X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DID YOU KNOW??

[quote user="zimonami"]

How many Giant Jersey numbers are retired?

Can you name the 6 who played from 1960 to the present?

[/quote]

oh now you have tapped into my strength......haha

11 retired numbers

60 to present would be

1.Gifford
    2.my man Tittle
    3.Joe Morrison
    4."Chuckin" Charley Conerly
    5. Simms
    6.Taylor

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"]

How many Giant Jersey numbers are retired?

Can you name the 6 who played from 1960 to the present?

[/quote]

Ray Flaherty #1, the first number to be retired in all of professional sports

Tuffy Leemans #4

Mel Hein #7

Phil Simms #11

YA Tittle #14

Frank Gifford #16

Al Blozis #32

Joe Morrison #40

Charlie Conerly #42

Ken Strong #50

Lawrence Taylor #56

Yes, I looked this up

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"]

Pat Summerall

I thought he and Madden were at their best when they were together on CBS

[/quote]

yeah I loved Pat and John together as well

I also liked his work in the 70s with Joe Brookshier.
        I could always tell when old Pat had had a few pops back then.....hahahaha

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="zimonami"]

Pat Summerall

I thought he and Madden were at their best when they were together on CBS

[/quote]

yeah I loved Pat and John together as well

I also liked his work in the 70s with Joe Brookshier.
          I could always tell when old Pat had had a few pops back then.....hahahaha
          [/quote]

Yes, but even then he did a good job. Yeah, I liked Brookshier as well.

I would expect them to retire Strahan some day. Tiki? Hmmm, perhaps not after popping off about TC. I do think they should have retired Harry's # 53. If he's good enough for the HoF, shouldn't he be good enough for us to retire? I had a Giant's hat that he autographed, back around '80... wore it so much that the sig just gradually faded away. Also had a baseball signed by the '53 Dodgers that my grandfather got for me. When I was about 11 we needed a ball for a sandlot game, so I used it...lol

I hope they have a nice display in the new stadium for all these guys, in addition to our Lombardi's, and previous championships.

Comment

who remembers what the Giants gave up to get Fran Tarkenton?

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"]who remembers what the Giants gave up to get Fran Tarkenton?
              [/quote]

I can't remember who we gave up. I do know that the Gman Offensive line hated blocking for him. They said they'd be trying to block their man to a certain direction and then find out that Fran had scrambled right to where they were directing their man. Giants always got the rap of blocking poorly for him but I remember that Fran rarely tried to pass from the pocket. He'd drop back and one nano second later he'd be scrambling. I must say, some of his scrambles were really wild adventures... hi-lite reeel stuff.

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"]

[quote user="YATittle1962"]who remembers what the Giants gave up to get Fran Tarkenton?
                [/quote]

I can't remember who we gave up. I do know that the Gman Offensive line hated blocking for him. They said they'd be trying to block their man to a certain direction and then find out that Fran had scrambled right to where they were directing their man. Giants always got the rap of blocking poorly for him but I remember that Fran rarely tried to pass from the pocket. He'd drop back and one nano second later he'd be scrambling. I must say, some of his scrambles were really wild adventures... hi-lite reeel stuff.

[/quote]

although sometimes it didnt feel like it, he was so much fun to watch now that I think back.
                I dont remember standing and sitting and standing and sitting and screaming NO NO NO, YES YES YES NO YES!!!!!! more with any other player....hahahahaha

he could pull us out of what seemed like disaster by almost losing 40 yards then finding Enie Koy or someone just standing alone in the endzone alone.

he was the first player that started to ease the pain of loosing Tittle for me.

...anyway I asked the question cus I for the life of me can't remember what we gave up for Frances.
                so if anyone remembers.....do the old man a favor and post it..

ok 2 part question

How many TDs did Tarkenton throw in 1967?
                ...and who was the only player that season to throw more?

Comment

I woudn't know without looking it up, but would guess between 25-30. Either Johnny U or Sonny Jurgenson would be the only ones I can think of back then who threw more.

What NY Giant player had a higher passing completion average than Fran in that same year?

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"]

I woudn't know without looking it up, but would guess between 25-30. Either Johnny U or Sonny Jurgenson would be the only ones I can think of back then who threw more.

What NY Giant player had a higher passing completion average than Fran in that same year?

[/quote]

I knew that this player had a higher completion % than Fran in '67 because I noticed it the other day when checking out some stats on him... but, it turns out that there were Three (3) Giants with higher completion % than Fran in '67. Can you name at least 2 of them?

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"]

[/quote]

I'm gonna say 27 and the other QB was Frank Ryan Cleveland?

Just a thought. How about we throw a few questions regarding opposing teams we played and players?

IE: Name the running back who took over after Jim Brown retired?

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"][quote user="zimonami"]

[/quote]

I knew that this player had a higher completion % than Fran in '67 because I noticed it the other day when checking out some stats on him... but, it turns out that there were Three (3) Giants with higher completion % than Fran in '67. Can you name at least 2 of them?

[/quote]

Wild guess....Chuck Mercein and Homer Jones

Comment

YA - here's the answer to the tarkenton trade:

Tarkenton was a No. 3 draft pick of the 1961 Vikings. He became the starting quarterback early in his rookie season and continued his outstanding performances for the next six seasons. But in 1967, he was sent to the New York Giants in a trade that netted the Vikings two No. 1 and two No. 2 draft picks over a three-year period.

WOW! that's a lot of high picks... even more than we gave up for Eli.

So, the Vikes cleaned our clock on that trade, not that Fran wasn't danged good, but that's 4 primo picks that could have been used for other needed positions, and we had been suffering from bad teams, and continued to suffer for years. I think I would have kept those picks and continued to go with Earl Morrall, and draft a good College QB that you could develop. We gave up pick #2, which Minny used on Clint Jones, RB from Michigan State. Pick #3 and #4 were Spurrier and Griese.

Comment

[quote user="SEC105"][quote user="zimonami"][quote user="zimonami"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wild guess....Chuck Mercein and Homer Jones

[/quote]

Good guesses, SEC, but neither is correct.I would have guessed Mercein, too, if I didn't already know the answers from looking it up. The one that I did know, whoI was thinking of first, played 3 positions that year, if you include his passes as having played the QB spot.... He was always a very versatile player.

HInts... one was the back-up QB, and the other 2 that threw passes, and had a higher % than Fran, were RB's

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"]

YA - here's the answer to the tarkenton trade:

Tarkenton was a No. 3 draft pick of the 1961 Vikings. He became the starting quarterback early in his rookie season and continued his outstanding performances for the next six seasons. But in 1967, he was sent to the New York Giants in a trade that netted the Vikings two No. 1 and two No. 2 draft picks over a three-year period.

WOW! that's a lot of high picks... even more than we gave up for Eli.

So, the Vikes cleaned our clock on that trade, not that Fran wasn't danged good, but that's 4 primo picks that could have been used for other needed positions, and we had been suffering from bad teams, and continued to suffer for years. I think I would have kept those picks and continued to go with Earl Morrall, and draft a good College QB that you could develop. We gave up pick #2, which Minny used on Clint Jones, RB from Michigan State. Pick #3 and #4 were Spurrier and Griese.

[/quote]
                              EXCELLENT
                              thank you

Comment

[quote user="SEC105"][quote user="zimonami"]

[/quote]

I'm gonna say 27 and the other QB was Frank Ryan Cleveland?

Just a thought. How about we throw a few questions regarding opposing teams we played and players?

IE: Name the running back who took over after Jim Brown retired?

[/quote]
                                he threw 29 that year.
                                and Sonny Jurgensen was the only QB to throw more

Comment

Working...
                                X