New equipment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New equipment

I wonder about NFL equipment.....we've got materials out there that can literrally stop a bullet, and yet we can't develop equipment that can protect against blowing out knees and concussions, etc.

Maybe the best solution is a radically redesigned, mandatory equipment.
    "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

"Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

stopping a bullet is much easier than stopping a body from contorting in an undesirable way upon impact

Comment

The concussion issue will not be solved with "equipment." What causes concussions is the unnatural movement of the brain WITHIN the skull. I can't see any external piece of equipment that would, of itself, prevent that.
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
        I wonder about NFL equipment.....we've got materials out there that can literrally stop a bullet, and yet we can't develop equipment that can protect against blowing out knees and concussions, etc.

Its not the man made equipment that's the problem. Its the equipment God made.
        Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

You don't see many knee braces being worn because the players choose not to wear them.
          Making them mandatory would probably be opposed by the union. Same for other equipment.

Comment

Knee injuries are pretty much impossible to prevent with equipment, it has to do with how your leg is planted and how it gets hit. A guy can roll into your leg, but equipment can't really stop your knee from bending.

As far as concussions, I am pretty sure they have a licensing agreement with Riddell (might be another company) and there might be a company that has better equipment specifically for preventing concussions, but that doesn't mean they can just start using them.

Comment

Originally posted by fourth&forever View Post
              You don't see many knee braces being worn because the players choose not to wear them.
              Making them mandatory would probably be opposed by the union. Same for other equipment.
              Weren't thigh pads a big issue with the NFLPA in the last negotiatoon?
              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                Its not the man made equipment that's the problem. Its the equipment God made.
                It really is a problem made a lot more prominent by the flood of former players' lawsuits against the NFL

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                  Weren't thigh pads a big issue with the NFLPA in the last negotiatoon?
                  I think next year its mandatory.

Comment

It really is a problem made a lot more prominent by the flood of former players' lawsuits against the NFL
                    And that is what this is all about.

All these new rules and huge fines for guys doing what used to be considered good football.
                    They see a boatload of liability down the road. This is all an attempt to mitigate that.
                    Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

The concussion issue will not be solved with "equipment." What causes concussions is the unnatural movement of the brain WITHIN the skull. I can't see any external piece of equipment that would, of itself, prevent that.
                      Make helmets out of that material they used in Time Cop, remember when his car went into the fountain, it filled with foam? lol

So hitting your head on the ground, would basically be impactless lol

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111438/

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                        And that is what this is all about.

All these new rules and huge fines for guys doing what used to be considered good football.
                        They see a boatload of liability down the road. This is all an attempt to mitigate that.
                        Fear of incurred cost has been and probably will continue to be the only force that drives workplace safety. Take it from a guy who works construction in the south, if there are no consequences safety wont even be considered.

Ends and means notwithstanding, this is a good thing, at least for those who play this game we enjoy.

Comment

Players use the same material that stop bullets, kevlar. Some use it in their chest pads and helmets as well. The brain still bounces off the skull when hit with enough force no matter whats protecting your head.

Comment

Exactly. The studies currently in place for concussions, are more for aftercare than preventative care.

Retweeted by Rueben Randle
                            @Katdaddyjay 17h
                            @RuebenRandle @OBJ_3 @Giants
                            http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps625a51fb.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by fourth&forever View Post
                              A few years back I researched knee braces, talked to Ortho friends and there is (was) little to support that knee braces prevent injury. i bought one anyway..a very expensive one. He blew his ACL on 1st day of practice his senior year. Bummer.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X