X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Coughlin addressing Giants' red-zone problems

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...dzone-problems

Quote:

"We've addressed it forever," Coughlin told Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News. "We work it the same way, every week. We study, we work hard, we think we have a nice play and we think we can run with things."

Why is this still an issue? Why? Is some of it execution? It sure is. However, this offense is extremely unimaginative. They live and die by big plays. From start to finish, what you see is what you get. They simply don't adjust, while the opposing team does. If they are still struggling with scoring in the redzone after all this time, then Coughlin needs to take a serious look at the plays being called.

When Wilson and Brown line up in the backfield, guess what? It's a running play. Execution is only part of it. Keeping your opponent guessing and off balance is as equally important. Throwing bombs on 3rd & 1 is just head scratching. The entire offense was off on Sunday, but it's a bigger problem then just this one game. They had better start punching it in, because they are heading into the meat and potatoes of their schedule.

Originally posted by I Bleed Blue View Post

Quote:

"We've addressed it forever," Coughlin told Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News. "We work it the same way, every week. We study, we work hard, we think we have a nice play and we think we can run with things."

Why is this still an issue? Why? Is some of it execution? It sure is. However, this offense is extremely unimaginative. They live and die by big plays. From start to finish, what you see is what you get. They simply don't adjust, while the opposing team does. If they are still struggling with scoring in the redzone after all this time, then Coughlin needs to take a serious look at the plays being called.

When Wilson and Brown line up in the backfield, guess what? It's a running play. Execution is only part of it. Keeping your opponent guessing and off balance is as equally important. Throwing bombs on 3rd & 1 is just head scratching. The entire offense was off on Sunday, but it's a bigger problem then just this one game. They had better start punching it in, because they are heading into the meat and potatoes of their schedule.
    Does this bother anyone else? It almost seems contradictory, you've been addressing red zone issues but won't change your game plan when it's not working..
    Last edited by Rudy; 10-30-2012, 11:04 AM.
    Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Quote:

The offense is not getting the job done whatever the prob is. I'm not sure I would call it "unimagative". They play by a rule book and game plan don't they? Sorry I guess I am not understanding.

Comment

3rd and 2 Shotgun snap to bradshaw for a 1 yard loss I believe. This is why!

Retweeted by Rueben Randle
        @Katdaddyjay 17h
        @RuebenRandle @OBJ_3 @Giants
        http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps625a51fb.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by rainierjef View Post
          Hooray! a terrible play that never works but we keep doing it! woo!

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
            Hooray! a terrible play that never works but we keep doing it! woo!
            Yeah.....I despise that play!!!
            I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.

Comment

So am I understanding this right? It's the play calling and not the execution. But shouldn't that play work? If not why keep it in the game plan? Throw it out. No?

Comment

Originally posted by ashleymarie View Post
                So am I understanding this right? It's the play calling and not the execution. But shouldn't that play work? If not why keep it in the game plan? Throw it out. No?
                This is where things get really complicated. It's both the play calling and the execution. Gilbride is backwards. If it's 3rd and short we throw a 50 yard pass, most likely incomplete because it's a stupid play call. When it's like 2nd and 25 we run the ball then we lose yardage, so now we HAVE to throw it (which is predictable) and then it's incomplete and there's our 3 and out.

We can't execute because our play calling is too predictable.

Comment

Quote:

Against the Cowboys, Brown came and at least twice left the backfield and lined up as a receiver.

When they throw on 1st down, we want them to run. When they run on first down, we want them to be imaginative.
                  “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Quote:

How much of what you posted is a TC quote?
                    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Would it have worked with Wilson?

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                        Would it have worked with Wilson?
                        Perhaps, but we wouldn't know that since he isn't given the same opportunities

Comment

Originally posted by ashleymarie View Post
                          Actual I believe that was the first time I've seen that play run, where the ball was snapped to bradshaw and Eli does the ballerina spin in the backfield as if we all don't know whats going on already. the defense sniffed that out quickly.

I think its both honestly, to play devils advocate had it been a shotgun snap to Brown he probably runs up the A/B gap and falls for 3 yards, Bradshaw tried to bounce it outside got stopped.

Retweeted by Rueben Randle
                          @Katdaddyjay 17h
                          @RuebenRandle @OBJ_3 @Giants
                          http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps625a51fb.jpg

Comment

its not our playbook...gilbride draws them up in the dirt as good as anybody.
                            the problem is the chess-match.
                            we call a 7 yard slant or an 8 yard out route when its 3rd and 10.
                            we call a 25 yard seem route or shotgun draw.when its 3rd 4.
                            and we waste power dives on 3rd or 4th and short or inside the 5
                            in the redzone when we don't have a power 0-line.
                            they are ok somtimes between the 20's , but they can't move anybody off the line.

its not the plays....its the lack of play-calling strategy.
                            Last edited by stormblue; 10-30-2012, 11:33 AM. Reason: spellcheck
                            due to the fact that I am from the Woodstock generation ...
                            my opinions may be chemically enhanced and influenced by severe episodes of memory loss

Comment

Originally posted by stormblue View Post
                              its not our playbook...gilbride draws them up in the dirt as good as anybody.
                              the problem is the chess-match.
                              we call a 7 yard slant or an 8 yard out route when its 3rd and 10.
                              we call a 25 yard seem route or shotgun draw.when its 3rd 4.

its not the plays....its the lack play-calling strategy.
                              Correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X