Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giants' Hakeem Nicks Still Out Of Step Following Knee and Foot Injuries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Giants' Hakeem Nicks Still Out Of Step Following Knee and Foot Injuries

    http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...still_out.html

    Excerpt: "The Giants tried the play no less than four times against the Packers last Sunday night.

    The fade route between Eli Manning and Hakeem Nicks has been one of their go-to calls, taking advantage of Nicks’ physical playing style and one-on-one match-ups in the end zone.

    But none of those attempts were completed for a touchdown. One was tipped by the defense, and another may have been a bit out of reach, but offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride used the missed chances as examples of how Nicks — try as he might — is still not at full strength.

    “Still not the same. Not himself, no,” Gilbride said. “He had a couple chances for plays. He would have made those plays easily (if healthy). Easily.”

    Nicks has fought through left knee and right foot injuries that have nagged him all season, missing three games and playing the other eight at less than 100 percent. Each of the past few weeks, the fourth-year receiver has said he feels the best he has felt all season, but Gilbride chuckled knowingly.

    “Doesn’t he tell you that every week?” Gilbride asked. “Is he convincing you, himself or the opposition?”

    But Gilbride appreciates that about Nicks. He has the highest respect for his player’s toughness and his will to be on the field when still hurting.

    “You love the fact that he’s trying,” Gilbride said. “He’s fighting his rear end (off). He refused to accept being hurt, and he knows we’re better when he’s out there, and he’s trying to do everything he can. I admire that and everything else, but he’s not the same guy yet as he was, there’s no question about that.”

    Those missed fade routes underscored that. The first incompletion was the most glaring to Gilbride, because the ball hit Nicks right in the hands.

    In Gilbride’s view, Nicks right now is not used to catching the ball while being jostled — a product of missing most of the spring and summer after fracturing a bone in his foot and really only seeing live action in regular-season games. The knee injury developed in his only 100-yard receiving game of the season, against Tampa Bay in Week 2." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

  • #2
    Gilbride's brilliance- "The fade didnt work the first 5 times, so lets try it again!" PLEASE SEND CRUZ ON A QUICK SLANT IF YOU WANT A TD
    WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
      Gilbride's brilliance- "The fade didnt work the first 5 times, so lets try it again!" PLEASE SEND CRUZ ON A QUICK SLANT IF YOU WANT A TD
      Hey now, if it's broken, keep breaking it until you fix it. Simple logic.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
        Hey now, if it's broken, keep breaking it until you fix it. Simple logic.
        The final decision is Eli's.
        “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
          The final decision is Eli's.
          Yeah but in a fade route or a timing route, Eli has to have confidence that the WR will execute the route before he throws the pass.

          Cruz is being double-teamed and Nicks is still not 100%. We need a healthy Hixon.
          GO JAI-YANTS!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by krygny View Post
            Yeah but in a fade route or a timing route, Eli has to have confidence that the WR will execute the route before he throws the pass. Cruz is being double-teamed and Nicks is still not 100%. We need a healthy Hixon.
            Hixon has been practicing and I hope he's been taking some punts in practice
            “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

            Comment


            • #7
              Randle is actually 2 inches taller and weighs the same as Nicks.,, and he is healthy
              try throwing him the damn fade.
              i don't understand why we don't go to a " tall " spread set in the red zone.....we have the personel.
              due to the fact that I am from the Woodstock generation ...
              my opinions may be chemically enhanced and influenced by severe episodes of memory loss

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
                Gilbride's brilliance- "The fade didnt work the first 5 times, so lets try it again!" PLEASE SEND CRUZ ON A QUICK SLANT IF YOU WANT A TD
                Or leave Nicks in isolation and have him zig in with a low and inside pass from Eli. At a minimum it will help set up the fade down the road.
                No one remembers who came in second.

                Comment


                • #9
                  With the way the game was going against Green Bay, I don't fault them for trying to get Hakeem back into rhythm on the fade. I don't believe you can completely create real game pressure situations in practice.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    They should have Nicks fake the fade and go inside instead. I think they tried to do that on the last play, but Eli's ball was tipped.
                    Mood: WOOF!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                      The final decision is Eli's.
                      well then he needs to stop throwng the fade unless he knows it will have a good chance of a completion...

                      select onther play he and Nicks can hook up on.....
                      "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                      You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        An uninjured Nicks catches 4 of those 5 but yes it should have been aparrent after the first miss that Nicks couldn't get up like usual.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                          They should have Nicks fake the fade and go inside instead. I think they tried to do that on the last play, but Eli's ball was tipped.
                          It would have been a td if it wasn't tipped.


                          Subscribe to me on YouTube: mlerm17
                          Follow me on Twitter @mlerm17

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by GameTime View Post
                            well then he needs to stop throwng the fade unless he knows it will have a good chance of a completion...

                            select onther play he and Nicks can hook up on.....
                            That gets my vote. There is a part of Eli that just wants to make a play, which is admirable, until it backfires I hope ELi is on fire on Monday and the defense does enough to keep feeding the offense the ball

                            Then again, we could always hold our collective breath when Eli takes off on foot and leads with his throwing arm
                            “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                              That gets my vote. There is a part of Eli that just wants to make a play, which is admirable, until it backfires I hope ELi is on fire on Monday and the defense does enough to keep feeding the offense the ball

                              Then again, we could always hold our collective breath when Eli takes off on foot and leads with his throwing arm
                              well the Skins pass D can be taken advantage of and the Giants have the tools to exploit it. There run game only needs to be effective on Monday night. It doesnt need to be stellar....but I hope it is anyway....
                              "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                              You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X