This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DID YOU KNOW??

[quote user="byron"][quote user="zimonami"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="zimonami"][quote user="byron"]

YA or anyone I posted this Q in another thread should have posted here anyway. Ihavean early memory of Tittle all I remember was that he took a beating in the gameand had a bloodyface about all I remember . I tryed research the famouspic of him with blood on his face but could not find a date of when the pic was taken. Any way I am 56 I been watching the giantsas long ascan remember. Just wonderwhat you know of the pic or the game. thanks

byron

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that was '64... Tittle's last year, in a home game against Pittsburgh. We were crushed, and Tittle was crushed. Those were the days when someone could hit the QB long after he released the ball. Tittle was being brutalized the whole game... picking himself up and barely making it back to the huddle, or to the sidelines. He'd wipe off the blood andslowly trotback in for another series. I don't think he finished the game... I think Gary Woods came in for him. It was sad to see... the old, balding warrior with more guts than you'll ever find.

[/quote]
    the man speaks the truth
    John Baker Pittsburgh D end came in and blind sided ole Y.A.
    that pretty much ended his career.

Y.A. Tittle was my absolute favorite Giant and always will be.
    He was what excited me about football.
    he had very few bad games.
    the Giants didn't have much Defense at times
    but Tittle always put up the points and was great to watch.

[/quote]

TY for the John Baker info, YA. I couldn't remember his name, but I'll never forget the brutal hit. I was 18 then, and screaming my asp off for someone on the Giants to get even. That was a bad, sad day, and a bad, sad year... started the slide that we'll never forget, and every year I hated Allie more and more for ruining our once proud franchise.

[/quote] Thanks a lot guys I was 13 at the time and through it was pretty muchput end of his career. It was sad they put the camera on him at some point in the game and it has stuck with me all these years. Another one is the gifford hit and injury its all i remember of the game and being very sad when it happened. Lot of bad years for sure I remember having hope when Ray Perkins took over , and then he left after one or two years not sure, but i remember being pissed about it.Through the years there were somegreat players i think my favorite was Homer Jones in those day the deep pass was called the bomb. Anywayguys thanksfor helping an old guyremember, ya know as bad as the giants were back then I still loved watching them as I do today. These are good times for sure.

byron nice thread

[/quote]

yeah I think Perkins gave us all a little hope after all those dismal years.
    he was there from 79 through 82.
    to me he was the first guy with a little fight in him since Webster.
    Alex Webster as much as I love the man who hales from my home state of NJ just a few towns away from me, I never felt like he was ready to be a head coach.
    Looking back it seems that everyone between Jim Lee Howell and Bill Parcells was just Wellington filling a Void he hoped Vince Lombardi would be filling.

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"]

I've replied to this 2X and it hasn't posted.

Mr. **** Lynch... our great Color man until last year, may he R.I.P. He was the reason so many fans in the stands were glued to their radios.

Who played in the D Backfield with him, and later became a head coach?

I hate to say it, but sometimes I think Allie decimated our team on purpose... because the players and fans disliked him so much... kinda like, "I'll show you"

[/quote]
      D1ck Nolan.

i really loved D!ck Lynch as a player as well as a broadcaster.
      a true Giant until his untimely passing.
      I actually got teary at the game after his death when they had a beautiful Lynch tribute.
      he was one of the greatest D backs we ever will have.

as for Allie I can't imagine another reason why he would make some of the trades that he made besides sabotage.
      I mean......Sam Huff, Modzelewski, Livingston, Grier....come on!!!!
      its like he wanted the legend of Landry & Lombardi to die and the Sherman era to begin.

who was the first "no look" Center who spent his whole 10 year career with the New York Football Giants?

Comment

Yeah, Nolan... easy one for you.

I would have thought Mel Hein would have started "No Look", but he played 14-15 years for us. Then, there was Ray Weitecha who played around 10 yrs for us. After him was Greg Larson, but I think he played more than 10 yrs... so it has to be Weitecha.

It made me think, along with those 3 Centers, we've also had Oates and O'Hara... pretty danged good company. Heck, I even liked Jim Clack and Brian Williams.

Since Hein, Larson and Weitecha all played 10+ years, and Oates had a long run (8-9 yrs), O'Hara not as long (5 so far)... But, throw in Clack, Williams, Hyland (forget his first name... Brian Hyland sticks in my brain, but he was the Itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka dot bikini singer! lol), Ron Stone... who else? Anyways, since Hein started we've probably had the fewest number of starting Centers for any pro team. O'Hara has some good years left. Hope we get a good one to replace him.

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"]

Yeah, Nolan... easy one for you.

I would have thought Mel Hein would have started "No Look", but he played 14-15 years for us. Then, there was Ray Weitecha who played around 10 yrs for us. After him was Greg Larson, but I think he played more than 10 yrs... so it has to be Weitecha.

It made me think, along with those 3 Centers, we've also had Oates and O'Hara... pretty danged good company. Heck, I even liked Jim Clack and Brian Williams.

Since Hein, Larson and Weitecha all played 10+ years, and Oates had a long run (8-9 yrs), O'Hara not as long (5 so far)... But, throw in Clack, Williams, Hyland (forget his first name... Brian Hyland sticks in my brain, but he was the Itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka dot bikini singer! lol), Ron Stone... who else? Anyways, since Hein started we've probably had the fewest number of starting Centers for any pro team. O'Hara has some good years left. Hope we get a good one to replace him.

[/quote]

yup it was Weitecha.
          the first center to not have to look between his legs to snap.
          made him very valuable.
          most centers soon followed.

wow never really thought about all the great centers we have had.
          pretty solid at that position always.
          you just never hear about it.

it's like they say.....the only people to appreciate an offensive lineman is his quarterback and his mother. hahaha

Comment

Before being traded to the Giants, this wide receiver did double duty with the Rams... as a reciver and as their punter. He carried a 42 ypg punting average for 3 yrs with the Rams, but never punted for the Giants.

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"]Before being traded to the Giants, this wide receiver did double duty with the Rams... as a reciver and as their punter. He carried a 42 ypg punting average for 3 yrs with the Rams, but never punted for the Giants.[/quote]

gotta be big target Del Shofner......???

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="zimonami"]Before being traded to the Giants, this wide receiver did double duty with the Rams... as a reciver and as their punter. He carried a 42 ypg punting average for 3 yrs with the Rams, but never punted for the Giants.[/quote]

[/quote]

Bingo.

I had a bad memory today, and was disappointed when I looked it up...I thought YA threw 5 TDs to Shofner in a game, His name wasn't in the record books for players with 5... so, I guess it was 4? Tell me... I'm sure you will know

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"]

[quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="zimonami"]Before being traded to the Giants, this wide receiver did double duty with the Rams... as a reciver and as their punter. He carried a 42 ypg punting average for 3 yrs with the Rams, but never punted for the Giants.[/quote]

[/quote]

Bingo.

I had a bad memory today, and was disappointed when I looked it up...I thought YA threw 5 TDs to Shofner in a game, His name wasn't in the record books for players with 5... so, I guess it was 4? Tell me... I'm sure you will know

[/quote]

I know he caught 3 TDs quite a few times.
                  not completely sure about a 4 TD game though.

What WR spent one full season with Big Blue in 1970 and caught 50 balls that year?

Comment

Wow, racked my brain...nothing. I remember Herrmann, Tucker @ TE, and Johnson and Fredrickson catching a lot of passes out of the backfield, but can't remember our other WR.

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"]

Wow, racked my brain...nothing. I remember Herrmann, Tucker @ TE, and Johnson and Fredrickson catching a lot of passes out of the backfield, but can't remember our other WR.

[/quote]

Clifton Mcneil
                      remember him?
                      long time brown i believe
                      he came over in 1970 and lit up the place

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="zimonami"]

[/quote]

Clifton Mcneil
                        remember him?
                        [/quote]

NO. I can picture McNeil with the Browns, but have no memory of him with us. Wow, a total hole in the brain. I'm going to look up his number, and then maybe I can make an association.

Carl Banks started at LOLB in '86. Who started in '85?

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="zimonami"]

[/quote]

Clifton Mcneil
                          remember him?
                          [/quote]

NO. I can picture McNeil with the Browns, but have no memory of him with us. Wow, a total hole in the brain. I'm going to look up his number, and then maybe I can make an association.

Carl Banks started at LOLB in '86. Who started in '85?

[/quote]
                          wow tough one......
                          Reasons? Hunt?

Harry was inside right?

you know of somewhere to look up jersey numbers?
                          been looking for something like that forever.

Comment

Yes, Byron Hunt.

For jersey numbers... go up top to History, then click on 1960-2002 stats, scores, rosters, and you can scroll down to any jersey number for that years starters. I've gone to this site hundreds of times over the years to reacquaint myself with Giant info from the good old days.

I just looked up Clifton McNeil... No. 18. Geez, I still can't remember him playing for us... only Cleveland.

But while I was there I reviewed out starter for the year '70... some names always jump out at me that I forget over the years... Lurtsema, Jim Files, Willie Williams... I haven't thought about those guys for years. Also noticed a very strange thing for 1970... we split with Dallas and Philly, and we beat St. Louis2 times... BUT, we only played Washington one time that year... WHY? I'm sure there was a reason that was in the papers that year, but I can't remember, and can't imagine why.

Also noticed the dreaded 6 preseason games. What a drag. It wasn't until 1978 that we went to 4 preseason games and 16 regular season. I didn't remember that. I would have guessed that the 4/16 game schedule started in '75-'76. What I will never forget is 1973. We were 6-0 in preseason. Expectations were high. I was thinking, "Cool, we're gonna kick butt this year." Then we went 2-11-1. Ever since that reality check I have never cared whether or not we won in preseason. I go to those games strictly to see our new rookies, FA's, and depth. I sit there praying no one will get injured.

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"]

Yes, Byron Hunt.

For jersey numbers... go up top to History, then click on 1960-2002 stats, scores, rosters, and you can scroll down to any jersey number for that years starters. I've gone to this site hundreds of times over the years to reacquaint myself with Giant info from the good old days.

I just looked up Clifton McNeil... No. 18. Geez, I still can't remember him playing for us... only Cleveland.

But while I was there I reviewed out starter for the year '70... some names always jump out at me that I forget over the years... Lurtsema, Jim Files, Willie Williams... I haven't thought about those guys for years. Also noticed a very strange thing for 1970... we split with Dallas and Philly, and we beat St. Louis2 times... BUT, we only played Washington one time that year... WHY? I'm sure there was a reason that was in the papers that year, but I can't remember, and can't imagine why.

Also noticed the dreaded 6 preseason games. What a drag. It wasn't until 1978 that we went to 4 preseason games and 16 regular season. I didn't remember that. I would have guessed that the 4/16 game schedule started in '75-'76. What I will never forget is 1973. We were 6-0 in preseason. Expectations were high. I was thinking, "Cool, we're gonna kick butt this year." Then we went 2-11-1. Ever since that reality check I have never cared whether or not we won in preseason. I go to those games strictly to see our new rookies, FA's, and depth. I sit there praying no one will get injured.

[/quote]

we played Washington twice in 1970.
                              won both close games.
                              27-24
                              35-33

wow you pulled out some names its been a while since I thought of.
                              Jim Files...what happened to him.
                              he was gone after just a few years......injury?
                              I dont remember

check this site out.
                              http://www.pro-football-reference.com/

Comment

I must be blind... and dumb. I swear I looked carefully at the 1970 schedule yesterday and only saw (1) Washington game. Then I counted to make sure... yep, 14 games, but only one Wash. I just went back there now and immediately saw (2) Washington games.... duh!!! I don't know, I'm 62 and I guess I'm losing my cookies.

Yeah, I love to see those names, like Files, Lurtsema, and it's like "Yeah, I remember that guy." After you brought up the "no look" center and it had to be Weitecha because I knew Hein and Larson played longer than 10 years, I looked up Hein to see exactly how many years... 15. Next I'm going to see if we ever had a player for more than 15 years. Do you know the record for most years with the Gmen? If not, I'll let you know.

You would have loved my aunt Jean who started our season tix in '43 (might have been '41 or '42, but she's dead now, so I can't ask her)... she was a walking encycolpedia of Giant players and facts and used to tell me all about the players of the 40's and 50's that I didn't see. She was the one who told me that this Giant was known as "Offense on Defense"... who was it? Prob an easy one for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X