Analyzing NY Giants Seasons by Halves under Tom Coughlin:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analyzing NY Giants Seasons by Halves under Tom Coughlin:

So here we sit again, half way through another season, with great expectations. 6-2 at the mid point has many of us thinking REPEAT, or at least giving us a shot.

I created a chart that breaks down the Tom Coughlin Era Giants into seasons by half. 8 games on one side, 8 games on another. I wanted to really see how our schedule affects our W/L results.

On the left is a break down of the Giants seasonal W/L record. The first 8 games on the left and the last 8 games on the right. As you can see, we always have started great under TC. Our best first half was in 2008 at 7-1 (in Blue) while our worst was 2004 5-3 (Kurt Warner) (in red) and 2009 at 5-3.

As you can see, every single season for the past 8 years, we had a better W/L record in the first half of the year as opposed to the 2nd half. Our best second halves were in 2005 and 2008 at 5-3, while our worst was 1-7 in 2004, the rookie years for both TC and Eli.

I then wanted to break down he Strength of Schedule to see if that was playing a major role in our second half collapses. The answer was a pretty bold absolutely.

On the right side of the chart, I broke down the opponents W/L record and % into halves to match up with our half seasons. The first halves ranged from opponent winning % from .391 in 2008 to .484 in 2006. We never had a first half season under TC that our opponents were combined to be above .500 for the FULL SEASON.

Then I looked at the 2nd half of the opponents seasons. The winning % for that ranged from .484 as the low in 2010, to a ridiculous .625 in 2008. Only ONE 2nd half season we played a schedule where the opponents were held UNDER a .500 record for the full season.

So, according to this, our schedule has consistently/ always been much tougher in the second half of the seasons with TC. EVERY SINGLE SEASON! And it's not just by a little, it's by a wide margin. For example, our closest first half to second half gap was in 2005 and 2010, by .062 % or an 8 game difference. Largest was a .234 margin, or 30 games in 2008.

Our best record of 12-4 in 2008 was propelled by the worst win % by opponents (.391) of TC's era here in the first half, followed by the hardest (.625) in the second. For the year the opponents had a Win % of .516 and a record of 130-126.

In 2012, it looks to be the same. We are 6-2, with an opponents win % at .397 for the seasons UP TO THIS POINT. The second half of our season based on the opponents we are playing, the win % jumps up to .552 for the year. So we are on pace this season once again to continue the trend. Signs all point to another second half let down when compared to the first half.

I don't have time to analyze all the NFL teams but I'm pretty sure this is not the norm.

So when we are more beat up toward the end of the year, we play our toughest opponents, every year under TC. And people wonder why we struggle in the second half of seasons and have to "sneak" into the playoffs.

I do, however think this is slightly beneficial to us as it really tests us up to the playoffs and prepares our teams.

Obviously there are some other variables out there that contribute, but I thought this was pretty crazy how our schedule, year after year, is so much more difficult going from the first half to the second half.

What do you guys think?
    The Problem is the Oline, PERIOD

I think you have too much time on your hands, Stats are for losers and in every 2nd half loss we improved our opponents win % by one game LOL

Why is then when we ge to the post season where we play the undisputed best teams in the NFL we maul them and win SB's?????????

I blame the 2nd half collapses on Coughlins inability to motivate, innovate, make changes and stubborn insistence on not playing rookies and bench players unless forced to.

Once in the playoffs motivation becomes more self guided

But nice job on the stats and helping me to understand what I already knew.......not the strength of schedule part, the mopey un-inspired 2nd half play on the part of our players, and coaches
    Last edited by BParcells777; 11-01-2012, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Really? You don't think it has anything to do with us having the Bucs, Panthers, Browns in the first half this year and the Packers, Saints, Steelers, Ravens, Falcons in the second half?

And yes, I have too much time on my hands. I enjoy it though and like breaking down numbers, what can I say.

Comment

Originally posted by BParcells777 View Post
        I think you have too much time on your hands, Stats are for losers and in every 2nd half loss we improved our opponents win % by one game LOL

Why is then when we ge to the post season where we play the undisputed best teams in the NFL we maul them and win SB's?????????

I blame the 2nd half collapses on Coughlins inability to motivate, innovate, make changes and stubborn insistence on not playing rookies and bench players unless forced to.

Once in the playoffs motivation becomes more self guided

But nice job on the stats and helping me to understand what I already knew.......not the strength of schedule part, the mopey un-inspired 2nd half play on the part of our players, and coaches
        geesh.. take a chill pill..

it's actually a good breakdown.. some years it's been very easy to spot from the beginning of the season that the last few games are going to be a lot harder.. this season is no exception.. we got some 'freebies' in the first half but the second half is all divisional games and tough opponents.. we probably will not have a 6-2 record in the second half.. but i would be more than content with a 5-3 or even a 4-4 if that gets us into the playoffs..

Comment

I don't care what happens, as long as we win a championship

Comment

Packers, Saints, Steelers, Ravens, Falcons
            ALL 2ND RATE PUNK TEAMS

We will destroy the toothless Steelers, the Saints are one of the leagues worst teams
            The Ravens are a JOKE- another Harbaugh ground into the turf

FALCONS FALCONS............is that the same team we pummeled 26-2, and dragged them up and down their own home field embarassing them in front of their families????????? (DITTO for poor PACKERS)? GIVE ME A FRIGGEN BREAK..........they will wish they only lost 26-2 this time around........we eat Harbaughs for breakfast

This is not your fathers Giants team.........this 2nd half will be 8-0 Giants (14-2) SWEEP through the playoffs to the magical 5th Lombardi to complete the Chevron.........you heard it here 1st

Comment

you forgot one thing........all these poor teams must face the WORLD CHAMPIONS, and we have added 40% more power this year with the two Browns and others

we just had our mid-season funk and we still won

Comment

Hey, BP777, put down the coffee or pipe or whatever it is you got there. It's all good man.

Comment

I still think there's more to the failures than statistics (although this certainly is a component), but thank you for laying it out in such detail.

Complete the trilogy and do the stats for each playoff run... I'm sure the numbers in 2007 and 2011 are going to be bonkers.
                  8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
                    Hey, BP777, put down the coffee or pipe or whatever it is you got there. It's all good man.
                    you realy think any of these teams stand a chance against us????

we only struggle with NFC East teams..........all others are cattle fodder

Comment

There is a reason for this. Most of the time divisional games are later in the season and we have a tough division and we beat up on the lesser teams in the first half generally

Comment

First, analyst, thanks for the work. Second, how about sharing it on a free Live.com account and Skydrive, using the excel format? It's hard to read when turning a wide format spreadsheet into an image file with a narrow column to work with.

Third, it is incredibly demoralizing for someone to come on the site and right away slam someone who actually puts some work and thought into their post and trash it with a "too much time" comment.

If you add up all the time that some posters spend trashing or with inane useless or worse comments, it can easily far surpass the time to do a thoughtful post.

In any event, I for one am anxious to study these further.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
                          I'm not smoking anything........how do you think opponets feel who constanty get the losing end of the stick. The Giants are a team to be feared.

Truth be known we have not even gotten it into gear yet......our best effort was against SFO and even then we were still kicking a lot of Field Goals.....it was turnovers that buried San Fran.....6 I believe it was

We lost to Philly by bad end of game coaching, and we just were not ready for the season the 1st go round with Dallas..........We will gain MO as the season progresses not lose it.

This team has a lot more firepower than the 2011 ediition, or really any of Coughlins prior squads. the trend the OP has picked up upon was already well known.....as with all trends this one will end.

The sad thing is even if we win out there will be doubters on here pummeling Blackburn etc

To achieve this dream though we really really would make things easier by inserting Andre Brown in the starting line-up and use Bradshaw as a relief runner to close out games
                          Last edited by BParcells777; 11-01-2012, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BParcells777 View Post

This team has a lot more firepower than the 2011 ediition, or really any of Coughlins prior squads. the trend the OP has picked up upon was already well known.....as with all trends this one will end.
                            Would you rather I do an in depth presentation on an Eli vs Ben thread? I don't think that has been discussed enough yet.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenZone View Post
                              First, analyst, thanks for the work. Second, how about sharing it on a free Live.com account and Skydrive, using the excel format? It's hard to read when turning a wide format spreadsheet into an image file with a narrow column to work with.

Third, it is incredibly demoralizing for someone to come on the site and right away slam someone who actually puts some work and thought into their post and trash it with a "too much time" comment.

If you add up all the time that some posters spend trashing or with inane useless or worse comments, it can easily far surpass the time to do a thoughtful post.

In any event, I for one am anxious to study these further.
                              Im not slamming anything.....its an interesting hypothisis but we ARE the NFL's best team and we do not seem to care how well rated our opponents are......we struggle mentally with poor teams not good ones, so frankly what is the point of pointing out the strength of schedule. If you are #1 it does not matter.

With the Giants I'd be more worried if we were facing the 8 worst teams in the league, all home games.

IT is home games not sterling opponents we have trouble with........I think Coughlin is only plus 2 for all home games over 9 years as HC.
                              Last edited by BParcells777; 11-01-2012, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X