Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Great Giants Era

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Great Giants Era

    I remember once listening to an interview with Wellington Mara in the early 90s who was discussing his hopes and direction for the Giants. He said "I want the Giants to be relevant in December". This wouldn't be a popular quote today, but at the time and in the way it was meant, was that he always wanted to be one of the handful of teams that are jockeying for position and seed in the coming playoffs.

    He would have loved this team.

    Cherish these times ... it's a great era to be a Giants fan
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

  • #2
    Originally posted by Kruunch View Post
    I remember once listening to an interview with Wellington Mara in the early 90s who was discussing his hopes and direction for the Giants. He said "I want the Giants to be relevant in December". This wouldn't be a popular quote today, but at the time and in the way it was meant, was that he always wanted to be one of the handful of teams that are jockeying for position and seed in the coming playoffs.

    He would have loved this team.

    Cherish these times ... it's a great era to be a Giants fan
    In this day and age, that's all you can ask for and it's all GM's strive to do. Home field advantage these days doesn't mean a whole lot.
    http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
    http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

    Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

    Comment


    • #3
      It's too bad he died before getting to see Eli outplay the "best QB in the NFL"... twice.

      I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
        It's too bad he died before getting to see Eli outplay the "best QB in the NFL"... twice.
        +1
        I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
          It's too bad he died before getting to see Eli outplay the "best QB in the NFL"... twice.
          You can say three times counting the regular season game last year.
          Mood: WOOF!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by gumby74 View Post
            In this day and age, that's all you can ask for and it's all GM's strive to do. Home field advantage these days doesn't mean a whole lot.
            Very true. However, this season (prior to yesterday's games) has seen the best home field advantage in years... At ~54% win percentage, lol.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by gumby74 View Post
              In this day and age, that's all you can ask for and it's all GM's strive to do. Home field advantage these days doesn't mean a whole lot.
              For the Giants. Ask a Seahawks or Falcons fan about that.
              WE ALREADY HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BACK:

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
                For the Giants. Ask a Seahawks or Falcons fan about that.
                Didn't matter much for the Falcons a couple of years ago. Just ask the Packers
                I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Don't worry, Mrs Mara is certainly enjoying all of this. Oh, and Wellington is watching over us, don't you worry. Everytime I see a catch like Manningham's or Tyree's, that might be Wellington smiling on the GMEN!!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Medisleman View Post
                    Don't worry, Mrs Mara is certainly enjoying all of this. Oh, and Wellington is watching over us, don't you worry. Everytime I see a catch like Manningham's or Tyree's, that might be Wellington smiling on the GMEN!!!!
                    This.....I was going to say....He saw it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      brings a tear to my eye
                      I miss Red Hook

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Drez View Post
                        Very true. However, this season (prior to yesterday's games) has seen the best home field advantage in years... At ~54% win percentage, lol.
                        The thing is, in football, HFA only affects which team the crowd is largely going to pull for. It's not like in baseball where there's a concrete advantage (if the home team is ahead in the 9th inning they automatically win). Now if the coin toss rule was changed so that the home team was just given the choice to receive or defer at kickoff (except for OT of course), then HFA would be something.

                        I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
                          It's not like in baseball where there's a concrete advantage (if the home team is ahead in the 9th inning they automatically win)
                          How does that make a concrete advantage? That is the case because in baseball you can't score on defense. If the home team is winning after the visiting team has had its 9 chances then the 9th chance for the home team is simply not necessary. That's like saying they should play 5th, 6th, & 7th games in a 7 game series even if one team won the first 4.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Medisleman View Post
                            Don't worry, Mrs Mara is certainly enjoying all of this. Oh, and Wellington is watching over us, don't you worry. Everytime I see a catch like Manningham's or Tyree's, that might be Wellington smiling on the GMEN!!!!
                            Mr. Wellington Mara loved the Giants too much not to take a peek once in awhile.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ebick View Post
                              How does that make a concrete advantage? That is the case because in baseball you can't score on defense. If the home team is winning after the visiting team has had its 9 chances then the 9th chance for the home team is simply not necessary. That's like saying they should play 5th, 6th, & 7th games in a 7 game series even if one team won the first 4.
                              You have to look at it from a defender's perspective. If the visiting team gains a lead in the 9th inning, they have to hold on to it for the home team's 9th try. If the home team gains a lead in the 9th, they automatically win. Also, in extra innings, the same deal happens in that the home team merely has to gain a lead while the visiting team has to gain a lead and then defend it. So it's sudden death from the 9th inning onward for one side, but not the other. Away team always has to play through the inning.
                              Last edited by Toadofsteel; 12-03-2012, 06:05 PM.

                              I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X