Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giants' David Wilson Still Needs To Gain Coaches' Trust

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Giants' David Wilson Still Needs To Gain Coaches' Trust

    http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river

    Excerpt: "Wilson's season got off to a rough start when he fumbled on his second career carry and was subsequently put in Tom Coughlin's doghouse. He has a total of 18 carries for 89 yards – 40 of which came on his lone touchdown run of the season. He was in on just two offensive plays Sunday against the Bengals, though Coughlin today said the team planned on playing him more but the game situation dictated otherwise.

    Giants coaches rave about Wilson's explosive running ability; they've seen what he can do at practice and on Sundays during kickoff returns. But that isn't the issue. The problem remains the other aspects of becoming an NFL running back and gaining the coaches' trust.

    "He’s got to be able to do all other things besides just running the ball," offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said. "It’s not just running the ball when you’re a running back in the National Football League. It’s about catching passes, it’s about blocking, it’s about being able to protect the quarterback. All those things are taken into consideration when you determine whether a guy gets playing time or not."

    Wilson, Gilbride explained, wasn't asked to do much else other than run in his three years at Virginia Tech. On the contrary, Doug Martin, taken one spot before David Wilson in April's draft, ran a pro-style offense at Boise State and has contributed immediately for the Buccaneers. He currently ranks first in the NFL in total yards from scrimmage at 128.7 per game and tied for fourth in rushing with 862 yards." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

  • #2
    How can he earn trust when they put him out there one play...everyone knows its going to him and bc he doesn't score a TD he gets put on the bench.

    Meanwhile AB's fumbling at the worst times. Getting in players and coaches face but yet TC trust him :mindblown:.

    It really upsets me that every other team finds away to get plays from their rookies and TC wont give these dudes a chance till his hands are forced.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by The Notorious B.I.G BLUE View Post
      How can he earn trust when they put him out there one play...everyone knows its going to him and bc he doesn't score a TD he gets put on the bench.

      Meanwhile AB's fumbling at the worst times. Getting in players and coaches face but yet TC trust him :mindblown:.

      It really upsets me that every other team finds away to get plays from their rookies and TC wont give these dudes a chance till his hands are forced.

      Did you read the article? Gilbride explains why Martin starts and Wilson doesn't
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm tired of Gilbride's endless rationalizations regarding Wilson......Gilbride talks about practicing, earning trust, blah blah blah.....and then puts in a guy who can't practice and fumbles away the Giants best chance to get back into the game.

        Next time around, please draft a linebacker instead of someone that is going to get mothballed by Killdrive.
        "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

        "Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
          I'm tired of Gilbride's endless rationalizations regarding Wilson......Gilbride talks about practicing, earning trust, blah blah blah.....and then puts in a guy who can't practice and fumbles away the Giants best chance to get back into the game.

          Next time around, please draft a linebacker instead of someone that is going to get mothballed by Killdrive.
          He's not "mothballed" he's returning kicks. They had more snaps drawn up for him but we sucked so bad on Sunday they had to abandon it.
          “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

          Comment


          • #6
            What has David Diehl done to earn the coaches' trust?

            Comment


            • #7
              2 questions that are killing me:

              1)If Martin is still available for us on draft day, do we still take Wilson? According to Mike Garafolo, yes. And he said he's had multiple sources within the organization tell have told him that. I still don't know.

              2)If we, by some chance, ended up with Martin, do you think he would actually have more playing time based on those things the coaches talked about, or do you think he would've gotten less carries than he's getting at TB regardless? Call me a pessimist, but I don't think we throw him right in there like Tampa did, just don't see it.

              Comment


              • #8
                When was the last time he had a kickoff return that looked like it could break for a TD? The 9ers game? Seems to me like he's getting coached right out of what he instinctively does.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by egyptian420 View Post
                  2 questions that are killing me:

                  1)If Martin is still available for us on draft day, do we still take Wilson? According to Mike Garafolo, yes. And he said he's had multiple sources within the organization tell have told him that. I still don't know.

                  2)If we, by some chance, ended up with Martin, do you think he would actually have more playing time based on those things the coaches talked about, or do you think he would've gotten less carries than he's getting at TB regardless? Call me a pessimist, but I don't think we throw him right in there like Tampa did, just don't see it.
                  Who really knows? I don't think they are disappointed in Wilson
                  “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by egyptian420 View Post
                    2 questions that are killing me:

                    1)If Martin is still available for us on draft day, do we still take Wilson? According to Mike Garafolo, yes. And he said he's had multiple sources within the organization tell have told him that. I still don't know.

                    2)If we, by some chance, ended up with Martin, do you think he would actually have more playing time based on those things the coaches talked about, or do you think he would've gotten less carries than he's getting at TB regardless? Call me a pessimist, but I don't think we throw him right in there like Tampa did, just don't see it.
                    In my opinion,

                    1) Yes
                    2) Yes he would have gotten more playing than D. Wilson, but he'd still be behind AB in depth.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It'll be very nice to see a fresh Wilson vs worn down December NFL defenses.
                      My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        What a way to put the Kid down KG. Keep that crap to yourself. KG kills me... he's basically saying that Wilson isn't good enough to start but another rookie is....smh. What are they trying to do to this kid... shatter his confidence?? That's a joke man This kid is every bit as good as Martin and he doesn't see the field?? KG shouldn't be saying this crap to the media. That's the kind of stuff you keep within the team. You don't compare two rookies especially when one has shown what he can do because he plays. How the hell does KG know that if the kid gets 0 playing time??? I know he see's him in practice but he has no idea what this kid could do in a game.
                        Last edited by Eliscruzzz; 11-12-2012, 09:54 PM.
                        sigpicShould the Giants fire Gilbride....

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONL7L...yer_detailpage

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by gmen0820 View Post
                          It'll be very nice to see a fresh Wilson vs worn down December NFL defenses.
                          You mean vs worn down special teams coverage units, right?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
                            You mean vs worn down special teams coverage units, right?
                            Lmao yeah probably
                            My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              KG is completely right. Most of you fans act as if you are at the practices watching Wilson. The coaching staff see weaknesses in the passing game. Like KG said, Martin ran a pro style offense and was ready to contribute right away....Wilson on the other hand is a whole different story and wasnt asked to do little things like that. Martin reminds me of Emmitt Smith coming out of college, a running back that can catch, block, has great vision even tho he dont have top end speed.

                              If Wilson wants more time....HE NEEDS TO EARN IT IN PRACTICE. People complain that Wilson is not getting a chance? He gets that damn chance every single day at practice. Even on special teams hes muffing punts, he needs to get better. Why throw him out their to fail? Especially with this offensive line playing the way it is.
                              " In Reese to Sign a Bust"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X