Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RG3: Perfect Play Action

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...t-play-action/

We’ve been touting our new Signature Stat that breaks down the best quarterbacks on Play Action Passes, but it’s now time to take a look at some of the game film behind the best play action passer in the league, Robert Griffin III.

Most quarterbacks see a moderate improvement when using play action, as passing lanes are generally bigger with the defense having to show respect for the run. But in Griffin’s case, the difference is astronomical. His 12.5 yards per attempt when using play action ranks first in the league, while his 5.7 yards per attempt without play action ranks dead last.

Read more from the link...

of course it is because of the option of him running......AND with Morris in the game he has been running great too. Not a surprise there.....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

lol three words: Alfred freaking Morris.

..and what GameTime said.

Comment

Originally posted by TheEnigma View Post
        https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...t-play-action/

We’ve been touting our new Signature Stat that breaks down the best quarterbacks on Play Action Passes, but it’s now time to take a look at some of the game film behind the best play action passer in the league, Robert Griffin III.

Most quarterbacks see a moderate improvement when using play action, as passing lanes are generally bigger with the defense having to show respect for the run. But in Griffin’s case, the difference is astronomical. His 12.5 yards per attempt when using play action ranks first in the league, while his 5.7 yards per attempt without play action ranks dead last.

Read more from the link...
        havent read the article yet but will. but i will say that the stat could be misleading bc washington bases its entire offense on that pistol spread option read...vvirtually every pass is a PA that is predicated on the 1 progression read by RG3. Its such a simplified offense really, which is why its in college and not so much the nfl.
        the reason its worked so well so far is bc nfl defenses havent seen it yet. we'll be the first team to see it a 2nd time and we're the 1rst team to play rg3 twice in the same season. its my contention if they try running that offense, we will have our way with them. it wouldnt surprise me to see a new wrinkle, or to see washington go to another formation look. teams are going to be better prepared to play rg3 after the 1rst time bc they will have seen his quickness and athleticism first hand, u just cant get that from film.

should be interesting but thats my take on it.

Comment

I have noticed how excellent RG3 sells the play action. It truly is what's leading to his success, and like others have said, Alfred Morris.

Comment

w/o the pa, rg3 has a 5.7 ypa which is 32nd ranked. and thats bc so many of his passes are behind the LOS. when they dont do that 1 read pistol spread option PA, he's throwing a high % swing pass behind the LOS with a quick tempo.
            stat isnt impressive imo bc of their offense, rg3 is impressive, not this stat.

Comment

Originally posted by giantsfan420 View Post
              should be interesting but thats my take on it.
              I really like this article because it gives an unbiased analysis on how RG3 has been utilized by the Shanahans so far this season and explains how RG3's skillset is a perfect match for the zone blocking scheme they have utilized since their days in Denver. Alfred Morris is a key cog but it all starts with the QB's mind and threat to run it to the house from almost every play. The end of the article really sums up RG3 at this point in his career.

Comment

I am not one to disect a players stats and what have you....
                Watch RG...the kid is good. I have seen him make plenty of long passes this season. The PS works for Skins O because of his threat to run and Morris'.
                Then again...Eli is 0 threat to run ( maybe now he will though..lol) and his PA works great too........
                "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

I have never seen a Redskins QB sell the fake like RGIII. It's not only causing safeties to stop in their tracks to support the run, but I've lost count of the number of times he's faked out the camera crews. He is also getting much better at looking off receivers. He sold a deep route left against Philly, and connected on a deep route right.

Comment

RG III is the real deal. The genuine article. This guy is no Michael Vick. He's better than Vick at everything. Bigger, faster, a better passer and smarter.

RG III represents the biggest threat to the Giants in the NFC East for the next 10-15 years. So much of a threat that the Giants will have to build a defensive scheme to counter that specific threat. And draft defensive players who can fit into that scheme.

The only saving grace is that he plays for the Washington Foreskins, which is still the most screwed up organization in the NFL after the NY Jets. So, there is that.

Comment

and so the annointing oil flows for another rookie. Good thing there is an unlimited supply with the way the media and some fans use it.

Comment

Originally posted by AustinSkin View Post
                        I have never seen a Redskins QB sell the fake like RGIII. It's not only causing safeties to stop in their tracks to support the run, but I've lost count of the number of times he's faked out the camera crews. He is also getting much better at looking off receivers. He sold a deep route left against Philly, and connected on a deep route right.
                        lol I've see him fake to the side that the running back wasn't even on before. Not exaclty flawless, but yeah, when you can run like he does, plus the fact that they operate a very balanced offense, it makes his PA effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty192 View Post
                          lol I've see him fake to the side that the running back wasn't even on before. Not exaclty flawless, but yeah, when you can run like he does, plus the fact that they operate a very balanced offense, it makes his PA effective.
                          +1 a great run game like theirs makes play action extremely effective.

But if we can stop the run...
                          Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Originally posted by Dwinsballgames View Post
                            and so the annointing oil flows for another rookie. Good thing there is an unlimited supply with the way the media and some fans use it.
                            It's not really a Pro-RG3 article but the title does make it seem that way.

Comment

So how do you really stop RG3 to make him actually have a bad game? If you don't bite on the play action he doesn't find anyone open he can kill you with his legs. You bite on the play action and he'll burn you deep. I've lost count on how many times the redskin's receivers have been caught WIDE open.

RG3 is what Michael Vick was suppose to be. RG3 is also only going to get better which really has me worried, no lie.

Comment

Working...
                              X