This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DID YOU KNOW??

[quote user="SEC105"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="SEC105"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="zimonami"]

[quote user="YATittle1962"]who was the TE out of Rudgers in 1960 who ended up spending time at linebacker?
    [/quote]

Wow, YA, you are realy testing the brain here. This is such an obscure question that I have no chance to get it right. So, I went back to look at the 1960 Rutgers team roster, and I think I have a match... Bob Simms?????

[/quote]
    you have a match my man....Bob Simms

when Allie started his "house cleaning" he traded Cliff Livingston to the Vikings.
    there was a rookie between Livingston and Simms playing that position.
    who was it?

he was a big dude out of St. Olaf's College.
    tough kid.
    good player.
    got injured early in the season.
    thats when they brought in Simms
    [/quote]

I believe that LB you're refering to YA is Bill Winter

Jim Burt was the guy who nailed Hoss in the 91 NFC Championship Game vs SF , His motor never stopped running Do you think Montana was happy to have on his side[]

Late December 1981 our first playoff gamesince 1963. Against Philly score0-0 we punt and the returner fumbles , who recovered it Hint it was a GiantsDB we all remember his name

[/quote]

that was Mark Haynes #36
    big play

who replaced Rosey Grier when he was traded to the Ram?
    [/quote]

First punt of the game ,score 0-0, by Jennings it was recovered by another DB . Ithink he went on to some [minimal] broadcasting

Was the guys lastname Andersonwho replaced Rosey Grier?

[/quote]

YA has to be right... Beasley... he is the sports anchor for CBS (I think) TV evening news in Philadelphia... has been for many years. I'm in Pa and get the PA news stations. I hate seeing him report Eagles victories, and saying "Our Eagles won today." I hope he is still a Giant in his heart.

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="zimonami"]Rosey was replaced by John LoVeteer, and wore the same #76. I was mad that Rosey was gone, but didn't hold it against Lo... for some reason I liked LoVeteer's name... I still wonder what nationality it was... I'll have to look that up.[/quote]

yup LoVetere is right.
      i remember him being a real big mo fo....was he?

heres one...

who earned the name "Toy Bulldog" because of his great wedge busting on kickoffs in the early 60s?
      he was picked up as a FA out of Michigan State in 1961
      [/quote]

Are you crazy, YA? These mutha's are tough. I couldn't remember, and had to look this one up, again. Believe it had to be Mickey Walker...played G/C/amd LB. One good thing though... it's easy to remember the guys who were starters and had the names we all remember... your questions make me go back and re-visit all the other guys who weren't big shots, butwho contributed to out team.

By the way, LoVetere (TY for correcting my spelling... you got it right) was a big mutha... had to be 275-285 in the days when only a few, like Ernie Ladd, were 300#.

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"]

[quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="zimonami"]Rosey was replaced by John LoVeteer, and wore the same #76. I was mad that Rosey was gone, but didn't hold it against Lo... for some reason I liked LoVeteer's name... I still wonder what nationality it was... I'll have to look that up.[/quote]

yup LoVetere is right.

heres one...

who earned the name "Toy Bulldog" because of his great wedge busting on kickoffs in the early 60s?
        [/quote]

Are you crazy, YA? These mutha's are tough. I couldn't remember, and had to look this one up, again. Believe it had to be Mickey Walker...played G/C/amd LB. One good thing though... it's easy to remember the guys who were starters and had the names we all remember... your questions make me go back and re-visit all the other guys who weren't big shots, butwho contributed to out team.

By the way, LoVetere (TY for correcting my spelling... you got it right) was a big mutha... had to be 275-285 in the days when only a few, like Ernie Ladd, were 300#.

[/quote]

I gotta know where you are digging these answers up from...hahahaha

Yeah Mickey Walker.

yeah he was an all around kinda guy.
        just a football player.
        just stick him somewhere and tell him to play football

Im telling you my brain, bookshelves, display cases, and walls are full of this stuff.
        mostly my brain though.

i used to study this stuff as a kid.
        I was the kid memorizing the back of a bubble gum card cus the guy on it looked tough.
        I remember sitting at my grandmothers house and memorizing the back of a Mel Tripplett card.

a lot of my life was dedicated to 2 things
        music, and the New York Football Giants.

...anyway...heres another.....

This baby faced guy was drafted to play Center.
        he played his rookie season as a Tackle
        his second year at Guard
        then finally his third year started at Center for many years to come.

who is he?
        what number did he wear?

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="zimonami"]

yup LoVetere is right.

heres one...

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah Mickey Walker.

just a football player.

Im telling you my brain, bookshelves, display cases, and walls are full of this stuff.
          mostly my brain though.

I was the kid memorizing the back of a bubble gum card cus the guy on it looked tough.
          I remember sitting at my grandmothers house and memorizing the back of a Mel Tripplett card.

his second year at Guard

who is he?
          what number did he wear?

[/quote]

Had to be Greg Larson cuz I know he played guard before taking the reins from Wietecha at Center.

My answers? Some are pure memory, but at 62 I do have my problems. Sometimes I know the answer,can see the guys face in my mind,and the name just won't come to me. If I know a name, I can usually remember his number. But, if I have a number I can't always remember the name to go with it. If I have to do some research, I'll tell you. Sometimes it'll take me 1/2 hour or more to find an answer, but I can usually boil it down. Like Mickey Walker... went to the Giant roster for '61 and looked up the alma maters of every player that I thought could be the answer. If he was a name starter, I probably wouldn't have had to check. I couldn't remember his name, sowent through the rosterchecking on any of our guys that didn't ring a bell. LIke Bob Simms, too. They are the tough ones, the unsung bench guys who filled in and did the job

My aunt was a walking encyclopedia on the Giants... truly. She would talk Giants 24/7. She knew all the older guys, pre 1960, when I became interested. She'd tell me all about them.She lived with us for 6 months every year, August toFebruary, starting in '68, so I could drive her to the games and watch the games withher when we weren't playing Home.I am sure, for example, that she was the one who told me about Emlin's Gremlins... although I could have heard it on TV, or read it in the papers. She loved Emlin, Hein, Rote, Conerly,Tittle, Webster... anyone who played their hearts out for her team. She was full of little, personal tidbits about the guys. During the 50's she had the whole offensive line over for dinner on Mondays. I've never known a more knowledgeable, or faithful Giant fan. When I married my wife, her niece, she hated football. Old Aunt Jean and I got her on the right track, so now I am lucky to have a partner that loves the Giants, too. ... R.I.P Aunt Jean.

Comment

I forgot to complete the Greg Larson question... how's this? Harry Carson wore his number.

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="zimonami"]

yup LoVetere is right.

heres one...

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah Mickey Walker.

just a football player.

mostly my brain though.

his second year at Guard

who is he?
              what number did he wear?

[/quote]

Had to be Greg Larson cuz I know he played guard before taking the reins from Wietecha at Center.

My answers? Some are pure memory, but at 62 I do have my problems. Sometimes I know the answer,can see the guys face in my mind,and the name just won't come to me. If I know a name, I can usually remember his number. But, if I have a number I can't always remember the name to go with it. If I have to do some research, I'll tell you. Sometimes it'll take me 1/2 hour or more to find an answer, but I can usually boil it down. Like Mickey Walker... went to the Giant roster for '61 and looked up the alma maters of every player that I thought could be the answer. If he was a name starter, I probably wouldn't have had to check. I couldn't remember his name, sowent through the rosterchecking on any of our guys that didn't ring a bell. LIke Bob Simms, too. They are the tough ones, the unsung bench guys who filled in and did the job

My aunt was a walking encyclopedia on the Giants... truly. She would talk Giants 24/7. She knew all the older guys, pre 1960, when I became interested. She'd tell me all about them.She lived with us for 6 months every year, August toFebruary, starting in '68, so I could drive her to the games and watch the games withher when we weren't playing Home.I am sure, for example, that she was the one who told me about Emlin's Gremlins... although I could have heard it on TV, or read it in the papers. She loved Emlin, Hein, Rote, Conerly,Tittle, Webster... anyone who played their hearts out for her team. She was full of little, personal tidbits about the guys. During the 50's she had the whole offensive line over for dinner on Mondays. I've never known a more knowledgeable, or faithful Giant fan. When I married my wife, her niece, she hated football. Old Aunt Jean and I got her on the right track, so now I am lucky to have a partner that loves the Giants, too. ... R.I.P Aunt Jean.

[/quote]
              wow
              Aunt Jean sounds like someone I would have loved to be around and ask questions to.

My dad and uncles would always talk about Conerly, Svoboda, I remember the name Agajanian sticking out to me as a kid.
              I have vivid memories of hearing my dad and uncle over by the radio swearing up and down cursing out Conerly.
              I was real young.

...anyway...Greg Larson is the guy.
              Great player for a long time.

must have been a whole lot of food to feed the whole line

Comment

what long time Giant saw time at right, and left Halfback, Fullback, Flanker, Split End, Tight End, and Strong Safety?

he wasn't the best athlete but he was a great great Giant.

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"]what long time Giant saw time at right, and left Halfback, Fullback, Flanker, Split End, Tight End, and Strong Safety?

[/quote]

Z Thanks for sharing the "Aunt Jean" stories with us . That was some great reading and God Bless her. Sure see's looking down from Heaven watching the Giants every move. What a greatperson she must have been

Yeah it was Beasley Reece who recovered that fumble. He use to be so good after games coming out and talking to people. Good guy. He got my father tickets to some of the away games at Washington and Philly. Glad to hear he's working down in Philly but I sure wish he was up heredoing sports ....................He's always welcome back

YA sounds like you're talking about Joe Morrison........Would that be it?

What player intercepted A Danny White pass in OT Dec 1981 setting up Danelos game winning FG to beat Dallas and propel us into the playoffs for the first time in 17 years?

Comment

[quote user="SEC105"]

[quote user="YATittle1962"]what long time Giant saw time at right, and left Halfback, Fullback, Flanker, Split End, Tight End, and Strong Safety?

[/quote]

Z Thanks for sharing the "Aunt Jean" stories with us . That was some great reading and God Bless her. Sure see's looking down from Heaven watching the Giants every move. What a greatperson she must have been

Yeah it was Beasley Reece who recovered that fumble. He use to be so good after games coming out and talking to people. Good guy. He got my father tickets to some of the away games at Washington and Philly. Glad to hear he's working down in Philly but I sure wish he was up heredoing sports ....................He's always welcome back

What player intercepted A Danny White pass in OT Dec 1981 setting up Danelos game winning FG to beat Dallas and propel us into the playoffs for the first time in 17 years?

[/quote]

pretty sure that was Byron Hunt out of SMU.

big boy 6' 5" 240 or so

...and you Joe Morrison is the guy.

I loved that guy

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="SEC105"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

big boy 6' 5" 240 or so

I loved that guy

[/quote]

Byron Hunts the man YA..................The stadium went crazy remember? It was so nerve wracking those last few minutes because Danelo had missed on his previous attempt

Was Joe morrison the man you were refering to ? Great Giant in many ways

Sorry just missed that you posted that it was Joe Morrison.......Couple of minutes I'll post another question

Comment

[quote user="SEC105"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="SEC105"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

big boy 6' 5" 240 or so

I loved that guy

[/quote]

Byron Hunts the man YA..................The stadium went crazy remember? It was so nerve wracking those last few minutes because Danelo had missed on his previous attempt

Was Joe morrison the man you were refering to ? Great Giant in many ways

[/quote]

yup Joe was the guy.

what a great great Giant

oh!...that game almost gave me a heart attack ...and I was still young then...hahahaha

Comment

Im stepping out til around 8:30 tonight

hope I dont miss anything good......[]

[B]

Comment

You guys are beating me to punch here.

YA - I agree with SEC on the Joe Morrison answer. It seemed so obvious to me, but I figured it could have been someone, a trickquestion,else as Joe has been the answer to other questions we have posed

SEC - I agree with YA on that one... Byron Hunt. I like him, he was a danged decent LB for us.

A few more tidbits about aunt Jean... she was a Rockette in the late 30's. While she was a WAC during WWII she had a boyfriend she lived with who drove away with her mobile home and they never caught him. She was so burned that she vowed never to get married, and she didn't.Was assigned to sellWar Bonds outside of the Polo Grounds at Giant games in '42 and, after the people would stop filing in, and she heard all the cheering inside, she figured she'd go in and watch the game. She was hooked and started her season tix the next year. She was going senilearoundthe '87 super bowl victory, but had enough cookies to appreciate the win. That summer, '87, she had a stroke and was really getting bad. One rainy summerSaturday I figured I'd put on the VHS tape of our victory over Denver for her, and I sit her down and start playing the game. She says, "Oh, I didn't know we had a game today. Who's playing?"- "It's the Super Bowl victory, against Denver,Aunt Jean." - "Oh, who are we playing?" - "Denver." - "Oh. Are we playing home or in Denver?" - "Pasadena, Aunt Jean, it's the Super Bowl that we just beat Denver in." Three minutes later we go through the same routine. This went on for the entire game. She didn't have a clue. It was humerous, but very sad. But, she did remember LT, Harry, Bavaro, and Simms, and any time their names were mentioned she would say how great they were. She died the summer before the great '90 season. From 1943 to about the '84 season she never missed a single home game, although every time we had a game at Shea she vowed she would never go back again... hated it there. But, of course we always went back. Before her bad days she could remember everything about every Giant player. She would have had zero problem answering any questions we've had here. She HATED Allie, from day one. Blamed him totally for our downfall and trading away all our good players. It used to be fun getting Christmas cards for her at our house from several of the older guys... Rote, Morrison, Webster, Conerly, and most of the guys on the offensive line. That was her bread and butter... always said a championship team starts with the O line. Tittle would throw a bomb to Homer and she be screaming about the great block that so and so threw. You guys would have loved her.

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"]

YA - I agree with SEC on the Joe Morrison answer. It seemed so obvious to me, but I figured it could have been someone, a trickquestion,else as Joe has been the answer to other questions we have posed

SEC - I agree with YA on that one... Byron Hunt. I like him, he was a danged decent LB for us.

A few more tidbits about aunt Jean... she was a Rockette in the late 30's. While she was a WAC during WWII she had a boyfriend she lived with who drove away with her mobile home and they never caught him. She was so burned that she vowed never to get married, and she didn't.Was assigned to sellWar Bonds outside of the Polo Grounds at Giant games in '42 and, after the people would stop filing in, and she heard all the cheering inside, she figured she'd go in and watch the game. She was hooked and started her season tix the next year. She was going senilearoundthe '87 super bowl victory, but had enough cookies to appreciate the win. That summer, '87, she had a stroke and was really getting bad. One rainy summerSaturday I figured I'd put on the VHS tape of our victory over Denver for her, and I sit her down and start playing the game. She says, "Oh, I didn't know we had a game today. Who's playing?"- "It's the Super Bowl victory, against Denver,Aunt Jean." - "Oh, who are we playing?" - "Denver." - "Oh. Are we playing home or in Denver?" - "Pasadena, Aunt Jean, it's the Super Bowl that we just beat Denver in." Three minutes later we go through the same routine. This went on for the entire game. She didn't have a clue. It was humerous, but very sad. But, she did remember LT, Harry, Bavaro, and Simms, and any time their names were mentioned she would say how great they were. She died the summer before the great '90 season. From 1943 to about the '84 season she never missed a single home game, although every time we had a game at Shea she vowed she would never go back again... hated it there. But, of course we always went back. Before her bad days she could remember everything about every Giant player. She would have had zero problem answering any questions we've had here. She HATED Allie, from day one. Blamed him totally for our downfall and trading away all our good players. It used to be fun getting Christmas cards for her at our house from several of the older guys... Rote, Morrison, Webster, Conerly, and most of the guys on the offensive line. That was her bread and butter... always said a championship team starts with the O line. Tittle would throw a bomb to Homer and she be screaming about the great block that so and so threw. You guys would have loved her.

[/quote]

Z Very much enjoyed the story of Aunt Jeans life What a great fan

Who was the last player to wear the number 32 for the Giants? This may be a lot tougher than you guys realize at first look

Comment

• Re: DID YOU KNOW?? aka Aunt Jeans Game.

[quote user="zimonami"]

[/quote]

I feel like I know and love Aunt Jean.
                                that was me screaming "whoa did you see that block Dess just threw?"

I here by declare this thread officially Aunt Jeans Game

Comment

Working...
                                X