X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PFF Cornerback Ratings

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...d-cornerbacks/

Tale of Two Corners

For as good as Amukamaraís play has been for the Giants this year, Corey Websterís play has been equally bad. Webster has been a staple of the Giantsí defense ever since he came into the league in 2005, and his sub-par season so far has been a head scratcher. He is playing as bad a stretch as PFF has seen him play, even though he is only 30 years old. He doesnít look like the same guy who allowed only 112 yards through four postseason games last year, as he has already given up 431 yards and hasnít had a positive grade yet. His career success, however, suggests that he can turn his season around. If he can, it will make New York one scary team.

Cant wait to see Hosley and Prince start together. We'll be an absolute FORCE then in pass defense...

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

I think some of it is that he wants a more aggressive DB scheme. Some of it is injuries to the DBs, including his own broken hand. Even injuries to the Dline make a difference, as Fewell was using DEs to cover for them, which means less pressure on the QB. The defense is very dependant on all its parts. I think you will see the defense improving now that guys like Canty are back, including CW.
      Do not feed the trolls.

Comment

The good news is that Morris Claiborne isn't as good as initially advertised. He ranks just below Webster.

Comment

Originally posted by TheEnigma View Post
          The good news is that Morris Claiborne isn't as good as initially advertised. He ranks just below Webster.
          At least for this year...

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

hosley needs to develop fast

Comment

Originally posted by blueNorange View Post
              hosley needs to develop fast
              He had his worst game against the Redskins which I was surprised to see it happen this late honestly. He seems to struggle in man coverage as opposed to zone.

Comment

thats great to see that draft for prince paying off, as far as webster goes the guy literaly has been playing like crap..he had the shortest prime of any career ive ever seen in football like 4 years maybe..his first 2 years he was terrible

Comment

The stats aren't all that misleading, but the way that they've interpreted them is.

Claiborne has been targeted only 24 times, which is pretty good for a Rookie. They mention the Hester play, and really that's been the only play I've seen where Claiborne looked like a rookie. He surrendered another TD in which he had great position but got tangled up (and called for a PI on top of that).

And although I haven't seen all of the all 22 film, they aren't exactly holding Mo's hand out there either. Most times he's out on an island.

Comment

Pff is wrong Webster was terrible and labeled a bust until he finally came around in the 07 playoff run.. and has been excellent ever wince except this season

Comment

Originally posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
                      The stats aren't all that misleading, but the way that they've interpreted them is.

Claiborne has been targeted only 24 times, which is pretty good for a Rookie. They mention the Hester play, and really that's been the only play I've seen where Claiborne looked like a rookie. He surrendered another TD in which he had great position but got tangled up (and called for a PI on top of that).

And although I haven't seen all of the all 22 film, they aren't exactly holding Mo's hand out there either. Most times he's out on an island.
                      I've seen the term shutdown corner being applied to Claiborne and I don't think someone who allows 70% of passes thrown at him qualifies for that. The good news for him though is that he hasn't allowed too many yards compared to the guys on the bottom. He has his simple rookie mistakes that can be corrected in time and I expect that to happen by the end of this year/beginning of next.

Comment

I've seen the term shutdown corner being applied to Claiborne and I don't think someone who allows 70% of passes thrown at him qualifies for that. The good news for him though is that he hasn't allowed too many yards compared to the guys on the bottom. He has his simple rookie mistakes that can be corrected in time and I expect that to happen by the end of this year/beginning of next.
                        Right, the term shut down corner is widely overused. There's only 1 shutdown corner in this league, and sometimes that title doesn't even apply. Not really many 'shut down' corners in the history of the league, really.

Watching him, it's obvious he's still getting comfortable, but outside of one play he's pretty much always in position and can play the ball well. He just usually plays it safe-- thus all the underneath stuff he's given up resulting in few yards on a high percentage of catches.

Comment

thanks for the info

but let's cut him a break ... he's nursing a hammy and he's playing with a broken hand

plus he's made some good tackles

i fully expect him to regain his form very soon

but it does show you how this league is ... C-Web was a guy that didnt get thrown at much and for good reason ... then once there was some success throwing at him, every team started doing it

if he was 32, id be worried too, but at 30 ... nah, im going with the newer softer camp and then the hand and then the hammy, he'll be fine

oh and finally, has he been burned for a TD?? correct me, but i do not recall that ... remember we are 9th in points allowed and teams dont get points just for completing a pass vs. C-Web
                          Last edited by GMan-67; 10-25-2012, 05:38 PM.
                          Apologize to Melo 5

Comment

Originally posted by GMan-67 View Post
                            thanks for the infobut let's cut him a break ... he's nursing a hammy and he's playing with a broken handplus he's made some good tacklesi fully expect him to regain his form very soonbut it does show you how this league is ... C-Web was a guy that didnt get thrown at much and for good reason ... then once there was some success throwing at him, every team started doing itif he was 32, id be worried too, but at 30 ... nah, im going with the newer softer camp and then the hand and then the hammy, he'll be fineoh and finally, has he been burned for a TD?? correct me, but i do not recall that ... remember we are 9th in points allowed and teams dont get points just for completing a pass vs. C-Web
                            Ogletree burned him on a stop and go for a td in week one..first thing that comes to mind that was definitely his fault

Comment

CWEB needs to pick it up soon. If not, it's good to know we have Hosley and Prince.

Comment

Working...
                              X