Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: rebuilding the defense for 2012

[quote user="NYG_88"]

Do you think Jags keep Mel Tucker, I mean the*Jags D is in the top 10 but injuries caught up to them.

What about Rolle? Keep him, trade him, or cut him?

The Giants in a 3-4 D would be kind of interesting to see that but I have always seen them as a 4-3 but maybe change is for the better.

[/quote]
    i think mel tucker would be a good option, idk who we could hire as d coordinator.

i say we keep rolle and play him at safety, these 2 yrs under fewell hes played way too much corner, thats not his strength. he needs to play back with kp, he can also move in the box to help with run d and cover TEs and RBs, he shouldnt play nickle corner, hes terrible at it.

Comment

[quote user="nygfan0816"][quote user="NYG_88"]

Do you think Jags keep Mel Tucker, I mean theJags D is in the top 10 but injuries caught up to them.

The Giants in a 3-4 D would be kind of interesting to see that but I have always seen them as a 4-3 but maybe change is for the better.

[/quote]
      i think mel tucker would be a good option, idk who we could hire as d coordinator.

i say we keep rolle and play him at safety, these 2 yrs under fewell hes played way too much corner, thats not his strength. he needs to play back with kp, he can also move in the box to help with run d and cover TEs and RBs, he shouldnt play nickle corner, hes terrible at it.[/quote]FINALLY someone talking some sense about Rolle
      Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

[quote user="RobCarpenter"]

Going to a 3-4 would be absolutely crazy.* Are biggest assets on defense are best suited to be 4-3 DE's.* We don't have any LB's worth a damn.***

We'd need to add at least 3 very good LB's and a Nose Tackle to go to a 3-4... and a 3- would diminish the roles / impacts of JPP and Tuck.*

Jus a bad idea.

[/quote] its not 2007 dude, our d line isnt great no more. tuck and jpp would be just as effective, linval at NT could get a big push up the middle, boley & herzlich at MLB would be good and kiwi at OLB would thrive in a 3-4, whats not to like?

Comment

[quote user="nygfan0816"][quote user="RobCarpenter"]

Going to a 3-4 would be absolutely crazy. Are biggest assets on defense are best suited to be 4-3 DE's. We don't have any LB's worth a damn.

We'd need to add at least 3 very good LB's and a Nose Tackle to go to a 3-4... and a 3- would diminish the roles / impacts of JPP and Tuck.

Jus a bad idea.

[/quote] its not 2007 dude, our d line isnt great no more. tuck and jpp would be just as effective, linval at NT could get a big push up the middle, boley & herzlich at MLB would be good and kiwi at OLB would thrive in a 3-4, whats not to like?[/quote]

What are you smoking?

Minimimize the only defensive strength that we have (4-3 style DE's) and emphasize our weakest link (LB's).

Pass the pipe man....

Comment

In the last 30 years the best Giants best defense was during the 80's. Do you know what defense set they ran?

answer: 3-4

My assumed projection:
            Justin Tuck (Starting DE)
            Linval Joseph (Starting NT)
            Chris Canty (Starting DE)
            Mathia Kiwanuka (Starting OLB)
            Jason Pierre-Paul (Starting OLB)
            Jon Goff (Starting MLB)
            Open (Starting MLB) can't really be confident to who that would go to.

But I have a feeling if Jerry Reese isn't fired, that he would stay at 4-3.

Comment

Tuck and JPP couldn't play DE in a 3-4 unless you ask both to gain 30-40 pounds. JPP and Kiwi in a joker position rushing from the outside will be deadly. A nose tackle could be found in the draft or FA. The Giants have the pieces to go to a 3-4 trust me..

Comment

Doesnt a 3-4 mean that your linebackers are your strong suit? They have to be good at blitzing, covering, tackling, reading and recognizing pass or run. Name one linebacker on our squad that can do all of the above. We are a 4-3 team. Get over it. We dont have the personel for that scheme. Our d line will continue to be our strong suit even though JPP is the only warrior we have.

Comment

[quote user="midnite_nj"]Doesnt a 3-4 mean that your linebackers are your strong suit? They have to be good at blitzing, covering, tackling, reading and recognizing pass or run. Name one linebacker on our squad that can do all of the above. We are a 4-3 team. Get over it. We dont have the personel for that scheme. Our d line will continue to be our strong suit even though JPP is the only warrior we have.[/quote]

Agree.

This 3-4 idea is one of teh worst I've seen on this site. A 3-4 places shifts the emphasis from th eDLine to teh LB's. We may have tohe weakest LB corp in the NFL.

And regarding the '80's, we shifted to a 3-4 after we drafted LT and added him to an already strong LB corp which included Carson, Van Pelt, and Kelley. Back then, our cup run-it-over with LB's.

Comment

[quote user="midnite_nj"]Doesnt a 3-4 mean that your linebackers are your strong suit?* They have to be good at blitzing, covering, tackling, reading and recognizing pass or run.* Name one linebacker on our squad that can do all of the above.* We are a 4-3 team.* Get over it.* We dont have the personel for that scheme.* Our d line will continue to be our strong suit even though JPP is the only warrior we have.[/quote]
                    boley and herzlich as MLBs could do all that. boley is a very good, fast LB and herzlich is gonna a good LB hes smart, great tackler and is good on a blitz.
                    kiwi is a 3-4 player, he isnt a 4-3 LB. every1 wants him to play a DE cause of his pass rushing skills but hes good in coverage too, if kiwi played in a 3-4 he would thrive.

3 LBs that we could use in a 3-4, wed also need to draft another OLB

Comment

Wouldn't you want jpp rushing on the outside then you have joesph and Austin as your de along with candy unless we cut him we need a nt as the most glaring need to switch to a 3-4 in my opinion and then trade osi and possibly tuck I wanna give him a pass because he should prolly be on ir and well hear about it when the season is over

Comment

[quote user="PrimeTime89"]Wouldn't you want jpp rushing on the outside then you have joesph and Austin as your de along with candy unless we cut him we need a nt as the most glaring need to switch to a 3-4 in my opinion and then trade osi and possibly tuck I wanna give him a pass because he should prolly be on ir and well hear about it when the season is over[/quote]
                        i think jpp could play DE in a 3-4 but he could probly be an OLB too. linval would be a good NT imo, a near 300 lbs rushing up the middle. id trade osi and canty. tuck would be good in a 3-4, he already plays all over the d line anyway. and as long as he doesn't have 15 different injuries hed be good.

Comment

There's no way this team can play a 3-4 with the linebackers they have and not having a true nose tackle-----they can stay with the 4-3 but changes need to be made:

I think with Austin coming back next season the line should improve but they need to draft a run-stuffing DT with one of their picks for depth and move Kiwanuka back to DE to replace Umenyiora and/or Tuck; Canty and Bernard are goners for sure:

my front four: Tuck or Kiwanuka/Joseph/Austin/Pierre-Paul

Linebackers: Paysinger or Kiwanuka/Herzlich or Jones/Williams (look for depth in draft or perhaps have Adrian Tracy/ Chad Jones (comeback!)/Clint Sintim (comeback?) play in this rotation)--I feel the young guys will improve with time and patience.

Secondary: Amukamara/Webster/ Phillips would be starters, with Justin Tryon, Terrell Thomas (should he re-sign coming off knee surgery), Michael Coe and Bryan Witherspoon in the mix at DB: the team woefully needs a safety in draft--preferably a SS-- to replace Rolle (swallow the cap hit on this bum!) and cut Grant immediately.

The Giants have done a good job building through the draft and have to go this route since they are saddled with huge contracts and not much cap room relief--I feel Jerry Reese's free-agent signings have been busts for the most part anyway.

And of course Perry Fewell has to be fired.[]

Comment

jpp would be even better in a 3-4 imo, u move him and kiwi to OLB and they will be beasts. tuck would still be good as a DE in the 3-4, linval joseph could be good at NT, and have canty move back to DE like he was in dallas. boley and herzlich would be good MLBs.

the giants would be top 5 d if they switched to a 3-4.

tuck and canty at ends
                            linval at NT
                            jpp and kiwi off the edges
                            boley and herzlich in the middle
                            thats a scary front 7

Comment

[quote user="Kase-1"][quote user="nygfan0816"][quote user="NYG_88"]

Do you think Jags keep Mel Tucker, I mean the*Jags D is in the top 10 but injuries caught up to them.

[/quote]

i say we keep rolle and play him at safety, these 2 yrs under fewell hes played way too much corner, thats not his strength. he needs to play back with kp, he can also move in the box to help with run d and cover TEs and RBs, he shouldnt play nickle corner, hes terrible at it.[/quote]FINALLY someone talking some sense about Rolle
                              [/quote]

Yeah everybody here knows Rolle is a better safety than a corner thats why the Cards moved him to that position.

Comment

I think Tuck three years ago could play end in a 3-4. Now he's too worried about injuries to eat up two blockers at once for the rushers behind him.

Canty was excellent at defensive end in Dallas.

We only need to draft one line backer to make our 3-4 scheme complete? What happens when Goff goes down? Or boley? Or if Kiwi's neck snaps in half? Where's the depth?

Bad idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X