Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants Linebacker Mark Herzlich Compares to Chase Blackburn

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1196074

Excerpt: "From the first day he arrived in Giants training camp as an undrafted free agent last season, linebacker Mark Herzlichwas compared to Chase Blackburn. Blackburn, a heady veteran, wasn’t even in camp – he’d been cut before the 2011 season began – but Herzlich kept hearing the same references.

“We called him that from Day One,” linebacker Michael Boley said.

“He’s a younger version of Chase. Mark and Chase, they had the same preparation, everything.”

On Sunday against the Steelers, Herzlich must deliver the same production as Blackburn. The second-year linebacker is expected to start in the middle, replacing Blackburn, who was ruled out due to a hamstring injury on Friday. Herzlich took first-team reps throughout the week, and he said he’s learned plenty from Blackburn.

That’s something he didn’t think would happen a year ago. Herzlich admitted that last season, he was hardly a Blackburn fan. The Giants signed Blackburn midway through the year, hoping he could steady a then-shaky linebacking corps, and Herzlich saw the veteran as a threat.

“I was not super-excited at that point,” Herzlich remembers. “Chase was the nicest, friendliest guy ever, and I was a little cold.”

The two have become close friends since then, so much so that Herzlich is going to a birthday party for Blackburn’s son in a few weeks. And Blackburn has helped Herzlich prep for this week.

Now, Herzlich just hopes he can perform like a “younger version of Chase” on the field.

“I’m excited to fill his shoes,” Herzlich said." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1
Working...
X