Just something to think about.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just something to think about.

In the 2007 NFL Draft, we drafted Aaron Ross ahead of Jon Beason and Paul Posluszny. That is all.

I woke up thinking about that very thing
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

I'm really wondering what you are thinking? Do we win the superbowl in 2007 without Ross? And he played admirably well when TT went down. Do we win the superbowl in 2011 without Ross? We were depleted at CB, behind Ross in 2011. I doubt we would have had the talent at CB.

Even the greatest LBer is not a replacement for a servicable CB.
      Do not feed the trolls.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercury View Post
        I'm really wondering what you are thinking? Do we win the superbowl in 2007 without Ross? And he played admirably well when TT went down. Do we win the superbowl in 2011 without Ross? We were depleted at CB, behind Ross in 2011. I doubt we would have had the talent at CB.

Even the greatest LBer is not a replacement for a servicable CB.
        In 2007, who knows? Our CBs have been depleted every year it seems, but last year Ross had so many busted coverages. I admit that we were very thin there, but he was more of a liability than an asset. Ross was good for us except for last year, but before then we had our share of good corners. Webster has always been solid while Ross was there and T2 was one of the better corners that there was. But at MLB, we've tried so many guys that failed. Goff wasn't terrible, but he got hurt and wound up leaving. Greg Jones was just horrible. Blackburn was crucial to our Super Bowl run last year when we picked him up, but he's dropped off this year. A guy like Beason or Posluszny in the middle of our defense would've been a mainstay since then, barring anything unforeseen that didn't happen with their other teams. I understand your argument completely, and it could go either way. But I personally would've preferred a star MLB calling the shots than one servicable corner who has has his ups and downs.

Comment

Pos is only an average to above average player, and Beason is on IR every season, hasent been a great LB for years.

In my opinion, what would have been more interesting is if the giants actually went through with the trade up for Revis. Reese admitted after the draft that they did try, and did have Revis rated far ahead of Ross, but just did not want to part with the picks required.

Jets went from 25th overall to 14th overall, while giving up their 25th overall, 2nd round (59th), and 5th (164th) picks to get Revis.

Giants at 20 would have had to give up less overall, but perhaps could have gotten away with a 3rd (81st)and a 5th (153)

Lets see here, the trade value chart says -

25th overall = 720
          +
          59th overall = 310
          +
          164th overall = 25.8
          = 1055 points

Giants
          20th overall = 850
          +
          81st overall = 185
          +
          153 overall = 30
          = 1065 points

If they made that trade, the giants would have instead not been able to draft Alford and Boss.
          Last edited by slipknottin; 11-09-2012, 06:02 PM.

Comment

How many SB's do Beason and Poz have?
            Ross has 2. Both with us. And was a major contributor in both.
            Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Rather of had Ben Grubbs over those two personally. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by TheEnigma View Post
                Rather of had Ben Grubbs over those two personally. Oh well.

Grubbs isnt even a top 10 guard. Hes good, but for a 1st round pick? Ehh

Comment

Originally posted by slipknottin View Post
                  Grubbs isnt even a top 10 guard. Hes good, but for a 1st round pick? Ehh
                  Playing hindsight draft (which is what happened in the OP), I'd say Grubbs is a much better G than Ross was a CB at this point in their careers. Beason is the best player out of the 4 but as you mentioned, he is injured too often.

Comment

Originally posted by TheEnigma View Post
                    Playing hindsight draft (which is what happened in the OP), I'd say Grubbs is a much better G than Ross was a CB at this point in their careers. Beason is the best player out of the 4 but as you mentioned, he is injured too often.
                    Id still take Revis, which the giants almost did.

Comment

Yeah but way more often than not, most drafts have a player that you wish you traded up for in hindsight.

Comment

As I remember..Revis was long gone by our pick.
                        Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

hindsight drafting is nonsense. How many teams would have loved to pick up Brady in the 6th?

Concerning us: Jacobs or bradshaw in the late rounds? How about JPP? Would the Chargers have taken rivers, or demanded other players/picks? looking in the rear view mirror is always 20/20.

We get our breaks from the draft too.

Comment

Hindsight is 20/20 Aaron ross

I admit, if you would have said this to me at the time I would have slapped you. But here it goes...

"We should have cut Webster and used that money to pay for Aaron Ross" Ross is not incredible mind you but he is playing well on the Jags. Webster is 33 and he has fallen off a cliff production wise.
                            Just remember Kevin Love makes more money then OBJ, and OBJ also dunks better.

Comment

Originally posted by appodictic View Post
                              I admit, if you would have said this to me at the time I would have slapped you. But here it goes...

"We should have cut Webster and used that money to pay for Aaron Ross" Ross is not incredible mind you but he is playing well on the Jags. Webster is 33 and he has fallen off a cliff production wise.
                              I liked Ross too,,,didn't always play well, but played big when we needed him to,,aka playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                              X