Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mathias Kiwanuka Embracing Dual Role On Giants' Defense

http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/5569

Excerpt: "When he was selected in the first round of the 2006 draft, Mathias Kiwanukaprobably never imagined that he would ever become one of those “slash” type of players.

Yet that’s the position he finds himself in today as the versatile Kiwanuka lines up as both the strong side linebacker and as a defensive end, the latter of which he played exclusively in last week’s dominating performance over the Packers.

“Yeah, I definitely love being down there. That’s a big part of the reason why even when I was playing linebacker, I would still go down on most third-downs and be able to rush. That’s what I do naturally.”

Kiwanuka, who last year signed a contract extension, could have tested the free agency market if he wanted to, searching for a team that would have used him extensively as a defensive end. But he said he met with the Giants brass who sold him ion the idea of continuing to put his versatility to good use before he agreed to his contract extension.

“I had a meeting with the GM (Jerry Reese) and (head coach Tom) Coughlin, and this is what I signed up for,” he said. “There’s going to be times when I’m used at linebacker and there will be times when they need me as a defensive lineman. I’m good as long as I feel prepared going into that game, I’ll play whatever.” Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Defensive lineman, please.
    "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

"Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

Comment

They better keep him on the d-line. Why change it???
      sigpicShould the Giants fire Gilbride....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONL7L...yer_detailpage

Comment

Originally posted by Eliscruzzz View Post
        They better keep him on the d-line. Why change it???
        He had an immediate impact on the defensive line....granted the Packer line has issues, but the Giants pass rush definitely got a shot in the arm with Kiwi up front.
        "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

Comment

it is his natural role...but I get the whole "most talented" guys on the Field at the same time thing.

Hence: the 3 Safety look, which also looked excellent for the better part of the GB game

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

Comment

Originally posted by giantyankee1976 View Post
            it is his natural role...but I get the whole "most talented" guys on the Field at the same time thing.

Hence: the 3 Safety look, which also looked excellent for the better part of the GB game
            Agreed.....having Stevie Brown on the team has really helped.

Comment

Gotta love this guy. He's willing to do whatever it takes to help the team win.

Comment

Here'show the Giants defense plays great. Rolle at nickel, Kiwi on line and Chase = Prince and Webby both having safety help and the middle jammed up. That's the way the Giants need to attack the games. Anything else would be a crime.

Oh yea, add in a closer to 100% Nicks and offense rocks as well. Cruz needs to man up a catch the ball and stop looking for defenders

Comment

Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
                  Agreed.....having Stevie Brown on the team has really helped.
                  hell yes, but KP is a factor as well

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

Comment

I think he is better DE than LB...

Comment

He's a good player and we're lucky to have him. Good but not great at both LB and DE. Definition of a "solid" player that any team in the league would want.

Comment

GET EM Kiwi!

Comment

Originally posted by FrankAE View Post
                          Here'show the Giants defense plays great. Rolle at nickel, Kiwi on line and Chase = Prince and Webby both having safety help and the middle jammed up. That's the way the Giants need to attack the games. Anything else would be a crime.

Oh yea, add in a closer to 100% Nicks and offense rocks as well. Cruz needs to man up a catch the ball and stop looking for defenders
                          Rolle at Nickel is definitely a good approach but it would be nice to give different looks with a Will Hill, Stevie Brown or a Jayron Hosley helping out in that spot as well when certain matchups are better for Rolle to be at his natural safety spot. I think they do some of that anyway but to me exclusively Rolle at Nickel could eventually be exploited if they give that look all the time or too much. Defensive alignments need to be mixed up or eventually someone will exploit it. Fewell mixed up all defensive aspects beautifully Sunday and that needs to continue. I would add to your comment about the offense also. They need to run the ball efficiently (similar to the GB game) and not abandon it too soon. The balance against GB was perfect 26 runs 30 passes with 4.7 a rush. Need to keep that up!
                          Over 7000 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Comment

Originally posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
                            He had an immediate impact on the defensive line....granted the Packer line has issues, but the Giants pass rush definitely got a shot in the arm with Kiwi up front.
                            The couple of plays where he played DT he did really really well.
                            Reese, gone. Check! Bench McAdoo Doo, gone. Check! Let's Giants 2018.

Comment

I think Kiwi's role in the defense depends on the identity of the opponent. If the opponent is a pass-heavy team like the Packers than we will generally go to a 4-2-5 scheme where as if we were playing a run heavy team like the 49ers or Redskins then we will generally go to a 4-3-4.

In the 4-2-5 Kiwi will probably have a bigger role as a rotational DE than as a LB whereas in the 4-3-4 he'll contribute more as a SLB rather than a rotational DE. So yeah, since his athletic ability is so versatile we can cater him to go against what the opponent is strong against.

Besides I think someone said this before, there's no sense in keeping good players off the field. You have to find ways to keep most of your best players on the field. No sense for Kiwi to be earning that much money to only be used as a rotational DE and that too sparingly. Besides he's one of our better LBs barring Boley and probably Williams.
                              “Fall down seven times, get up eight.”

Comment

Working...
                              X