almost afraid. We play between the 20's and then tighten up a bit. Never risk surrendering a big play. I'd prefer if the defense dictated the game. When we ****-canned the read and react last year, the defense woke up and began to command the games - all the way through the Superbowl. Seems like this year we start out trying to succeed with what failed us last year. We changed up a lot of stuff against SF, then apparently resorted to the same old BS against the 4Skins - who - if they were really any good - should have beaten us silly with four quarters of running the ball down our throats. We made some personnel adjustments at the half, which is more adjusting than I usually see. I felt we needed to make adjustments during the first drive yesterday. A better team would have beat our defense silly and used the clock up. I think Fewell is pretty good, I don't mind him compared to some others before him, but I think- or so it seems - that he tries too hard for too long to get the player personnel to rise up to his schemes when they really cannot, both in-game and over the course of the season. As we simplify, we allow for more aggressive play and that seems to serve us well. I wouldn't fire PF, just hope he gets to making adjustments sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfam04 View Post
                        The stats that matter the most when discussing defense are points allowed and 3rd down percentage.
                        I agree about points ... not so sure I agree about 3rd down percentage (especially if you're giving up a lot of yards on first and second down to not even get to a third down).

However the Giants are #6 in 3rd down percentage.

Soooooo ....

Comment

Blackburn was AWFUL again. But everyone will talk about how he got the fumble at the end, and ignore that the entire first half he got absolutely whipped by the redskins linemen and Morris.

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                            Blackburn was AWFUL again. But everyone will talk about how he got the fumble at the end, and ignore that the entire first half he got absolutely whipped by the redskins linemen and Morris.
                            Blackburn does many things well but tackling fast and agile QBs isn't one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by JB456 View Post
                              Blackburn does many things well but tackling fast and agile QBs isn't one of them.
                              Morris isn't agile at all. I think that entire game Blackburn got off a block twice

Comment

Working...
                              X