Cruz/Nicks = Contract Dilemma

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruz/Nicks = Contract Dilemma

With Cruz exploding this year the way he has, the sky seems to be getting cloudier that we can be keeping both these receivers. Sport Trac has estimated Cruz should be receiving around a 6 year 60 million dollar dear. Details explained here: http://www.spotrac.com/premium/resea...z-pay-day-220/

If this indeed the type of deal Cruz will be receiving, I find it very hard for us to be able to afford both Cruz and Nicks, which is extremely unfortunate. I've been wondering if the Giants will put a RFA price tag on Cruz's head at the end of this year for a price of atLEAST a 1st round draft pick, pay Nicks for a long term deal, and draft another offensive weapon...but I can't see the Giants risking the release of Cruz. Reese holds his 1st round picks close to his heart. I have no doubt they will be forced to let go of Kenny Phillips at the end of this year, will he have to let go of Nicks the year after that? 2 first round picks lost in a row to free agency?

He has some very tough decisions to make over the off season. Eli will be getting a contract restructure in the near future, JPP be up for a new deal the year after Nicks and will be EXPENSIVE, and 2 stud receivers to pay for within the next 2 years. Yes, these are good problems to have, but I can't see a way for us to keep both Nicks and Cruz. But as they say, In Reese We Trust.

Ian Taubin- Twitter handle: @InReeseWeTrust, gave a great thought in regards to the contracts, stating Reese should try and offer a deal to both Nicks and Cruz around the same time for relatively the same price and HOPEfully a home team discount. Obviously an ideal situation, but who knows. Just food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by TuckandRolle View Post
      With Cruz exploding this year the way he has, the sky seems to be getting cloudier that we can be keeping both these receivers. Sport Trac has estimated Cruz should be receiving around a 6 year 60 million dollar dear. Details explained here: http://www.spotrac.com/premium/resea...z-pay-day-220/

If this indeed the type of deal Cruz will be receiving, I find it very hard for us to be able to afford both Cruz and Nicks, which is extremely unfortunate. I've been wondering if the Giants will put a RFA price tag on Cruz's head at the end of this year for a price of atLEAST a 1st round draft pick, pay Nicks for a long term deal, and draft another offensive weapon...but I can't see the Giants risking the release of Cruz. Reese holds his 1st round picks close to his heart. I have no doubt they will be forced to let go of Kenny Phillips at the end of this year, will he have to let go of Nicks the year after that? 2 first round picks lost in a row to free agency?

He has some very tough decisions to make over the off season. Eli will be getting a contract restructure in the near future, JPP be up for a new deal the year after Nicks and will be EXPENSIVE, and 2 stud receivers to pay for within the next 2 years. Yes, these are good problems to have, but I can't see a way for us to keep both Nicks and Cruz. But as they say, In Reese We Trust.
      The Giants can simply not let it get to the point of Cruz getting offers from other teams. Because he WILL get a sky-high offer from some team that the Giants will have to match.

I think (hope) the Giants and Cruz will come to an agreement of about 7yr/$50 mil. He might get 10mil/yr offer(s) - but I dont beleive the giants would match that.

Comment

7 for 7 a yr seems about what i'd expect, while it isnt the top yearly salary, it is an extended contract. thats what i would do, give him security over the majority of his career, and guarantee about 20 mil of it. ppl keep forgetting the kinda guy cruz is. i could easily see him taking a very giant friendly offer (thats still good to him).
        i also feel nicks would be similar in that he knows the cruz situation and wont ask for anything crazy. i like the idea of telling both what u plan to offer and offer them both the same at a hometeam discount and see how they feel

both are gonna retire giants

Comment

Eli will be getting a contract restructure in the near future
          Thanks to restructuring, Eli's contract is already insanely back-loaded. I don't think they'll be touching it again.

Comment

It's a good problem to have . . . too many good young players that are deserving of big salaries . . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Ruttiger711 View Post
              The Giants can simply not let it get to the point of Cruz getting offers from other teams. Because he WILL get a sky-high offer from some team that the Giants will have to match.

I think (hope) the Giants and Cruz will come to an agreement of about 7yr/$50 mil. He might get 10mil/yr offer(s) - but I dont beleive the giants would match that.
              I don't know if the Giants would go 7 years for a WR who is currently 25. What about 4 years $30-35M with $15M guaranteed?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruttiger711 View Post

Cruz is a restricted free agent, so they don't have to match offers by other teams....technically. If Cruz does sign an offer sheet from another team, depending on that offer, the Giants would receive compensation in the form of a draft pick directly correlating to the amount of the contract. If he signs a deal that would be signed by someone performing at a 1st round draft pick level, the Giants would receive a 1st round draft pick in compensation for giving up their RFA. Obviously, the Giants have the right to match an offer from another team as well... but like Ruttiger said, it's probably going to be a crazy high offer that the G-Men probably will not match (but will get a draft pick for).

Here is the definition of a Restricted Free Agent in the NFL: A restricted free agent is a player who has received a "qualifying" offer (negotiated in the CBA) from his old club, but is free to negotiate with any club through the free agent signing period. If he accepts an offer sheet from a new club, his old club can match the offer and retain him, or not match the offer and possibly receive draft-choice compensation depending on the amount of its qualifying offer.
                If an offer sheet is not executed, the player’s rights revert to his old club after the free agent signing period ends.Players become restricted free agents when they complete three accrued seasons and their contract expires.

Comment

Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
                  Thanks to restructuring, Eli's contract is already insanely back-loaded. I don't think they'll be touching it again.
                  This was a minimal restructure to clear cap space for this year and replace with bonuses. He will be up soon. There were no years or new money added.

Comment

Originally posted by GMENAGAIN View Post
                    I don't know if the Giants would go 7 years for a WR who is currently 25. What about 4 years $30-35M with $15M guaranteed?
                    4 years doesnt sound like a "RETIRING" a Giant

Comment

Cruz is a restricted free agent, so they don't have to match offers by other teams....technically. If Cruz does sign an offer sheet from another team, depending on that offer, the Giants would receive compensation in the form of a draft pick directly correlating to the amount of the contract. If he signs a deal that would be signed by someone performing at a 1st round draft pick level, the Giants would receive a 1st round draft pick in compensation for giving up their RFA. Obviously, the Giants have the right to match an offer from another team as well... but like Ruttiger said, it's probably going to be a crazy high offer that the G-Men probably will not match (but will get a draft pick for).

Here is the definition of a Restricted Free Agent in the NFL: A restricted free agent is a player who has received a "qualifying" offer (negotiated in the CBA) from his old club, but is free to negotiate with any club through the free agent signing period. If he accepts an offer sheet from a new club, his old club can match the offer and retain him, or not match the offer and possibly receive draft-choice compensation depending on the amount of its qualifying offer.
                      If an offer sheet is not executed, the player’s rights revert to his old club after the free agent signing period ends.Players become restricted free agents when they complete three accrued seasons and their contract expires.
                      Well, if they want to keep him, they would have to match the offer.

There has not been a lot of movement in restricted FA's over the past few years because the system is designed to give the advantage to the team. If the Giants give Cruz the highest qualifying offer (which I assume they would), what other team is going to give him an offer so huge that the Giants won't be able to match it AND also give the Giants a first and 3rd round pick as compensation (I think that's the compensation required for the highest qualifying offer)?

There is a reason why Mike Wallace didn't get a single nibble from another team this offseason . . .. .
                      Last edited by GMENAGAIN; 10-25-2012, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Mike Wallace is no Victor Cruz, I think we can all agree on that. Haha. But I see your point GMENAGAIN, I'm just curious to see how Reese handles the next couple years with 2 stud receivers. I want them both!

Comment

Mike Wallace is no Victor Cruz, I think we can all agree on that. Haha. But I see your point GMENAGAIN, I'm just curious to see how Reese handles the next couple years with 2 stud receivers. I want them both!
                          I agree that Wallace is no Cruz.

But it would be crazy for a team to agree to give Cruz $10M a year AND give the Giants first and third round picks as compensation. That being said, it only takes one crazy team for that to happen . . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by GMENAGAIN View Post
                            That being said, it only takes one crazy team for that to happen . . . . .
                            YES! thats exactly why Giants absolutely need to act before it gets to the point of teams being able to offer him anything.

Comment

cant it be multiple picks too? i thought for wallace it was TWO first round picks??

edit-iirc it is 2 picks, not sure if it was two 1rst rounders tho for wallace for cruz it could be tho he is that good

Comment

Working...
                              X