This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil Simms: "No, Eli Is Not One Of The Elites....."

"No, he is not one of the elites," Simms said in quotes distributed by CBS. "Because when I hear the word elite, I'm thinking about guys that can make unbelievable plays on the field by themselves. There are very few quarterbacks in that category.

"So yes, Eli has been a tremendous team player. He has been MVP of the Super Bowl twice. I know that. But the way I look at it, the answer is no."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2C8Eaubto

Here we go again.....

• giantcarll
    replied
    You're right.

Simms seems to be scorned after Hostettler took over and won that superbowl.Then shortly after that he was cut.What makes it worse is when Eli won 2 superbowls and Simms is saying he is not an elite QB.Not to mention Eli just broke his record for most touchdown passes.Also has anybody realize that after Simms was cut he takes on being an announcer for channel 2 I believe for the Jets games.Maybe channel 2 paid him more (dont know) but being an ex Giant why wouldnt you want to announce giant games (dont know if he was approach with it) but it just seems as if he didnt want anything to do with them after he left.Just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Eliscruzzz
    replied
    Originally posted by mike kennedy View Post
    Could we kill this post?
    It was almost dead until....

Leave a comment:

• mike kennedy
    replied
    Could we kill this post?

Leave a comment:

• Eliscruzzz
    replied
    Originally posted by BuffyBlueII View Post
    It is amazing how some folks just wait in the wings for Eli to have some bad games so they can run out and point fingers. It is even more amazing that these folks are NY Giants fans. Sure Eli Manning is off and is still not fully out of his slump yet but we are 7-4 and he has thrown for almost 3,000 yards. He is almost out of his slump and will soon light it up. Count on it.I find it even more amazing that people question Eli's toughness. The guy has never missed a game and can take a beating and still excel better than any other QB in football. Folks need to pay attention and appreciate that Eli Manning is our QB.
    this^^^^

Leave a comment:

• bigjeep
    replied
    Originally posted by jomo View Post
    ...........as I said about 40 pages ago, this thread has some amazing legs given the fact that it is more or less a retread topic.
    Go Blue!!
    As I said 85 pages ago, ah hmm! I forgot!

Leave a comment:

• GameTime
    replied
    Eli is more polarizing then Tebow......lol

Leave a comment:

• jomo
    replied
    Originally posted by GameTime View Post
    no doubt...many things have been said over and over....
    itsf fun to read. Several pages back I called it the HOUSEWIVES OF THE GIANTS MESSAGE BOARDS.....HOGMB......LOL
    It is funny to read. I am always interested in which threads generate energy. That is where the divide is greatest and the passion runs deepest. Even if the topic doesn't interest me, it clearly stokes the fire in many. That's what makes it very interesting to me.

Leave a comment:

• Dline83
    replied
    Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    did u write this urself? thats a damn good write up if u did. i think its a little unfair to simms, but its answered some of the questions here...
    I put it together this morning, there are a bunch more comments out there, but I got tired of searching...

Leave a comment:

• BParcells777
    replied
    Come on guys- Phil Simms is not present day Giants fan, even during his career he

played GRUMPY......Then Wellington cut him loose

He respects Eli but has no love for the Giants organization

He seems to like New England (his old DC- Bellicheck).....He also seems to like SFO, Pittsburg, Jets

If he does like a particular NFL team (as is a fan) I'd like to know who it is

Get over his comments about Eli..........Phil wants us to flop back to the mediocrity he found us in when he reported to his 1st Giants training camp.

Geroge, Parcells, Bellicheck and Phil pulled us out of a 20 year tailspin.......he likes those Giants teams of the 80's

He is our less vocal "Joe Namath".......Phil cannot relate to the present day Giants and likely does not have a close friend in the entire organization except perhaps John Mara, who's Dad (deceased) stepped in and challenged his uncle Wellington to turn over control to real football people- Roselle settles the family feud by recommending George Young to take over football operations.........George drafted LT and Phil promoted Parcells and the rest is history

Leave a comment:

• Flip Empty
    replied
    Originally posted by ShakeandBake View Post

Leave a comment:

• giantsfan420
    replied
    Originally posted by Dline83 View Post
    Phil Simms has said the Eli and Coughlin are destined for the HOF.

On the final drive in the Super Bowl Manning was 6 of 7 for 74 yards, pretty big game and pretty accurate passing.

Simms is also the guy that said Luck would not be able to make big NFL type throws and said he would quit if Mallet wasn't taken in the first round...he went in the 3rd...

Dan Fouts said after Simms comments that "you can't spell elite without Eli", this is a quote for him:

“You can’t spell elite without Eli,” Fouts said. “The pressure situations that Eli has thrived in over his short career, in my mind, make him an elite quarterback, because that is when you’re judged. How well do you do when the pressure is on, when you’ve got to win the game?

“And all you have to do is look back at his two Super Bowl wins and the way he beat the Patriots. I have to give him a nod and say Eli is elite.”

Simms had also called other qb not elite, like Marino...he is making me confused....

“‘Elite,' it's a new word in the football vocabulary. It really is,” he continued. “It's this new thing. I don't remember hearing it 25-30 years ago. With the way it's talked about now, Dan Marino was not elite, Warren Moon was never elite, Dan Fouts was not elite. Even though they went to the Hall of Fame, they're not elite.

Apparently I'm not the only one confused...from USA today:

"So, by that logic, is Manning still a Hall of Famer in Simms' mind?

Seriously, Phil Simms, what are you even saying?"

Here is a comment from Aikman:

"It's easy to say, 'Yeah he won, but ...'" former Dallas quarterback Troy Aikman, who has three titles, said. "When you win a second Super Bowl or multiple Super Bowls, it eliminates a lot of those buts. It puts you in the conversation of the all-time greats and in the conversation for the Hall of Fame."

Not unbiased, but this is from Diehl:

"He's evolved into an unbelievable player," Diehl said. "His knowledge and grasp of the offense, the way he handles things, that's just from a football standpoint, let alone his leadership."

Diehl told a story about how, early in Manning's career, people outside of the Giants' organization would get flustered at Manning's unflappable, even emotionless, demeanor. He was one direction -- down the middle -- whether the Giants won or they lost, whether he played well or like a dog.

"People said, 'Oh he's so calm under pressure,' then something doesn't go right and he's the same way, and it's, 'Oh my God, how come he doesn't show emotion?'" Diehl said.

"It's just been unbelievable to see the way he's improved, the grasp of the offense, the audibles, the sacks, the recognition of blitzes, but most importantly the leadership," Diehl added. "He's stepped up tremendously for this football team and our offense. When the game is on the line, he wants the ball in his hands. It's just been awesome."

Jacoby Jones said:

"Number one? Best player in the NFL?" Jones said. "You know what, I'm going to give hats off to Eli Manning."

Michael,Boley:

Giants linebacker Michael Boley: "We have the best quarterback in the league. It's never over."

Josh Wilson:

"Right now, (Manning) is (the best late-game quarterback in the league)," Redskins cornerback Josh Wilson said. "He won this one."

Davon House:

"That's what kind of separates a good secondary and a great secondary," second-year cornerback Davon House said. "How do you play against the best guys in the league?"

Rob Ryan:

“He does a great job. He’s got an unbelievable touch. He will stand in there in the face of a damn hurricane and throw the ball. He’s really tough. We’re looking forward to this challenge. We’ve played some great quarterbacks during the year and this guy is no exception. He’s really playing well. He’s in that elite group for sure.”

I would say that's a pretty good sampling...
    did u write this urself? thats a damn good write up if u did. i think its a little unfair to simms, but its answered some of the questions here...

Leave a comment:

• GameTime
    replied
    Originally posted by ShakeandBake View Post
    Spiderman is a definitely an Elite Superhero......

Leave a comment:

• ShakeandBake
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GameTime
    replied
    Originally posted by jomo View Post
    ...........as I said about 40 pages ago, this thread has some amazing legs given the fact that it is more or less a retread topic.
    Go Blue!!
    no doubt...many things have been said over and over....
    itsf fun to read. Several pages back I called it the HOUSEWIVES OF THE GIANTS MESSAGE BOARDS.....HOGMB......LOL

Leave a comment:

Working...
X