Being Setup For Failure ... ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being Setup For Failure ... ?

Every season we see the hot new draft pick ... most have fairly mundane rookie seasons. Some flash while others completely fall apart.

However with David Wilson, are we setting this kid up for failure in our minds? While he was our first round pick, he was the 32nd pick overall and a one dimensional player (albeit with promise) to boot.

The unproven second string guy is always the fan favorite because he brings the hope and promise of the next super star to grace our presence but might we be expecting too much out of him this early?

From my perspective, I'm thinking that he will show us little more then he's shown us to this point come Monday night and that is an occasional flash book ended by a bunch of non-noteworthy runs. And that's not a knock on the kid ... just a nod to the fact that he is a rookie playing at the highest level there is.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Considering Reese said he had him ranked ahead of Martin, he better be good, otherwise Reese finally got outsmarted early in the draft.
    WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
      Considering Reese said he had him ranked ahead of Martin, he better be good, otherwise Reese finally got outsmarted early in the draft.
      I'm not sure I'm buying that from Reese. His explanation made sense, but the Bucs didn't jump us for no reason, especially given our pick and their personnel (Mike Sullivan).
      I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
        I truly believe the GIANTS wanted Martin. Why?
        1. He is more NFL ready than Wilson
        2. He carries the ball high and tight like TC loves it.
        3. Wilson is having a difficult time learning the system. The Giants usually draft heady players.

I believe the Bucs taking Martin forced JR to jump at a second rounder in Wilson for fear of not getting a quality running back later in the draft.

Comment

Hes not had a proper chance. Coughlin was too harsh on him (for that one fumble) and I think he will break out now like Ahmad did all those years ago. I actually now feel confident on kick returns (beats blackmon anyday of the week!).

Cant wait to see him win a game with 15-20 touches.

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
            3. Wilson is having a difficult time learning the system. The Giants usually draft heady players.

I believe the Bucs taking Martin forced JR to jump at a second rounder in Wilson for fear of not getting a quality running back later in the draft.
            Well, thats not a good way to draft if thats the case. We should of just continued the treand of BPA in the first. I bet Reese see's that now. I personally thought Reese panicked for the first time Ive seen when the Bucs took Martin. Instead of drafting for talent, he drafted for need.
            WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

Comment

I agree with you completely dude! completely agree!

i think Doug Martin is the better back but there is no way to really tell... Martin had to be inserted into their system from the get go, Wilson has shown flashes but there is no way we can compare them both, one because Martin is getting triple the touches that Wilson is getting, two Martin is bigger(stockier) so they are different backs even physically...

Stand with Cruz!

Comment

1. JPP wasn't considered NFL ready by any means
                2. Give me one RB that we've had in the past 10 years that hasn't had fumbling issues
                3. Mario Manningham

Comment

Look at all of the first round guys Reese has drafted and then look at how many of them started their rookie season. Then look at how they have worked out so far. All of his first round picks have been good. Relax and give him more than one rookie season to see how he does.

Comment

Remember that LB that everyone wanted from Alabama? He is now about to be released. Anyone remember who the Giants drafted that year? Believe in Reese.

Comment

Consider the fact that he's young and inexperienced, The Coughlin grinding-stone is turning and the process of sharpening and honing has begun. Is his skin an old Nickelson file (at about 65 on the RC Scale) or is he T-6 aluminum?

Comment

i disagree krunch. for one, JR loves the physically/athletically elite (wilson fits that mold, martin does not). JPP wasnt "ready" by any means really, hes just so athletically and physically gifted.
                        i think every gm including JR realized martin would make a bigger impact much quicker than wilson. that doesnt mean JR didnt have wilson ranked ahead. for all the amazing things martins done this season, i actually didnt think he was a 1rst rounder (how wrong that sounds now) bc his biggest claim to fame wasnt a physical attribute, but that he was nfl ready.
                        wilson has the superior quickness, speed, athleticism. once his mind catches up to his body, and he receives the proper coaching and matures, wilson is going to be a better back than martin imho. bc martin has had success so early, imo people are unfairly expecting wilson to do the same...completely different situations and circumstances...but i dunno, its hard to say bc of what martins already done, but i STILL think Id rather have wilson for the long haul over martin...wilson has the potential to literally become the best back in the league, martin has the potential to become one of the best, there is a difference

Comment

i don't get all the hype.
                          he is replacing Brown , not Bradshaw.
                          so he'll get ..what ?.....7 or 8 touches to give Bradshaw a breather.
                          unless we are blowing them out in the 4th qtr
                          and he gets a lot of garbage carries running the clock out on mop up duty.
                          everybody is acting like he's starting or something.
                          TC will stick with Bradshaw even more than he did when Brown was #2.
                          TC seems totally under-whelmed with this kid and isn't gonna use him anymore
                          than what is necessary.
                          due to the fact that I am from the Woodstock generation ...
                          my opinions may be chemically enhanced and influenced by severe episodes of memory loss

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
                            i disagree krunch. for one, JR loves the physically/athletically elite (wilson fits that mold, martin does not). JPP wasnt "ready" by any means really, hes just so athletically and physically gifted.
                            I think you're confusing me with other posters ... I didn't make the "NFL ready" comment although I happen to agree with it. This is a "win now" league.

i think every gm including JR realized martin would make a bigger impact much quicker than wilson. that doesnt mean JR didnt have wilson ranked ahead. for all the amazing things martins done this season, i actually didnt think he was a 1rst rounder (how wrong that sounds now) bc his biggest claim to fame wasnt a physical attribute, but that he was nfl ready.
                            wilson has the superior quickness, speed, athleticism. once his mind catches up to his body, and he receives the proper coaching and matures, wilson is going to be a better back than martin imho. bc martin has had success so early, imo people are unfairly expecting wilson to do the same...completely different situations and circumstances...but i dunno, its hard to say bc of what martins already done, but i STILL think Id rather have wilson for the long haul over martin...wilson has the potential to literally become the best back in the league, martin has the potential to become one of the best, there is a difference
                            I agree with what you say and I wouldn't argue the point ... it's just my gut feeling that Martin, not Wilson was going to be the Giants first pick had he been available. I don't have anything to substantiate that though.

And to my point, I'm expecting very little out of Wilson against the Skins ... something like 12 carries for 40 yards and 1 reception. And that's ok (especially if we win). Wilson is the future, not the present as far as I'm concerned.

Interesting note about Martin: His one knock was his level of competition at Boise State which he's seemed to have overcome very quickly. Now the question will be durability as the Bucs lean more and more on him. I was actually a Martin fan over Wilson, but Wilson does have more upside.

Comment

Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
                              Every season we see the hot new draft pick ... most have fairly mundane rookie seasons. Some flash while others completely fall apart. However with David Wilson, are we setting this kid up for failure in our minds? While he was our first round pick, he was the 32nd pick overall and a one dimensional player (albeit with promise) to boot. The unproven second string guy is always the fan favorite because he brings the hope and promise of the next super star to grace our presence but might we be expecting too much out of him this early? From my perspective, I'm thinking that he will show us little more then he's shown us to this point come Monday night and that is an occasional flash book ended by a bunch of non-noteworthy runs. And that's not a knock on the kid ... just a nod to the fact that he is a rookie playing at the highest level there is.
                              There is always a concern to put a player out there before he is ready and he fails, he can start to doubt himself and then back slide.
                              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Working...
                              X