Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants' Mark Herzlich Being Groomed for MLB Of The Future

http://www.giants101.com/2012/10/23/...of-the-future/

Excerpt: "New York Giants linebacker Mark Herzlich has not seen a lot of playing time this season. Despite a productive preseason and rumblings that he could take over at the starting middle linebacker position sooner rather than later, Herzlich has taken a backseat to teammate Chase Blackburn for the first seven games of 2012. Although Herzlich's lack of playing time is surprising, one would have a hard time finding a place for him within the Giants deep linebacker core. As the saying goes, don't fix something that's not broken.

The New York Giants defense has improved over the last two weeks. After holding Alex Smith and the San Francisco 49ers offense to three points, Big Blue forced four turnovers against the Washington Redskins to eek out a 27-23 victory. Perhaps the most influential turnover of the game came in the final minute, as Giants middle linebacker Chase Blackburn stripped Santana Moss of the football and effectively ended the game. Despite some blown coverages at time this season, Blackburn has played better than expected so far through 2012." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

i havent forgotten or given up on herz at all. i think the article explains it well. blackburn is earning his spot through these 1rst 7 weeks. Herz is the guy of the future who has a ton of potential and is athletically way more gifted than CB. and CB is prob the first person i'd pick to have herz learn from bc CB gets a lot done despite his lack of athleticism. if herz can take CB game and add his own athleticism to it...well thats what we've wanted at MLB forever it seems

Comment

I like chase. Hes not Urlacher but he fits in the Giants defense just fine.

Slip will be in here soon to complain about how awful Chase is. waiting...

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
        i havent forgotten or given up on herz at all. i think the article explains it well. blackburn is earning his spot through these 1rst 7 weeks. Herz is the guy of the future who has a ton of potential and is athletically way more gifted than CB. and CB is prob the first person i'd pick to have herz learn from bc CB gets a lot done despite his lack of athleticism. if herz can take CB game and add his own athleticism to it...well thats what we've wanted at MLB forever it seems
        Uh CB runs like a 4.7 in the 40 and Herzlich runs a 4.9. Who's the better athlete?
        Because of all of the effort and examination being poured into these predictions, the draft is a robust market that, in the aggregate, does a good job of sorting prospects from top to bottom.1 Yet despite so many people trying to “beat the market,” no single actor can do it consistently. Abnormal returns are likely due to luck, not skill. But that hasn’t stopped NFL executives from behaving with the confidence of traders.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...eat-the-draft/

Comment

When its all said and done - if you look at all the times Blackburn has made big plays for the Giants - you just gotta love him. Some people just have that sixth sense about making game-changing plays and CB is one of them. He does make his mistakes but it would take a special LB to provide a more positive effect than Chase is already providing for our defense.

Comment

Originally posted by B&RWarrior View Post
            Uh CB runs like a 4.7 in the 40 and Herzlich runs a 4.9. Who's the better athlete?
            Is that a trick question?
            “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Herzlich was also two years from being diagnosed with bone cancer. I think he gets a bit of a break on his 40 yard dash time.

Comment

Speed does not prove athleticism.. just sayin..

Comment

i love when people try to be a smart *** and end up just making themselves look like an ***...i guess i forgot that 40 times is the lone and sole indicator of athleticism. thanks for reminding me!

but in all seriousness, you'd have to be blind to think CB has as good a back pedal, lateral movement and fluidity in the hips when dropping off in coverage. in fact, if there was ONE thing Herz displayed to be better than CB it was his athleticism. that awesome jump int, that awesome pressure he got vs gb iirc last year...as i said i like CB. he's the now bc he's earned it with play. but i am excited for the future whether its next week or next year and Herz gets the MLB spot

Comment

Ya know, I keep hearing everyone saying how great Herzlich played in the preseason, but I watched every preseason snap and what I saw from Herzlich was a guy who made very few, if any, impact plays against 3rd and 4th stringers. I am a big Herzlich fan and I really wanted to see him "pop", but I just didn't . . . . .

Comment

The article was kind of sketchy to me. He says Chase has been a force in the run stopping when he has been just the opposite. But I guess compared to the rest of the team he has been a force. Also he says Rivers filled in admirably when JW was down. Rivers is supposed to be WAY more than admirable.
                      I like Chase and am a big supporter of him and I agree with 99% of the article but a few things left me wondering if this guy really does his homework.

BTW.....what is taking Herz so long to learn the D? I guess their experiment with Goff and Jones made them realize how valuable Chase's knowledge really is.
                      "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                      You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

I remember Herz playing very well against the Eagles last year, it's a shame he hasn't been able to build off that yet

Comment

I think Herz will end up being a pretty good MLB, but this article suggesting "stud MLB" is probably stretching it a bit. When I think stud MLB, players like Carson, Huff, Butkus, Singletary, Urlacher or Lewis come to mind... Herz may be good... but I don't think he is anywhere near those guys.
                          My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Comment

I still havent seen the athleticism from Herzlich to believe he is a future starter.

He just is nowhere close to what he was before cancer. Everyone keeps saying that athleticism will eventually come back, but I dont think it works that way.

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                              I still havent seen the athleticism from Herzlich to believe he is a future starter.

He just is nowhere close to what he was before cancer. Everyone keeps saying that athleticism will eventually come back, but I dont think it works that way.
                              honestly I am not sure any of us can know that for sure...it may or may not....I think the prudent thing for this team is to plan on him not getting any better physically and make moves accordingly....if he improves its a great surprise and we make out well....if he doesnt we are prepared
                              "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Comment

Working...
                              X