Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perry Fewell: Chase Blackburn is “Key to Our Success”

http://www.giants101.com/2012/10/25/...o-our-success/

"Chase is really the key to our success because he’s the quarterback of our defense," Fewell said. "He plays and he gets everyone lined up and he gets everyone on the same page and in the proper coverages and getting the guys up front doing the things they should be doing and then, in addition to that, he plays his technique and responsibility. I think Chase has been playing very steady for us. He’s been doing the job of a mike linebacker, what a mike linebacker should do, and I’m glad he’s on my football team."
    I'll admit that I am a bit of a Chase homer, mainly because I love the guys heart and attitude. But it is nice to see our DC say pretty much the exact same thing I've been saying on these boards about Chase's impact as the QB of the defense that very few other people here are willing to acknowledge.

Nice article overall.

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

i guess that's why PF is a DC for a superbowl championship team and i'm clearly not.

i just don't see this guy in the light PF does.

but i'll defer to his judgement

go chase go!
      sigpic

Comment

and just what is he supposed to say.
        gilbride would say the same about Carr if Eli was out.

they are always out of position , blowing assignments , not hustling
        to the ball or playing to the whistle. some defensive QB.

yea, he's directing traffic alright.....renew your car insurance and get your airbags ready !!
        due to the fact that I am from the Woodstock generation ...
        my opinions may be chemically enhanced and influenced by severe episodes of memory loss

Comment

I like Chase and have defended him on here numerous times. Until we properly groom Herz, or we aquire a FA, draft a pure MLB etc.. Chase is the man in the middle and hes not a bad player guys. Hes not. Just because he doesn't flash 4.5 speed and have a 30 in. vertical doesn't mean he isnt a solid football player. I believe had he not came back for us last season, we likely would not have won that SB. And if he wasn't here this season, we would be getting run on more than we already are.

Hes not your typical NFL Star Athlete. Hes a shorter, chubbier dude with long hair and isnt incredibly fast. I think thats why people dont like him...

If we had someone better on the roster, do you not think they would be playing??

Comment

Originally posted by stormblue View Post
            and just what is he supposed to say.
            gilbride would say the same about Carr if Eli was out.

they are always out of position , blowing assignments , not hustling
            to the ball or playing to the whistle. some defensive QB.

yea, he's directing traffic alright.....renew your car insurance and get your airbags ready !!
            Awful analogy. LOL. Carr is a 2nd stringer and would only be in if Eli got hurt. Chase IS our 1st string MLB. You really think that PF would go out of his way to lie about Chase Blackburn? Lol

terrible post

Comment

Originally posted by CowboysSuck View Post
              Awful analogy. LOL. Carr is a 2nd stringer and would only be in if Eli got hurt. Chase IS our 1st string MLB. You really think that PF would go out of his way to lie about Chase Blackburn? Lol

terrible post
              you gotta be kidding.....pulled him off the couch to play because we
              have nobody else ....1st string by freakin' default .....there is no 2nd string
              with enough experience that isn't injured.

and PF isn't lying , is just spewing politically correct coach speak in
              an attempt to prop up his only option @MLB.

terrible fail.

what a maroon.
              Last edited by stormblue; 10-26-2012, 11:14 AM.
              due to the fact that I am from the Woodstock generation ...
              my opinions may be chemically enhanced and influenced by severe episodes of memory loss

Comment

terrible post
                Bad analogy but hes right, This team is constantly out of position especially the secondary.

I cant see Chase being THAT much smarter than Mark or Williams when it comes to the playbook.

Comment

Chase is what he is ... and we'll ride him to wins or losses.
                  I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Great... Here comes Slip in 3-2-1......

Comment

terrible post
                      Do you really think that Fewell would say that Chase is terrible?

Chase is not a quality starting NFL MLB, but we don't seem to have anything better right now.

Comment

Originally posted by GMENAGAIN View Post

Chase is not a quality starting NFL MLB, but we don't seem to have anything better right now.
                        So there's no middle ground whatsoever, right? He either has to say he's "terrible" or say what he did? From everything I've ever seen it seems to be a pretty fair assessment from a coach that spends 6 days a week with him. It's not like he went overboard and said that he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. He stated the obvious.

Look, I pretty much agree with 95% of what you always say on chase. He IS average at best, he is NOT physically gifted in any way whatsoever, he is NOT going to ever be anything more than he is. All I'm ever trying to say is that the guy obviously has added value beyond his on field performance that no one ever seems to recognize. If he didn't, he would not be on our team, period. As it stands he knows our D-book better than anybody else on the team, he coaches on the field, and from everything I have ever read he seems to be spending massive amounts of time grooming the young LB's to take over shortly. Those things have value. You could throw the most physically gifted LB in the league in his position right now and without the experience it would not be an upgrade.

It just gets super annoying that some people are so blinded by this Chase hatred that they repeatedly refuse to actually give the guy credit anytime he does make a play.

Break through the line and cause an INT? No credit. Game winning strip? No credit. Super bowl saving interception? Still no credit.

I appreciate all that the guy does for now, and hopefully Herz is ready sooner than later. I just don't get this blind hatred for him on here.

Comment

Originally posted by GMENAGAIN View Post

WOW, Dude, get a clue !...Chase is one of our TOP TACKLERS, top turnover producers, helps set up the defense along with Bolley and brings great energy and knowledge with him all over the field. He is Always around the ball, making plays and winning games. Have you seen the Giants won-loss record since Chase has returned midway thru last season ? Any body know that # ?

Comment

Chase Blackburn is Harry Carson without the athleticism......by that, I mean he's a smart player, rarely out of position.

Physically, I'd rate him a C+. He's not fast, and doesn't have that hitting power you'd see from a Carson, Taylor, Ray Lewis, etc.

Positionally (i.e., reading a play, taking the proper angle), I'd rate him a B+.

Every time I dog him (which is usually a couple times a game) he'll come up and make a play.

If the guy had the speed of J. Williams, he'd be a pro-bowler......but he does the best with the body he's got.
                            Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 10-26-2012, 12:20 PM.
                            "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

"Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

Comment

Originally posted by njg85m View Post
                              So there's no middle ground whatsoever, right? He either has to say he's "terrible" or say what he did? From everything I've ever seen it seems to be a pretty fair assessment from a coach that spends 6 days a week with him. It's not like he went overboard and said that he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. He stated the obvious.

Look, I pretty much agree with 95% of what you always say on chase. He IS average at best, he is NOT physically gifted in any way whatsoever, he is NOT going to ever be anything more than he is. All I'm ever trying to say is that the guy obviously has added value beyond his on field performance that no one ever seems to recognize. If he didn't, he would not be on our team, period. As it stands he knows our D-book better than anybody else on the team, he coaches on the field, and from everything I have ever read he seems to be spending massive amounts of time grooming the young LB's to take over shortly. Those things have value. You could throw the most physically gifted LB in the league in his position right now and without the experience it would not be an upgrade.

It just gets super annoying that some people are so blinded by this Chase hatred that they repeatedly refuse to actually give the guy credit anytime he does make a play.

Break through the line and cause an INT? No credit. Game winning strip? No credit. Super bowl saving interception? Still no credit.

I appreciate all that the guy does for now, and hopefully Herz is ready sooner than later. I just don't get this blind hatred for him on here.

I agree......alot of people don't seem to remember how ****ing clueless this defense looked before they re-signed Blackburn last season.

Defense is more than being really fast. It's great to have that, don't get me wrong.......but it's more important to understand what is unfolding in front of you.

I've been waiting for the Giants to draft the next Great Linebacker......I was spoiled with Brad Van Pelt, Carson, Taylor, Kelly.....Reasons....Banks.....Armstead....it's an amazing list.

But I've come to the conclusion that Reese values DE's more than LB's......so this is what we're working with.

But Chase Blackburn wouldn't have 2 SB rings if he sucked as hard as some people on this board say.
                              Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 10-26-2012, 12:27 PM.
                              "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

"Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

Comment

Working...
                              X