This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DID YOU KNOW??

Just a general question- Lombardi is known to have come up with those offensive schemes with the Packers of the 60s...

Is this something that was being done with the Giants of the 50s??? I know you guys were a good running team back then...

I have never heard too much of Lombardi with the Giants...

Comment

[quote user="patsrule666"]

Just a general question- Lombardi is known to have come up with those offensive schemes with the Packers of the 60s...

Is this something that was being done with the Giants of the 50s??? I know you guys were a good running team back then...

I have never heard too much of Lombardi with the Giants...

[/quote]
      yes most of those schemes and plays he was running with Jim Taylor and Paul Hornung were built with Gifford and Webster running them.
      Lombardis heart was always with the Giants and did everything he could to get out of his contract with the Packers when he heard Jim Lee Howell was retiring from the Giants but he couldn't get out and we got stuck with Allie Sherman who destroyed the team from the inside in years to come.
      who knows what could have been with Lombardi as coach in the 60s. He would have never got rid of Huff and Modelewski and all those guys like Sherman did saying they were "getting old"

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"]Can't figure out the Mo/Huff question. Mo was drafted by the Redskins and Huff was traded to the Redskins. Mo ended up at Cleveland and retired there,and Huff retired a Redskin.... so, I can't figure out the answer.[/quote]
        I may have worded the question in a confusing way.....
        both Huff and Mo were at Modzelewskis' restaurant in Cleveland when they received the phone call that they were traded from the Giants. quite a few months apart though I believe.
        Huff later joked with other players not to go there cus they might get traded.

Comment

what does the Y.A. in Y.A.Tittle stand for?

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"]what does the Y.A. in Y.A.Tittle stand for?
            [/quote]

Yelberton Abraham? Have a laugh on me if the first one is wrong[]

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="zimonami"]Can't figure out the Mo/Huff question. Mo was drafted by the Redskins and Huff was traded to the Redskins. Mo ended up at Cleveland and retired there,and Huff retired a Redskin.... so, I can't figure out the answer.[/quote]
              I may have worded the question in a confusing way.....
              both Huff and Mo were at Modzelewskis' restaurant in Cleveland when they received the phone call that they were traded from the Giants. quite a few months apart though I believe.
              Huff later joked with other players not to go there cus they might get traded.
              [/quote]

OH.... Thank you. That is a coincidence, and a fun piece of trivia..

SEC already beat me to Yelberton Abraham, so I'll await another question, if you're game.

Comment

Oft injured Tucker Fredrickson... played 6 seasons with Giants.

How many seasons did he play in all 14 games?

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"]

Oft injured Tucker Fredrickson... played 6 seasons with Giants.

How many seasons did he play in all 14 games?

[/quote]

1?

What was Homer Jones number [on the Giants]

Comment

Tucker played the full season in his 3rd and 5th yrs. He also caught 40 passes out of the backfield in his 5th year. Too bad he had so many injuries.

Homer had the, unusual for a WR,No. 45 and started the 'spike'

Comment

LT was making a big name for himself in his rookie year. Another rookie QB, starting for his team,came to Giant Stadium to play the Giants. On his first play from scrimmage he stood over center, looked to his left, and saw LT lined up outside his Left tackle, ready to come. The rookie QB realized no one was assigned to block him and, with genuine fear in his eyes (I saw it. Lt was in a line between the QB and me.) he stood and called Timeout and ran to the sidelines for another play. Who was that scared rookie QB?

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"]

LT was making a big name for himself in his rookie year. Another rookie QB, starting for his team,came to Giant Stadium to play the Giants. On his first play from scrimmage he stood over center, looked to his left, and saw LT lined up outside his Left tackle, ready to come. The rookie QB realized no one was assigned to block him and, with genuine fear in his eyes (I saw it. Lt was in a line between the QB and me.) he stood and called Timeout and ran to the sidelines for another play. Who was that scared rookie QB?

[/quote]

just a guess..
                        Neil Lomax?

Chuck Mercein only broke 100 yards rushing in one season of his career.
                        what season was it?

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="zimonami"]

[/quote]

just a guess..
                          Neil Lomax?

what season was it?
                          [/quote]

I'll guess 1963.

No kidding, YA, I sit at the 37 yd line, 19 rows up. At the angle I was on, LT was directly between Lomax and me. I could see true fear when he saw LT up on the line, the red light on his helmet was revving, and Lomax near craopped in his pants when he looked left. LT owned him that whole game.

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="zimonami"]

[/quote]

just a guess..
                            Neil Lomax?

what season was it?
                            [/quote]

I'll guess 1963.

No kidding, YA, I sit at the 37 yd line, 19 rows up. At the angle I was on, LT was directly between Lomax and me. I could see true fear when he saw LT up on the line, the red light on his helmet was revving, and Lomax near craopped in his pants when he looked left. LT owned him that whole game.

[/quote]

thats awesome.
                            did Lomax play the whole game?
                            I was at lots of games where LT owned Jaworski all day.
                            he was frightening in those days.
                            Ron never looked scared though he just looked like he had no clue LT was coming
                            poor Ron took so many beatings.

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="zimonami"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="zimonami"]

[/quote]

just a guess..
                              Neil Lomax?

what season was it?
                              [/quote]

I'll guess 1963.

[/quote]

thats awesome.
                              did Lomax play the whole game?
                              I was at lots of games where LT owned Jaworski all day.
                              he was frightening in those days.
                              Ron never looked scared though he just looked like he had no clue LT was coming
                              poor Ron took so many beatings.
                              [/quote]

I can't remember if Lomax finished the game. I remember we crushed them that day. LT sacked Lomax 2X and hit him probaly 6 other times as he was releasing the ball. LT was jabbering at him non-stop. It was funny, but I think it also was bad for Lomax's confidance. That was a year ('81) they didn't count sacks.

Comment

geez, just remembered Mercein was drafted in '65, along with Tucker and Koy. 1963? Yeah, good guess. He was a junior at Yale that year.

Who was drafted first, Mercein or Koy?

Comment

Working...
                                X