Is it still allowed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it still allowed?

back in the old days you could drop kick the ball from anywhere on the field for a field goal, even beyond the line of scrimmage. Is this still allowed in college and the pros. Random question to fuel a football debate with my father.

Are we talking rugby or american football?

Comment

Originally posted by nygfanmaybe View Post
      Are we talking rugby or american football?
      American football.

Comment

Originally posted by Giants5699 View Post
        American football.
        As far as I know you can only drop kick a free kick and a punt and both have to be before the line of scrimmage and neither can result in a Field Goal ... only a Touch Back.

*EDIT* - Correction: apparently it is legal to drop kick a field goal or extra point but the ball has to hit the ground first.

https://www.profootballhof.com/histo...d=1481&print=y

Hall of Famer Earl "Dutch" Clark is believed to be the last player to successfully dropkick a field goal in the NFL. According to game accounts, he dropkicked a 17-yard field goal in the Detroit Lions 16-7 victory over the Chicago Cardinals on September 19, 1937.
        Last edited by Kruunch; 11-29-2012, 03:27 PM.
        I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

For whatever reason, you don't see them very often. I don't know if I've ever seen one attempted in a game, but for some reason I am thinking Doug Flutie.

Another thing that is rare is a free kick. There is a rule...or was at one time...that you can attempt a free-kick on the next play following a fair catch. If there were only a couple of seconds left until half or even the end of the game and you fair caught a punt, you could line-up on the next play and attempt a field goal unchallenged by the defense.

Comment

Originally posted by nygfanmaybe View Post
            For whatever reason, you don't see them very often. I don't know if I've ever seen one attempted in a game, but for some reason I am thinking Doug Flutie.

Another thing that is rare is a free kick. There is a rule...or was at one time...that you can attempt a free-kick on the next play following a fair catch. If there were only a couple of seconds left until half or even the end of the game and you fair caught a punt, you could line-up on the next play and attempt a field goal unchallenged by the defense.
            Yeah Flutie was the last person to score on a drop kick (extra point).
            I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

We saw a free kick a few years back against Arizona....

back to the drop king thing, my pops tells me that you could theoretically run down the field and drop kick a field goal. I don't think it ever happened though.

Comment

since we're talking about weird kicks. Remember this bizarre play?

Last edited by Rusty192; 11-29-2012, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty192 View Post

[vidoe][/video]
                  Fixed:

Over 7000 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty192 View Post

All that build up from the announcers for Rackers to totally screw up.

Comment

Originally posted by repeatchamps View Post
                      all ready on top of it lol

Comment

Yeah and that was an epic fail. I think it was a 63 yarder that the Cards kicker didn't even kick 20 yds, LOL

Comment

All that build up from the announcers for Rackers to totally screw up.
                          Haha I know. And it has 2 million views too

Comment

back to the drop king thing, my pops tells me that you could theoretically run down the field and drop kick a field goal. I don't think it ever happened though.
                            That's a negative. Not allowed during a play beyond the line of scrimmage. Probably thinking Aussie Rules.

Comment

My understanding is that the drop kick has been dropped. It's no longer legal. But I can't remember when and where I saw that tidbit of information.

Comment

Working...
                              X