Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we end this thread - it's exhausting to keep seeing it rise to the top of the boards and be perpetuated.

The term "elite" is such a ridiculous adjective in sports. Who really cares what Phil Simms has to say about him at this point other than being a paid announcer and pundit to do so. He obviously has other feelings at play here given Eli passed him in the Giants record books.

Bottom line - Eli has two SB rings, is one of the handful of QBs in the game right now who even has one, and is amongst the very few in the league whose team can be confident they can win one with their current starting QB. We're lucky to have that. End of story.
    "Release the Kraken!"

- Dan Dierdorf, Giants vs Dolphins, 10/30/2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Roosevelt View Post
      Before you do, let me tell you something Eli was saying about his big brother. Someone had asked Eli how Peyton was doing and Eli respond that he "continues to make progress" and that you can see by his throws (that he's throwing tighter spirals - his words) as the season has progressed.

Now let's be honest, Eli has thrown and continues to throw a lot of wobbly ducks. No doubt he has improved, especially with his accuracy, but he just doesn't throw a great pass. And of course we all know that has stopped him from being a two-time SB MVP. So don't get your panties in a bunch over it. Everything is relative. It's just football talk.
      i guess ill start with "eli has the highest % completion on passes 20 yds or more, as well as the most passes traveled 20 yds in the air or more over the last what, 3 seasons?"
      the fact he is able to be so competitive with other qbs passer completion, qb rating when he's making so many more difficult throws a year, to me, means he is one helluva passer.
      peyton manning throws the ugliest ducks ive ever seen...guess what, they all are on target. is he not "a great passer"? eli doesnt always have the prettiest ball, he also rarely has the time to set his feet and plant into the throw with how quickly he consistently gets rid of the ball. he's able to make those passes 20 yds or more with more success than other qbs while often having to throw off his back foot...eli's saving grace imo is his ability as a passer. he makes stick throws in situations other qbs simply cannot ie the sb pass to MM...

Comment

• throwing the tightest spiral has nothing to do with being a great passer imo. jemarcus russell threw the tightest spiral i've ever seen, same with vick...they arent .25 the passer eli is...and eli still throws a very good spiral. sometimes, like the td pass to randle, when trying to place the ball on certain throws, ur just not gonna have a super tight spiral...and again, peyton throws the ugliest ducks ive ever seen, watch some full games of his even going back to indy...talk about wobblers...is it ur contention peyton isnt a great passer?

Comment

I thought last year was a precursor of what was to come. Perhaps I misjudged him.
          no not really...you will see that again. But how many QBs are truly "slumpless"???? Most have them . Eli more than some.
          Its his game.....this is what he does....
          "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
          You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Ah, but would Joe have thrived here in the Meadowlands as he did with Joe Walsh? I don't think so.
            I'm betting you meant Bill Walsh, Rosie, although I'm a big Joe Walsh fan too - 'cause life's been good to me so far.

Comment

• someone made sure this thread died

Comment

• Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                no not really...you will see that again. But how many QBs are truly "slumpless"????.
                brees. .. . Oh, wait.
                Don't take it personal, we're just debating.

~Big Mike~

Comment

• Originally posted by yatitle View Post
                  Simms most "accurate" years were the last 2 years of his career. Don't think it is far fetched to believe the same might be true for Eli.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...S/SimmPh00.htm
                  True, and I don't believe it's any coincidence that was around the same time the Giants brought in Jim Fassel to coach Simms. Eli grew up in football and has always had a QB coach. I'm not sure Eli has more to learn about the game of football.
                  Torque it till it breaks, then back off a 1/4 turn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
                    I think so ... Ed DeBartolo Jr. was the driving force on that team, not Bill Walsh (from an emotional standpoint) and he and Parcells were very similar in their interactions with the players.

There's a great episode of The Football Life on Eddie D. on the NFL Network currently btw.

The system was Walsh's was it not?

Comment

• Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
                      throwing the tightest spiral has nothing to do with being a great passer imo. jemarcus russell threw the tightest spiral i've ever seen, same with vick...they arent .25 the passer eli is...and eli still throws a very good spiral. sometimes, like the td pass to randle, when trying to place the ball on certain throws, ur just not gonna have a super tight spiral...and again, peyton throws the ugliest ducks ive ever seen, watch some full games of his even going back to indy...talk about wobblers...is it ur contention peyton isnt a great passer?
                      Do you fail to read the part where I wrote those were "ELI'S WORDS"?

Don't tell me, tell Eli.
                      Last edited by Roosevelt; 11-30-2012, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chasjay View Post
                        I'm betting you meant Bill Walsh, Rosie, although I'm a big Joe Walsh fan too - 'cause life's been good to me so far.
                        lol. Actually I was referring to the former Giant coach and Jets head coach.

Comment

• C'mon everybody, let this thread go already.

Comment

Do you fail to read the part where I wrote those were "ELI'S WORDS"?

Don't tell me, tell Eli.
                            but ur the one saying eli isnt a great passer bc he doesnt always have a tight spiral. eli was merely commenting on his brothers health and getting back into football. peyton prob couldnt throw at all at one point, and now he's throwing spirals...still, peyton has some of the uglies ducks ever even worse than eli. is peyton not a great passer? is simms a better "passer" then peyton bc simms had a tighter spiral? im really asking bc i believe even earlier in the thread you made the contention that eli would never be a good passer bc of some of the ducks he throws in comparison to simms...so if peyton throws an even uglier ball, that must follow suit for peyton too no?

we all just have different measurement parameters i guess, to me, if it isnt the prettiest spiral but still ends up where it needs to be, i dont hold that against a qb. im more into the results, then looks. and in a lot of ways, stats are metaphorically the looks of a qb, while w/l and success is the results...for me at least

Comment

• Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
                              Ohhh gotta disagree there big guy.

As for Simms comments, I believe they were more attention driven then anything. Simms is an analyst/commentator and he needs talking point material as much as anyone. But yeah I think part of it was maliciously driven. Phil has never struck me as the overly evolved type.
                              ^

Comment

lol. Actually I was referring to the former Giant coach and Jets head coach.
                                you got me.

Comment

Working...
                                X