Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants Coach Tom Coughlin Calls His Defense "Soft"

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river

Excerpt: "In a sport predicated on physicality, it is a word no football player, unit or team ever wants to become associated with.

Soft.

But that was how coach Tom Coughlin described the middle of the Giants’ defense for portions of their 24-20 loss to the Steelers Sunday at MetLife Stadium.

“It was soft, no question,” Coughlin said matter-of-factly Monday.

“It was soft early. We came back and played a little bit better and then they had their breakout there at the end of the game.”

Defensive end Justin Tuck said the Giants were “mushed” around by the Steelers offensive linemen, as third-string running back Isaac Redman gashed the defense for a career-high 147 yards on 26 carries with a straightforward running style that lacked flash.

“Not to the point where they were more physical than us,” Tuck asserted. “But to the point where you got a guy in the gap and Redman was just behind his guard, behind his guard, and a guy jumps out of his gap trying to get around to get to Redman and he kind of like filters forward for three more, four more yards, and that’s just us got to do a better job of escaping blocks and getting to the ball carrier.” Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Thank you TC. I was saying the same thing after this last game. I don't think anyone fears this defense. Can anyone say they looked anything like the Steelers the other day? Now that's a defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy333 View Post
      Thank you TC. I was saying the same thing after this last game. I don't think anyone fears this defense. Can anyone say they looked anything like the Steelers the other day? Now that's a defense.
      I think it may well be the guys we are depending on, namely Tuck and Umenyiora, are no longer the guys who can carry the day.
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Unfortunately I think it's a couple other guys as well. Webster is not the player he once was. At least not to date. Doesn't it always seem like when there is a big play by the opposing teams offense Rolle is trailing the play?

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy333 View Post
          Unfortunately I think it's a couple other guys as well. Webster is not the player he once was. At least not to date. Doesn't it always seem like when there is a big play by the opposing teams offense Rolle is trailing the play?
          I was just thinking of the first line of defense, no pun intended. But the secondary is also in need to retooling but there I think we have the replacements on hand. I like Tracy and Ojomo for the line but it's hard to see if they are THE replacements at this point cause they don't get to play a lot.

Comment

eight games into the season........nice observation coach.
            due to the fact that I am from the Woodstock generation ...
            my opinions may be chemically enhanced and influenced by severe episodes of memory loss

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
              I think it may well be the guys we are depending on, namely Tuck and Umenyiora, are no longer the guys who can carry the day.
              Thank you.
              Most people only single out one, they are both equally bad right now.

I think TC needs to call out the offense as well, that Steeler's game was the one game in which the defense did as much as it could to keep us in the game.

Retweeted by Rueben Randle
              @Katdaddyjay 17h
              @RuebenRandle @OBJ_3 @Giants
              http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps625a51fb.jpg

Comment

I was just thinking of the first line of defense, no pun intended. But the secondary is also in need to retooling but there I think we have the replacements on hand. I like Tracy and Ojomo for the line but it's hard to see if they are THE replacements at this point cause they don't get to play a lot.
                Agreed, although I I thought Tuck played better on Sunday than he has in a while. The DTs were pretty much a non-factor though. I thought Canty would be a bigger impact in his return than he has been. I think the LBs may be the bigger problem though, they should be hitting the holes created for the running game and that just isn't happening. I would excuse that if they were covering the underneath stuff, but clearly that isn't happening consistently either. There just seems to be a lack of intensity and "flying to the ball" that good defenses need to have.
                My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Comment

if you are talking about the run, this is clearly on those in the middle

Canty/Joseph
                  Mark/Boley
                  Our Safety

Tuck played really well vs the Steelers. It is EXTREMELY rare when a DE is able to make a play on a run up the middle. Especially those with contain responsibilities. IMO the Giants DT are avg at best at the run and our LB last week played like garbage against the run. Aside from Blackburn, we dont have a guy on this team that plays the run well. Thats pretty pathetic if you think about it.

NY GIANTS ... NY METS ... UNC TAR HEELS ... CHICAGO BULLS

Originally posted by Generation Eli
                  1 and done, and its not even close

Packers 30
                  Giants 13

Comment

Originally posted by Generation Eli View Post
                    if you are talking about the run, this is clearly on those in the middle

Canty/Joseph
                    Mark/Boley
                    Our Safety

Tuck played really well vs the Steelers. It is EXTREMELY rare when a DE is able to make a play on a run up the middle. Especially those with contain responsibilities. IMO the Giants DT are avg at best at the run and our LB last week played like garbage against the run. Aside from Blackburn, we dont have a guy on this team that plays the run well. Thats pretty pathetic if you think about it.
                    I like CB, but he is just OK at the run, they weren't exactly stellar when he was in either. But mostly, I agree...
                    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Comment

Osi should have been on the sidelines for most of that game. Dude can't stop the run, he has no pursuit for the HB, gets locked up on his tackle and never breaks free.

Comment

I dont know, is swiss cheese soft? Well it is unless you leave it out, in which case it starts to get hard.

Maybe TC should leave his team out in the cold. It may harden them

Packers 30
                        Giants 13

Comment

Originally posted by brad View Post
                          I like CB, but he is just OK at the run, they weren't exactly stellar when he was in either. But mostly, I agree...
                          thats why I said, its pathetic when Blackburn is your best and only run stopper.

Packers 30
                          Giants 13

Comment

It might be time to throw a few changes into the defense like letting Ojomo get a few snaps or have Kiwi in the dline rotation more? If nothing else it will bring some enthusiasm and wake some of the vets up if they realize the D is starting to look elsewhere for solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by brad View Post
                              Agreed, although I I thought Tuck played better on Sunday than he has in a while. The DTs were pretty much a non-factor though. I thought Canty would be a bigger impact in his return than he has been. I think the LBs may be the bigger problem though, they should be hitting the holes created for the running game and that just isn't happening. I would excuse that if they were covering the underneath stuff, but clearly that isn't happening consistently either. There just seems to be a lack of intensity and "flying to the ball" that good defenses need to have.
                              The problem is Tuck comes and goes. I don't have anything against either Tuck or Umenyiora, but our biggest team problem is CONSISTENCY or a lack thereof. Your description of Tuck's performance "lately" is an example what I am talking about. It's not just Tuck, but players simply can't be relied upon when they are having "good games every now and then." Bradshaw practicing once a week is another example. He's not practicing with the guys he needs to create holes for him and they aren't practicing with him. I think that surfaces when Bradshaw can't find or wait for a seam crack open.

I will always defer to the coaching staff as I know I have no clue. I also know they want to win as much as anyone else. If it were as simple as talking about it, we'd be The Champs every year.

Comment

Working...
                              X