memo to the david wilson haters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    The sad thing is that aside from a couple rookie mistakes (really the only thing that comes to mind is when he didn't turn around to catch a pass in the flat) I didn't think Wilson had done enough to be removed. He was still better than 3 straight draws to Lumpkin...
    I agree.

Frankly, I'm not going to blame the guy we drafted.......if anything, I think the General Manager and the Coaches should have a conversation on matching players and schemes.

When they drafted Wilson, I had this crazy thought in my head that they'd be handing him the ball and asking him to run. Nowhere in the scouting report did I see that he'd be able to completely stonewall a blitzing linebacker for the 5 seconds required to hit one of Gilbride's home run pass routes.
    "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

"Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

Comment

• for gumby's sake. Wilson is a rookie and was 3rd on the depth chart coming in. Martin was #1 or #2 coming in. Of course he was going to get more playing time.
      http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
      http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
      http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

• Originally posted by gumby74 View Post
        for gumby's sake. Wilson is a rookie and was 3rd on the depth chart coming in. Martin was #1 or #2 coming in. Of course he was going to get more playing time.
        So was Bradshaw in his rookie year and he helped the Giants win the Super Bowl in 2007.....Wilson is just a faster Ron Dayne....another 1st round RB failure for the Giants.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hooligans View Post
          So was Bradshaw in his rookie year and he helped the Giants win the Super Bowl in 2007.....Wilson is just a faster Ron Dayne....another 1st round RB failure for the Giants.
          lol. you need to do a better job trolling. it's far too obvious.
          http://boards.giants.com/showthread....est-game/page6
          http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2554_A_brief,_fact-filled_history_of_the_NFL_passing_game.html
          http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8732732/is-new-york-giants-qb-eli-manning-worthy-hall-fame-espn-magazine

Entire Team Let Eli down today - NYG4l

Comment

• If blitz pickup on 3rd and long is the issue, then motion him out to the slot and make him the hot, short read. I'd love to see a linebacker cover him. Right now his blitz pickup is probably better than Diehl's.

Comment

And yet Dayne played 16 games his rookie year.
              At this rate, Wilson will need 8 more years to play the same number of games.
              I guess we will know then.

Comment

I think you are taking a bit too far here. From what we have seen so far Wislon has accomplished far more the little playing time he got than Ron Dayne did his entire NFL career. Coughlin has never given enough time to WIlson to really see what he can do and if he can carry the full load of an entire game. Let's give the kid a break and lay the blame where it belongs. The larger questions are why did they drafted him in the first round and why are they not using his skills other than in punt returns. Keeping a guy in the sidelines and using him 2-3 times in a game is not going to tell you alot. But then again looking at our coaching staff, I am not expecting anything useful out of those fools.

Comment

• Originally posted by giantsforce View Post
                  I think you are taking a bit too far here. From what we have seen so far Wislon has accomplished far more the little playing time he got than Ron Dayne did his entire NFL career. Coughlin has never given enough time to WIlson to really see what he can do and if he can carry the full load of an entire game. Let's give the kid a break and lay the blame where it belongs. The larger questions are why did they drafted him in the first round and why are they not using his skills other than in punt returns. Keeping a guy in the sidelines and using him 2-3 times in a game is not going to tell you alot. But then again looking at our coaching staff, I am not expecting anything useful out of those fools.
                  That is exactly what all the Dayne supporters used to say.....they all blamed the Giants for not giving Dayne more carries......the reason Dayne (and now Wilson) didn't get more carries is because he sucked. Same is true for Wilson - my mother blocks better than Wilson does right now, and if he can't do it this late in the season, he will NEVER be any good at it. Fact is the Giants again screwed up and picked another bust at RB in the first round.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zaggs View Post
                    If blitz pickup on 3rd and long is the issue, then motion him out to the slot and make him the hot, short read. I'd love to see a linebacker cover him. Right now his blitz pickup is probably better than Diehl's.
                    Gilbride is far too stubborn to change his approach. God forbid we force the defense to adjust to the offense.

In Gilbride's Magic Kingdom, running backs are pass protectors.

Jim Brown wouldn't have a role in Gilbride's scheme.
                    "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

"Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

Comment

That is exactly what all the Dayne supporters used to say.....they all blamed the Giants for not giving Dayne more carries......the reason Dayne (and now Wilson) didn't get more carries is because he sucked. Same is true for Wilson - my mother blocks better than Wilson does right now, and if he can't do it this late in the season, he will NEVER be any good at it. Fact is the Giants again screwed up and picked another bust at RB in the first round.
                      What the heck are you talking about, Dayne got 228 attempts his rookie year............
                      (compare that with Bradshaw @ 196 this year)
                      Wilson, 53 attempts so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by OX1 View Post
                        What the heck are you talking about, Dayne got 228 attempts his rookie year............
                        Facts are hard to argue against. But then again certain people here do not bother with facts. They just have formed an opinion and damned be the facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by OX1 View Post
                          his lack of carries is definitely a bid ridiculous

but I think the surprise resurgence of Andre Brown for those couple games robbed him of some carries

other than that ...there really is no excuse

especially when Bradshaw is missing practice every week and Wilson is getting practice touches

Comment

• Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
                            his lack of carries is definitely a bid ridiculous

but I think the surprise resurgence of Andre Brown for those couple games robbed him of some carries

other than that ...there really is no excuse

especially when Bradshaw is missing practice every week and Wilson is getting practice touches
                            Just one question to clarify some confusion: Is this an execution problem or a coaching problem?

Comment

• Originally posted by gumby74 View Post
                              for gumby's sake. Wilson is a rookie and was 3rd on the depth chart coming in. Martin was #1 or #2 coming in. Of course he was going to get more playing time.
                              Wilson came into about as good a situation to get some carries as u could ask for.. I mean, he had nothing but a brittle Ahmad Bradshaw in front of em, and a journey man injury prone RB who was in his 2nd stint with Giants in front of em! What more can u ask for?

He was the first RB in for Ahmad opening weekend, which means he was not 3rd on the depth chart,. but moved down that depth chart... Hes gotta do better and make sure he stays on the field, which means, hes gotta produce with his carries and also block well and make coughlin keep em out there!

Comment

Working...
                              X