Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenny Phillips Out Again vs. Pittsburgh.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kenny Phillips Out Again vs. Pittsburgh.....

    Giants safety Kenny Phillips will miss his fifth consecutive game today, as he continues to nurse a knee injury he suffered September 30 in a contest with the Eagles.

    Despite practicing on a limited basis with the team Thursday and Friday, and telling reporters he would suit up, league sources confirmed Phillips will not see the field against the Steelers.

    As expected, Stevie Brown, the reigning NFC Defensive Player of the Week and team leader in interceptions, will start at safety.

    http://snygiants.com/pittsburgh-stee...in-v-steelers/

  • #2
    Originally posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    Giants safety Kenny Phillips will miss his fifth consecutive game today, as he continues to nurse a knee injury he suffered September 30 in a contest with the Eagles.

    Despite practicing on a limited basis with the team Thursday and Friday, and telling reporters he would suit up, league sources confirmed Phillips will not see the field against the Steelers.

    As expected, Stevie Brown, the reigning NFC Defensive Player of the Week and team leader in interceptions, will start at safety.

    http://snygiants.com/pittsburgh-stee...in-v-steelers/
    I guess with Brown doing so well the coaching staff feels very comfortable giving KP some extra rest.

    Comment


    • #3
      can someone pass the crying towel over this way..........I was really looking forward to our best Defender riding the pine........you cannot defend your D player of the week title from the bench and ST

      LOL

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by BParcells777 View Post
        can someone pass the crying towel over this way..........I was really looking forward to our best Defender riding the pine........you cannot defend your D player of the week title from the bench and ST

        LOL
        I was looking forward to all three on the field at the same time.
        "KILL'EM ALL AND LET THE PARAMEDICS SORT'EM OUT!"

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by FIFTY6G-MAN View Post
          I was looking forward to all three on the field at the same time.

          would rarely happen........you are talking nickle and dime only

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BParcells777 View Post
            would rarely happen........you are talking nickle and dime only
            3 Safety's was our base Defense most of last season so I dont know where that comes from.

            In a three safety set one safety plays in the box making it effective against all but a true power running game. Its not like a Nickle where you tend to have an extra corner in place of a backer. I can all but assure you that when these three are healthy you will see the 3 safety's alot, not just on tee off passing downs.
            #80

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
              Giants safety Kenny Phillips will miss his fifth consecutive game today, as he continues to nurse a knee injury he suffered September 30 in a contest with the Eagles.

              Despite practicing on a limited basis with the team Thursday and Friday, and telling reporters he would suit up, league sources confirmed Phillips will not see the field against the Steelers.

              As expected, Stevie Brown, the reigning NFC Defensive Player of the Week and team leader in interceptions, will start at safety.

              http://snygiants.com/pittsburgh-stee...in-v-steelers/
              Though I am not crazy about it, I was actually looking forward to the 3 safety sets...better that he's fully recovered though.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm all in favor of resting KP till after the bye. Brown has filled in great so no need to rush Phillips to play. I much rather have him for the late season run and the playoffs (If I may be so bold).
                "You killed my family, and I don't like that kind of thing."

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think we can win with out him but he will needed down the stretch!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'd have him sit until the bye week. Phillips is a great contributor to the defense, despite BParcell's delusional ramblings. However, Brown is making plays for the defense, and while it'd be nice to get KP in on the 3 safety set (especially with the LBs being banged up/no depth), it's not a make or break injury for this week.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TextureDj View Post
                      3 Safety's was our base Defense most of last season so I dont know where that comes from.

                      In a three safety set one safety plays in the box making it effective against all but a true power running game. Its not like a Nickle where you tend to have an extra corner in place of a backer. I can all but assure you that when these three are healthy you will see the 3 safety's alot, not just on tee off passing downs.
                      Is that why we could not stop the pass at all last year??? Who knew......Thank you very much for sending us Stevie Brown oh football God's

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by B-Red22 View Post
                        I guess with Brown doing so well the coaching staff feels very comfortable giving KP some extra rest.
                        As well as Brown has played, he's really a free safety (ball hawk centerfielder) and not a strong safety capable of covering TEs and defending the run game. His skills are complimentary-- but far from an adequate substitute-- for Kenny Phillips. KP and J.Williams are the only two guys we have capable of covering and shutting down the opposing teams' TEs....and they are once again both out. Until they return our defense is vulnerable and can be exposed by any team with an elite TE an/or quality short passing game.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by titwio View Post
                          I'm all in favor of resting KP till after the bye. Brown has filled in great so no need to rush Phillips to play. I much rather have him for the late season run and the playoffs (If I may be so bold).
                          You can no longer call Stevie Brown a fill in........he is playing at a Pro Bowl level..........and he has enough games under his belt now that we know it is no Fluke

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The press continues to focus on players out for other teams, but the Giants' D continues to be decimated with 3 key players out (KP, JW, and now Chase Blackburn). And you wonder why our D isn't playing up to expectation?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BParcells777 View Post
                              You can no longer call Stevie Brown a fill in........he is playing at a Pro Bowl level..........and he has enough games under his belt now that we know it is no Fluke
                              Yes, but as a free safety; not a strong safety. He does not adequately replace the skillset that KP brings to the table.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X