Thoughts on David Baas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on David Baas?

This guy didn't have a stellar first year, SB run aside. The oline has struggled this year in the run game but generally speaking, has been better than last year.

David Baas seems have started to gel with the team. His pass protection is solid. His run blocking is coming along. Our bigger free agents seem to have slow first years (Rolle, Canty, Boley, etc ...) but pick it up and this appears no different now.

What are your thoughts?
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

I'd still want someone younger in the position... someone drafted early.

The only knock I have on JR is that he refuses to draft o-line before the 4th round...

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

I don't understand why people are suprised or pessimistic when new players don't have fantastic first seasons. It takes time to learn a playbook. This goes for rookies too.

Usually big name free agents are filling a hole so they have to learn the playbook the hard way (on the field). Mistakes will happen.

The other option would be for coaches to dumb down their schemes for the new players (like we did for Boss in 07), but this has disadvantages too.

Comment

Baas is playing at a serviceable level, finally. But with that said, after this season I think Reese needs to "nuke" the offensive line.

The reasons I feel that way:

1. Our offensive line is below average on a good day. Run blocking especially.
        2. Payroll for the Giants offensive line is way above average. Aside from Kevin Boothe, most of these guys are getting paid like Pro-Bowlers.

We are wasting precious cap space on a group of guys that are seriously under-performing.

Comment

Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post

The only knock I have on JR is that he refuses to draft o-line before the 4th round...
          I don't think he refuses this at all. He is going to draft value above need if at all possible so that's just how it worked out. Also, Beatty was drafted round 2.

Comment

Originally posted by PBTimmons View Post
            Baas is playing at a serviceable level, finally. But with that said, after this season I think Reese needs to "nuke" the offensive line. The reasons I feel that way: 1. Our offensive line is below average on a good day. Run blocking especially. 2. Payroll for the Giants offensive line is way above average. Aside from Kevin Boothe, most of these guys are getting paid like Pro-Bowlers. We are wasting precious cap space on a group of guys that are seriously under-performing.
            That would really be uncharacteristic of the organization. They build on continuity and player development.
            “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
              That would really be uncharacteristic of the organization. They build on continuity and player development.
              I would* be surprised if Reese doesn't ask Baas to take a pay cut or walk after this season. Same goes for Diehl, either he plays for toast or he IS toast.

These guys will take up 6.5 million each in cap space next season.

[edit]
              Last edited by PBTimmons; 12-12-2012, 10:20 AM.

Comment

I think we are ok on the line with the exception of right tackle.

Comment

ehh...the line is doing ok but is inconsistent like the rest of the team.
                  "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                  You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

I think Beatty was 2nd round, but I agree, next year the offensive line needs to be addressed early....within rounds 1-3.

Most recently, I think Reese wasted that pick on Jernigan....it was like he was forcing a correction on his Sinorice Moss pick by replacing him with Jernigan.

The Giants have a QB in his prime, surrounded by young receivers, and if Wilson continues to develop, this offense is basically begging for the offensive line to be restocked.

I think it was Parcells who said he was always shocked by how quickly a player can go from NFL-capable to over the hill. The point is the Giants can't just wait for players to be past their prime.....they need guys who are pushing the veterans right now, not a few years down the road.....and this goes for pretty much everyone on the offensive line right now.
                    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 12-12-2012, 10:35 AM.
                    "I like linebackers. I collect 'em. You can't have too many good ones." - Bill Parcells

"Name the starting linebackers from 2007." - Jerry Reese

Comment

Baas has been quite average this year. Everyone saying how bad the line is don't know what they're talking about. While they haven't been the 9ers they've been more than adequate both passing and running. Beatty is having a fine season after an injury plagued 2011. Boothe has been nothing if not solid, while also providing the versatility to play centre if need be. While snee is not the player he used to be, he has rebounded quite nicely after a mediocre 2011 campaign. Locklear has been very steady in pass pro in limited action. And while everyone's boy dave diehl isn't about to go the pro bowl this year, he's been more than serviceable at RT, limiting the amount of pressure he gives up.

Comment

I would* be surprised if Reese doesn't ask Baas to take a pay cut or walk after this season. Same goes for Diehl, either he plays for toast or he IS toast.

These guys will take up 6.5 million each in cap space next season.

[edit]
                        Baas isn't going anywhere, the cap hit would be to large. Same with Diehl.

Comment

We overpaid for him. He is average at best. He really is pushed back too often. As I have been saying for the past few years, we need an overhaul of youth at the Oline.
                          Life is like a Giants game, you never know what you are going to get.

Comment

Baas is playing at a serviceable level, finally. But with that said, after this season I think Reese needs to "nuke" the offensive line.

The reasons I feel that way:

1. Our offensive line is below average on a good day. Run blocking especially.
                            2. Payroll for the Giants offensive line is way above average. Aside from Kevin Boothe, most of these guys are getting paid like Pro-Bowlers.

We are wasting precious cap space on a group of guys that are seriously under-performing.
                            Except that we are exactly average in the run game (ranked 15th) and way WAY above average in pass protection (Eli is one of the least sacked QBs in the NFL and we have the highest amount of red zone trips in the NFL this year).
                            I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Comment

Beatty and Snee were both second rounders.

Comment

Working...
                              X