Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can TC develop rookies and win with them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can TC develop rookies and win with them?

IMHO Coughlin can do this when he wants to, but only when he has exhausted all other options. Poor Andy Reid is suffering, but he seems to get more out of rookie, offensive skill players than anyone else, and a lot of other coaches seem to get more earlier from their top picks. TC sets up a self-fulfilling prophecy. He doesn't like rookie mistakes and he favors veteran players. If he communicates that thought, and he has and he does, rookie players, in fact no player, will respond well to reduced/diminished expectations. The other half of the story is, of course they won't get the opportunity to develop and consequently their development is ******ed.

Is this an anachronistic policy? In my opinion yes. Given the short life expectancy of an NFL career, you just can't have 20% of your team playing suicide squad or warming the bench. And given the injury casualty rate, and the frequency and severity of injuries in today's game, you need to have confidence that you can play your rookies in the second half of the season and win with them.

Admittedly this is a matter of degree and I think TC is a very good coach, but this appears to be an area of concern with Tom. Furthermore, given Reese's penchant for picking raw talent (aka "projects"), IMHO he hasn't exactly got the right coach for that strategy.

What are your thoughts?

Is this another "Wilson should be playing more" rant?

Comment

I don't think it's about picking sides and just taking veterans over rookie draft picks. It's really the about the rookie draft picks being able to perform in practice and in the game, basically being able to play at the NFL level and not making too many mistakes. There were some rookies that got a starting role early in their rookie season under Coughlin like Nicks, A. Ross, K. Phillips.

Comment

Ho hum another Wilson Rant!

Comment

Nothing new with TC... he didn't want to start Eli his rookie year so much so that he went and found Kurt freaking Warner to babysit...

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

Wheren't the Giants 5-4 with Warner? He did go to a SB after leaving us...Also, TC won the SB with Ross, Alford, Boos, Steve Smith and Bradshaw as rookies.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy333 View Post
              Sounds like an Eagles' fan
              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
                Nothing new with TC... he didn't want to start Eli his rookie year so much so that he went and found Kurt freaking Warner to babysit...
                Wasn't Warner already here?
                “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                  Wasn't Warner already here?
                  Yes he was.

Quick question, how many rookie starters in SB42?

I know, I know, injuries, but still, they were there.

Comment

Originally posted by Kendo15 View Post
                    Yes he was.

I have no idea

Comment

Originally posted by Kendo15 View Post
                      Yes he was.

Actually the rookies that played that season were not in there due to injuries other than Bradshaw for Ward and Boss for Shockey. However both Bradshaw and Boss were seeing playing time before those injuries anyway,
                      Over 7000 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Comment

two words for the OP: Eli Manning

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy333 View Post
                          Could be! The giants give rookies plenty of chances. TT went down, and we had tons of rookies filling in for him, so I am not sure what this argument is about.
                          Reese, gone. Check! Bench McAdoo Doo, gone. Check! Let's Giants 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by cva14 View Post
                            IMHO Coughlin can do this when he wants to, but only when he has exhausted all other options. Poor Andy Reid is suffering, but he seems to get more out of rookie, offensive skill players than anyone else, and a lot of other coaches seem to get more earlier from their top picks. TC sets up a self-fulfilling prophecy. He doesn't like rookie mistakes and he favors veteran players. If he communicates that thought, and he has and he does, rookie players, in fact no player, will respond well to reduced/diminished expectations. The other half of the story is, of course they won't get the opportunity to develop and consequently their development is ******ed.

Is this an anachronistic policy? In my opinion yes. Given the short life expectancy of an NFL career, you just can't have 20% of your team playing suicide squad or warming the bench. And given the injury casualty rate, and the frequency and severity of injuries in today's game, you need to have confidence that you can play your rookies in the second half of the season and win with them.

Admittedly this is a matter of degree and I think TC is a very good coach, but this appears to be an area of concern with Tom. Furthermore, given Reese's penchant for picking raw talent (aka "projects"), IMHO he hasn't exactly got the right coach for that strategy.

What are your thoughts?
                            i think you missed the 2007 season

Rookies get the chance when they earn it
                            https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheeBloodSport/

Comment

Hosley has played a bunch.

Comment

Working...
                              X