Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One problem about David Wilson

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Rusty192 View Post
    You've just stated the problem. We can't make a fair assessment from him getting 3 carries a game.
    He's never really had excellent vision though going back to his days at VT. I'll say this much to be fair and that is I've seen him do a good job on not dancing in the backfield too much compared to how much he did it back in college since he could get away with it against those defenses.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by TheEnigma View Post
      He's never really had excellent vision though going back to his days at VT. I'll say this much to be fair and that is I've seen him do a good job on not dancing in the backfield too much compared to how much he did it back in college since he could get away with it against those defenses.
      He looked really good in the preseason when he was featured. I encourage people to go and watch those games.

      We have to let the guy get into a rhythm. Right now he's averaging 2 carries a game. Plus the defense knows he's getting the ball basically every time.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Rusty192 View Post
        He looked really good in the preseason when he was featured. I encourage people to go and watch those games.

        We have to let the guy get into a rhythm. Right now he's averaging 2 carries a game. Plus the defense knows he's getting the ball basically every time.
        He did have a nice game against the Bears in the preseason but I haven't really been too impressed with him outside of that. There has been a few carries where he has run into the back of our own linemen and that is an issue of vision.

        We do need to utilize him more on PA passes though since when we did it once against the Redskins, the safeties bit on the run. Unfortunately, we weren't able to connect on the pass.

        Comment


        • I don't see this has a year where fans are going to be impressed by Wilson. He never is played. So what tiny bit they see, they make a snap judgment.

          Hopefully next season he'll get some serious playing time with Bradshaw getting older.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
            You're going to have to do better than that unless it's just your opinion.
            Ok, out of curiosity I went through and looked at the rookie season of every running back drafted in the first round since 2004.
            Excluding the players who suffered injury-shortened seasons, David Wilson is currently on pace to be the most under-utilised 1st-round running back drafted through that period.

            att = rushing attempts
            games = games played
            Code:
            Steven Jackson      134 att        3 starts    14 games        673 yds     4 TDs
            Chris Perry           2 att        0 starts     2 games          1 yd
            Kevin Jones         241 att       14 starts    15 games       1133 yds     5 TDs   
            Ronnie Brown        207 att       14 starts    15 games        904 yds     4 TDs
            Cedric Benson        67 att        1 start      9 games        272 yds
            Cadillac Williams   290 att       14 starts    14 games       1178 yds     6 TDs
            Reggie Bush         155 att        8 starts    16 games        565 yds     6 TDs
            Laurence Maroney    175 att        0 starts    14 games        745 yds     6 TDs
            DeAngelo Williams   121 att        2 starts    13 game         501 yds     1 TD
            Joseph Addai        226 att        0 starts    16 games       1081 yds     7 TDs
            Adrian Peterson     238 att        9 starts    14 games       1341 yds    12 TDs
            Marshawn Lynch      280 att       13 starts    13 games       1115 yds     7 TDs
            Darren McFadden     113 att        5 starts    13 games        499 yds     4 TDs
            Jonathan Stewart    184 att        0 starts    16 games        836 yds    10 TDs
            Felix Jones          30 att        0 starts     6 games        266 yds     3 TDs
            Rashard Mendenhall   19 att        1 start      4 games         58 yds
            Chris Johnson       251 att       14 starts    15 games       1228 yds     9 TDs
            Knowshon Moreno     247 att        9 starts    16 games        947 yds     7 TDs
            Donald Brown         78 att        1 start     11 games        281 yds     3 TDs
            Beanie Wells        176 att        0 starts    16 games        793 yds     7 TDs
            CJ Spiller           74 att        1 start     14 games        283 yds
            Jahvid Best         171 att        9 starts    14 games        555 yds     4 TDs
            Mark Ingram         122 att        4 starts    10 games        474 yds     5 TDs
            Trent Richardson    229 att       12 starts    12 games        827 yds     7 TDs
            Doug Martin         236 att       12 starts    12 games       1106 yds     9 TDs
            David Wilson         28 att        0 starts    12 games        111 yds     1 TD
            So basically, no, the Giants' treatment of Wilson is not normal.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Imgrate View Post
              again. The point is, that you don't use first round picks on running backs that aren't ready to play offense their rookie year. a first round pick on a rb that contributes on 6 plays a game is terrible value.
              OK
              “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

              Comment


              • Originally posted by TheEnigma View Post
                He did have a nice game against the Bears in the preseason but I haven't really been too impressed with him outside of that. There has been a few carries where he has run into the back of our own linemen and that is an issue of vision.

                We do need to utilize him more on PA passes though since when we did it once against the Redskins, the safeties bit on the run. Unfortunately, we weren't able to connect on the pass.
                you should be less impressed with the coaching staffs use of wilson,,they are not playing to his strengths,,,,we need to use him like Philly uses shady,,,screen passes and more misdirection,,let him use his speed and elusiveness in the open field..this kid is not a hand it off up the middle guy, plain and simple. plus 4 carries? I dont care who is evaluating him, you can not evaluate on such a microscopic body of work. this kid will be tiki barber 2.0 when it is all said and done..I can feel it.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Flip Empty View Post
                  Ok, out of curiosity I went through and looked at the rookie season of every running back drafted in the first round since 2004.
                  Excluding the players who suffered injury-shortened seasons, David Wilson is currently on pace to be the most under-utilised 1st-round running back drafted through that period.

                  att = rushing attempts
                  games = games played
                  Code:
                  Steven Jackson      134 att        3 starts    14 games        673 yds     4 TDs
                  Chris Perry           2 att        0 starts     2 games          1 yd
                  Kevin Jones         241 att       14 starts    15 games       1133 yds     5 TDs   
                  Ronnie Brown        207 att       14 starts    15 games        904 yds     4 TDs
                  Cedric Benson        67 att        1 start      9 games        272 yds
                  Cadillac Williams   290 att       14 starts    14 games       1178 yds     6 TDs
                  Reggie Bush         155 att        8 starts    16 games        565 yds     6 TDs
                  Laurence Maroney    175 att        0 starts    14 games        745 yds     6 TDs
                  DeAngelo Williams   121 att        2 starts    13 game         501 yds     1 TD
                  Joseph Addai        226 att        0 starts    16 games       1081 yds     7 TDs
                  Adrian Peterson     238 att        9 starts    14 games       1341 yds    12 TDs
                  Marshawn Lynch      280 att       13 starts    13 games       1115 yds     7 TDs
                  Darren McFadden     113 att        5 starts    13 games        499 yds     4 TDs
                  Jonathan Stewart    184 att        0 starts    16 games        836 yds    10 TDs
                  Felix Jones          30 att        0 starts     6 games        266 yds     3 TDs
                  Rashard Mendenhall   19 att        1 start      4 games         58 yds
                  Chris Johnson       251 att       14 starts    15 games       1228 yds     9 TDs
                  Knowshon Moreno     247 att        9 starts    16 games        947 yds     7 TDs
                  Donald Brown         78 att        1 start     11 games        281 yds     3 TDs
                  Beanie Wells        176 att        0 starts    16 games        793 yds     7 TDs
                  CJ Spiller           74 att        1 start     14 games        283 yds
                  Jahvid Best         171 att        9 starts    14 games        555 yds     4 TDs
                  Mark Ingram         122 att        4 starts    10 games        474 yds     5 TDs
                  Trent Richardson    229 att       12 starts    12 games        827 yds     7 TDs
                  Doug Martin         236 att       12 starts    12 games       1106 yds     9 TDs
                  David Wilson         28 att        0 starts    12 games        111 yds     1 TD
                  So basically, no, the Giants' treatment of Wilson is not normal.

                  It's normal for the Giants
                  “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                    OK
                    not the kids fault the coaching staff just does not play rookies like that,,never have. you guys need to relax,,if we were 9-3 nobody would even be talking about him like this,,it's just one more than to b*tch about. the entire team should be ashamed.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                      It's normal for the Giants
                      roanoke,,you are one of the more knowledgable posters on this board, you get it,,,,,some people will just never be happy.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by ELI_HOF_NYG View Post
                        you should be less impressed with the coaching staffs use of wilson,,they are not playing to his strengths,,,,we need to use him like Philly uses shady,,,screen passes and more misdirection,,let him use his speed and elusiveness in the open field..this kid is not a hand it off up the middle guy, plain and simple. plus 4 carries? I dont care who is evaluating him, you can not evaluate on such a microscopic body of work. this kid will be tiki barber 2.0 when it is all said and done..I can feel it.
                        And that goes back to an earlier point I've made before: If the coaching staff isn't utilizing him properly because he doesn't fit our scheme, then why did we feel the need to draft Wilson with our 1st when we could of taken someone else and then drafted another RB later on who fit the NYG scheme? Considering we find great success (and lots of other teams as well) with later round backs, it was an unusual draft move by Reese.

                        Also, I'm going off of what we've seen him do in VT combined with his time here in NY and that's a big enough sample size to in fact say that his vision is not what you desire out of a 1st round selection. It can be fixed though but the question is when will he get it?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by TheEnigma View Post
                          And that goes back to an earlier point I've made before: If the coaching staff isn't utilizing him properly because he doesn't fit our scheme, then why did we feel the need to draft Wilson with our 1st when we could of taken someone else and then drafted another RB later on who fit the NYG scheme? Considering we find great success (and lots of other teams as well) with later round backs, it was an unusual draft move by Reese.

                          Also, I'm going off of what we've seen him do in VT combined with his time here in NY and that's a big enough sample size to in fact say that his vision is not what you desire out of a 1st round selection. It can be fixed though but the question is when will he get it?
                          why does everyone say he doesn't get it,,,has that been documented? doug martin is playing because they have nobody else. the giants draft and develop well so we are never really in that position to force a kid into duty,,,this kid will be fine,,tiki wasnt so great when he first came up,,,the problem is the undying loyalty to bradshaw and the fact that this team just does not play rookies historically,,1st round or 7th round. plus,,plenty of players were mediocre in college and studs in the NFl and vice versa,,so I dont put much stock into his college days,,I think everybody is really frustrated and looking to vent on anyone and everyone,,remember what was said about prince? many of the same things,,now look at him,,he is on his way to being a legit top 10 corner,,have some patience,,,the kid will pan out.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by ELI_HOF_NYG View Post
                            not the kids fault the coaching staff just does not play rookies like that,,never have. you guys need to relax,,if we were 9-3 nobody would even be talking about him like this,,it's just one more than to b*tch about. the entire team should be ashamed.
                            Nicks, jpp Ross kp all played significantly more snaps. All of them play a position that is harder to transition to the pros than rb...But, let's assume you are correct and we don't play rookies, then we should've drafted a player that plays a position worth investing in. guys like cordy Glenn, Andre branch, Kendall Reyes

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Imgrate View Post
                              Nicks, jpp Ross kp all played significantly more snaps. All of them play a position that is harder to transition to the pros than rb...But, let's assume you are correct and we don't play rookies, then we should've drafted a player that plays a position worth investing in. guys like cordy Glenn, Andre branch, Kendall Reyes
                              its just how the giants roll,,like refusing to move up in the draft to get a stud,,we just dont do it. if we didnt have bradshaw this kid would have gotten significant snaps by mid season. we can question the giants draft stratedgy all we want but we have won 2 super bowls in the past 5 years so I have faith in the fact that they know what they are doing.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by ELI_HOF_NYG View Post
                                why does everyone say he doesn't get it,,,has that been documented? doug martin is playing because they have nobody else. the giants draft and develop well so we are never really in that position to force a kid into duty,,,this kid will be fine,,tiki wasnt so great when he first came up,,,the problem is the undying loyalty to bradshaw and the fact that this team just does not play rookies historically,,1st round or 7th round. plus,,plenty of players were mediocre in college and studs in the NFl and vice versa,,so I dont put much stock into his college days,,I think everybody is really frustrated and looking to vent on anyone and everyone,,remember what was said about prince? many of the same things,,now look at him,,he is on his way to being a legit top 10 corner,,have some patience,,,the kid will pan out.
                                Doug Martin overtook LeGarrette Blount who did rush for 1k yards in his rookie season so it's not like TB had nothing there before. The issue with Blount was his lack of pass blocking ability which Martin came into the NFL having some prior experience (but it wasn't perfect). What I mean by "he doesn't get it" is that he hasn't displayed the proper skillset to be a feature back like Bradshaw has. The pass blocking obviously isn't there due to the low amount of snaps and on some of his very limited carries, he hasn't displayed the vision to be the type of RB the Giants like. I promise you there is no frustration from the Skins loss that factors into my Wilson evaluation. I'm just being honest in with what I see.

                                I'm not sure where you see the similarities in Tiki and Wilson unless you are just saying that because they both have been Giants. Shady or CJ Spiller would be a more appropriate comparison but the problem is that our scheme isn't really fit for those kind of RBs.

                                Prince also isn't a good comparison because he was injured for half of the season and there was no way we were going to put a rookie CB out in that stretch of games that featured the Packers and Saints. Plus, as pointed out before, the two positions are so different and the development time usually takes longer for defensive backs in the modern NFL.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X