This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DID YOU KNOW??

as far as Hostetler...that was his old team mate Jim Burt........I think?
    I almost hope I'm wrong.......
    ......cus I just completely pulled that outta my .........

Geez, YA. Now that you mentioned that, the memory comes back to me, too. My gut tells me you're right, and I can almost see the hit. Yes, I'd hate for it to be Burt, too, but I'm sure he wasn't trying to be dirty. Once he got his body moving in one direction, he wasn't Mr. Nimble toes to change his momentum, as Montana could attest...lol. Burt would not have liked this new rule, where you can't hit the QB while you are down... took Jim too long to get back up. He'd crawl after you if he had to.

Burt, likeBavaro, Huff, and many others... Ichoose not to remember that some of our favorites ended their careeers with another team.

Comment

...so is Burt right????

ok who remembers this.....

do you remember a play known as "the Pete Previte Special?"

..and if so what made it special?

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"]...so is Burt right????

[/quote]

This is a crazy stumper. Previte was the clubhouse guy at Yankee Stadium who signed Mickey Mantle's name on baseballs. Now, how does that relate to a Giant play? I can't wait to hear this answer. Gots to be some deceptive play. Did he warm a ball to make for an easier field goal in the cold weather?

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"]

[quote user="YATittle1962"]...so is Burt right????

[/quote]

This is a crazy stumper. Previte was the clubhouse guy at Yankee Stadium who signed Mickey Mantle's name on baseballs. Now, how does that relate to a Giant play? I can't wait to hear this answer. Gots to be some deceptive play. Did he warm a ball to make for an easier field goal in the cold weather?

[/quote]
          hahahahahaha...good guess.

Ole Pete asked Harland Svare (who was D coach at the time) why football teams didn't use their fastest guys off the bench in certain situations like baseball teams do.
          He said the giants should put the 5 fastest guys out there and someone would get open.
          He specifically cited Barnes and Patton.
          Svare thought about the threat 5 speedsters would pose to the defense and took it to Allie.

so the Giants spread out Barnes, Patton, Shofner, Rote, and Walton.

Barnes caught a touchdown pass from Tittle the first time they ran it.

Comment

what player at 5' 10" 180lbs was known as "the worlds smallest Tight End?"

this is the guy who caught Tittles 33rd touchdown pass in 1962,
            he later became a head coach

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"]what player at 5' 10" 180lbs was known as "the worlds smallest Tight End?"

this is the guy who caught Tittles 33rd touchdown pass in 1962,
              he later became a head coach
              [/quote]

Joe Walton

Comment

who was the TE out of Rudgers in 1960 who ended up spending time at linebacker?

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"]who was the TE out of Rudgers in 1960 who ended up spending time at linebacker?
                  [/quote]

Wow, YA, you are realy testing the brain here. This is such an obscure question that I have no chance to get it right. So, I went back to look at the 1960 Rutgers team roster, and I think I have a match... Bob Simms?????

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"]

[quote user="YATittle1962"]who was the TE out of Rudgers in 1960 who ended up spending time at linebacker?
                    [/quote]

Wow, YA, you are realy testing the brain here. This is such an obscure question that I have no chance to get it right. So, I went back to look at the 1960 Rutgers team roster, and I think I have a match... Bob Simms?????

[/quote]
                    you have a match my man....Bob Simms

when Allie started his "house cleaning" he traded Cliff Livingston to the Vikings.
                    there was a rookie between Livingston and Simms playing that position.
                    who was it?

he was a big dude out of St. Olaf's College.
                    tough kid.
                    good player.
                    got injured early in the season.
                    thats when they brought in Simms

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="zimonami"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

when Allie started his "house cleaning" he traded Cliff Livingston to the Vikings.
                      who was it?

tough kid.
                      good player.
                      [/quote]

I believe that LB you're refering to YA is Bill Winter

Jim Burt was the guy who nailed Hoss in the 91 NFC Championship Game vs SF , His motor never stopped running Do you think Montana was happy to have on his side[]

Late December 1981 our first playoff gamesince 1963. Against Philly score0-0 we punt and the returner fumbles , who recovered it Hint it was a GiantsDB we all remember his name

Comment

[quote user="SEC105"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="zimonami"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

who was it?

tough kid.
                        good player.
                        [/quote]

Jim Burt was the guy who nailed Hoss in the 91 NFC Championship Game vs SF , His motor never stopped running Do you think Montana was happy to have on his side[]

Late December 1981 our first playoff gamesince 1963. Against Philly score0-0 we punt and the returner fumbles , who recovered it Hint it was a GiantsDB we all remember his name

[/quote]

that was Mark Haynes #36
                        big play

who replaced Rosey Grier when he was traded to the Ram?

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="SEC105"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="zimonami"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

who was it?

tough kid.
                          good player.
                          [/quote]

[/quote]

that was Mark Haynes #36
                          big play

[/quote]

First punt of the game ,score 0-0, by Jennings it was recovered by another DB . Ithink he went on to some [minimal] broadcasting

Was the guys lastname Andersonwho replaced Rosey Grier?

Comment

Rosey was replaced by John LoVeteer, and wore the same #76. I was mad that Rosey was gone, but didn't hold it against Lo... for some reason I liked LoVeteer's name... I still wonder what nationality it was... I'll have to look that up.

Comment

[quote user="SEC105"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="SEC105"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="zimonami"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

who was it?

tough kid.
                              good player.
                              [/quote]

[/quote]

that was Mark Haynes #36
                              big play

[/quote]

First punt of the game ,score 0-0, by Jennings it was recovered by another DB . Ithink he went on to some [minimal] broadcasting

Was the guys lastname Andersonwho replaced Rosey Grier?

[/quote]
                              I totally misunderstood.

that had to be Reece?
                              its a guess but i know he went on to some broadcasting.

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"]Rosey was replaced by John LoVeteer, and wore the same #76. I was mad that Rosey was gone, but didn't hold it against Lo... for some reason I liked LoVeteer's name... I still wonder what nationality it was... I'll have to look that up.[/quote]

yup LoVetere is right.
                                i remember him being a real big mo fo....was he?

heres one...

who earned the name "Toy Bulldog" because of his great wedge busting on kickoffs in the early 60s?
                                he was picked up as a FA out of Michigan State in 1961

Comment

Working...
                                X