Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New equipment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    I realize that we are talking about apples and oranges here, but consider NASCAR. The drivers don't have choices about certain equipment....it has to be worn. The cars are required to be designed a certain way.

    And yet, with all the restrictions, you've got guys flying around the track at 200 mph and surviving insane crashes.

    I'm not talking about adding some pads....something more radical.......I'm thinking of something along the lines of an exoskeleton.....where a joint (like a knee) can't go in the wrong direction.

    Players could get their own custom suits.
    "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

    "Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
      I realize that we are talking about apples and oranges here, but consider NASCAR. The drivers don't have choices about certain equipment....it has to be worn. The cars are required to be designed a certain way.

      And yet, with all the restrictions, you've got guys flying around the track at 200 mph and surviving insane crashes.

      I'm not talking about adding some pads....something more radical.......I'm thinking of something along the lines of an exoskeleton.....where a joint (like a knee) can't go in the wrong direction.

      Players could get their own custom suits.
      Concussions are in a class of their own because of the lingering, debilitating effects they have on brain function. You can live a long time with a limp or aches and pains.
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
        there are companies that have made externally cushioned helmets....but the NFL won't buy in

        I overheard a discussion on this topic at a charity event last season...and one of the league reps actually said

        "that would steal away the sounds of the game."

        I **** you not......the sounds of the game he said

        this tells me that these guys are more concerned with what the Sabol family captures than the long term heath of their players
        I remember at least 25 years ago seeing a special on TV about the new "soft" helmets.
        Maybe thats why they never took off....The "sound" of the game.
        Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
          I remember at least 25 years ago seeing a special on TV about the new "soft" helmets.
          Maybe thats why they never took off....The "sound" of the game.
          I remember that special it was in black and white
          “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

          Comment


          • #50
            I agree on the helmets. Makes no sense to me they can't design a more protective helmet.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
              The concussion issue will not be solved with "equipment." What causes concussions is the unnatural movement of the brain WITHIN the skull. I can't see any external piece of equipment that would, of itself, prevent that.
              This.
              Injuries happen within the body, not on the outside of the body. New equipment may prevent a bruised knee, but not what gets torn on the inside.

              /Thread.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by TroyArcher View Post
                I agree on the helmets. Makes no sense to me they can't design a more protective helmet.
                If a helmet can't be designed to prevent the brain from moving around inside he skull, it doesn't matter how tough they make it.
                “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                  Concussions are in a class of their own because of the lingering, debilitating effects they have on brain function. You can live a long time with a limp or aches and pains.
                  I think something can be done with helmets as well.....maybe a multi-layered helmet that absorbs impact like a car absorbs kinectic energy.

                  Another option is to change other equipment so that a blow to the head isn't as easy..... think a medieval knight's armor.

                  I think a connected helmet might also eliminate the whiplash effect that causes concussions...... often, a concussion occurs after the hit, when the helmet slams into the turf. A connected helmet might arrest alot of that velocity.
                  Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 11-16-2012, 04:17 PM.
                  "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

                  "Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                    If a helmet can't be designed to prevent the brain from moving around inside he skull, it doesn't matter how tough they make it.
                    I've got the solution.........smaller heads.
                    Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                      I've got the solution.........smaller heads.
                      I'm just leaving that alone, thanks. Someone else has said "no helmets" and while I laughed at the time......
                      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                        I'm just leaving that alone, thanks. Someone else has said "no helmets" and while I laughed at the time......
                        Don't laugh. I remember Barry Beck (NY Rangers defensman) saying that helmets made hockey a lot more dangerous. He thought players were more more aggressive with helmets.
                        Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                          Don't laugh. I remember Barry Beck (NY Rangers defensman) saying that helmets made hockey a lot more dangerous. He thought players were more more aggressive with helmets.
                          This is the truth and it's the only alternative to what we have now that would be any different.

                          Not saying I am one of the voices advocating for it, but players aren't very likely to use their heads as projectiles without a helmet. The problem is though that serious head injuries may decline as a number, but the ones that do occur will be infinitely more serious than they are now.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                            I remember at least 25 years ago seeing a special on TV about the new "soft" helmets.
                            Maybe thats why they never took off....The "sound" of the game.
                            it really puts where the leagues head is at into perspective

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                              Don't laugh. I remember Barry Beck (NY Rangers defensman) saying that helmets made hockey a lot more dangerous. He thought players were more more aggressive with helmets.
                              Speaking from the vantage point of someone who was hit in the eye with a high stick, I have to disagree. I'd never get on the ice again without a helmet and face cage.

                              I get his point though.
                              Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 11-16-2012, 06:55 PM.
                              "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

                              "Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Here's some relevant information as to the possible breadth and depth of the pending lawsuits.

                                http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...s/Default.aspx
                                “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X