This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DID YOU KNOW??

This is Neal Guggemos, in 1988 he was the Giants leading kick returner. For the life of me I no recollection of him at all, which is rare, though it was a bit before I really started paying attention. Does anyone remember him?

Yes no question at all really, but a mission for a laugh for you, put his name into Goggle image search and see the first 4 pictures that pop up. BTW-don't do it at work. I nearly spit my coffee all over my keyboard.

Comment

What was everyone’s first experience watching the Giants live?

Feel free to go into detail, would love to hear the stories.

Giants fan since the early 80s

Comment

everyone around here knows mine....but Ill tell it again since one of my favorite posters asked..........pretty sure me and SEC were at the same game......

it was Oct 28 1962.....I was 9 years old.....about to turn 10 in almost exactly a month.....

my uncle and dad took my brother and I to Yankee Stadium for what was my first time seeing the Giants in person......

previously all I had to go by was the radio broadcast and pictures in the news paper......we didnt have a TV until around .......1964 it must have been.....one of the first things I remember watching on TV was the Beatles on Ed Sullivan......so I guess it was 64......

anyway......that day I watched YA Tittle throw 7 TD passes ......and a rabid fan was born......

I remember people around me yelling for him to throw the 8th....which he could have.........but YA and Allie being the classy guys they were.....they ran the ball to end the game......

I can see my old man..... cigarette dangling from his mouth saying.....how 'bout that kid how 'bout that!!!!!

we stormed the field after the game ......as you did in those days......I remember slipping in one of the mud pits surrounding the field and losing one of my Chuck Taylors......

a day Ill never forget.....

sometimes when I smell popcorn and beer its like my brain goes into a time warp back to those days.....magical times.....

oh the good old Bronx and the way it was back then......

anyway ....I was immediately obsessed and havent changed one bit since.......

Comment

first,glad to be on page 500 of the best thread on the boards...my first live experience of seeing the giants live in 1973 in the season opener against the houston oilers when i was 6 years old...hooked as soon as we took our seats and started watching the warm-ups!

Comment

My first Giant game ever was in 1990. My family had just moved to Philly and as a moving gift my day bought for me tickets to a Giants game for him and I at the Vet.

I remember that leading up to that game the Giants were undefeated and on a roll. This was the 1st season where I really understood what was going on. My dad had been to many a game at Giant's stadium because his friend had season tickets, but never had a chance to take me.

So I was 8 about to turn 8 an it was near Thanksgiving as I recall. Got dressed up warm for the game and my only winter coat at the time was this Giants parka my dad got me because he loved the fact that I liked watching football with him.

We had seats in the upper deck there. My dad got me a hot dog and a drink and we went to the seats. Then everyone started shouting at us, I didn't really notice it was at us at first, just seemed like angry shouting. Then my dad got up and asked me to come with him. I remember being upset because the ball was just about to be kicked off. Then as we were working down the aisle to the steps I realized it was us that they were shouting at. Next think I know someone pushed dad, then hit my drink and it spilled all over me, and my hot dog fell out of my hand and someone stepped on it. Dad then picked me up and carried me off. He took us too the security office and he was arguing with a man there and I remember the guy saying, "Well if you are worried about safety you shouldn't have dressed her like that. Probably best if you go home." Now I was wet, upset and heartbroken because I didn't get to watch the game.

Mom though used our VCR to tape the game, so dad and I watched whn we got home, which was nice, but then they lost.

Great times.

Comment

[quote user="jmike"]My first Giant game ever was in 1990. My family had just moved to Philly and as a moving gift my day bought for me tickets to a Giants game for him and I at the Vet.

I remember that leading up to that game the Giants were undefeated and on a roll. This was the 1st season where I really understood what was going on. My dad had been to many a game at Giant's stadium because his friend had season tickets, but never had a chance to take me.

So I was 8 about to turn 8 an it was near Thanksgiving as I recall. Got dressed up warm for the game and my only winter coat at the time was this Giants parka my dad got me because he loved the fact that I liked watching football with him.

We had seats in the upper deck there. My dad got me a hot dog and a drink and we went to the seats. Then everyone started shouting at us, I didn't really notice it was at us at first, just seemed like angry shouting. Then my dad got up and asked me to come with him. I remember being upset because the ball was just about to be kicked off. Then as we were working down the aisle to the steps I realized it was us that they were shouting at. Next think I know someone pushed dad, then hit my drink and it spilled all over me, and my hot dog fell out of my hand and someone stepped on it. Dad then picked me up and carried me off. He took us too the security office and he was arguing with a man there and I remember the guy saying, "Well if you are worried about safety you shouldn't have dressed her like that. Probably best if you go home." Now I was wet, upset and heartbroken because I didn't get to watch the game.

Mom though used our VCR to tape the game, so dad and I watched when we got home, which was nice, but then they lost.

Great times.
              [/quote]well,that's the scum-sucking filthy fans for you...even messing with an 8 year old girl-but oh,so typical of them.sorry your first experience was like that,jmike.

Comment

[quote user="jmike"]My first Giant game ever was in 1990.* My family had just moved to Philly and as a moving gift my day bought for me tickets to a Giants game for him and I at the Vet.

I remember that leading up to that game the Giants were undefeated and on a roll. This was the 1st season where I really understood what was going on.* My dad had been to many a game at Giant's stadium because his friend had season tickets, but never had a chance to take me.

So I was 8 about to turn 8 an it was near Thanksgiving as I recall.* Got dressed up warm for the game and my only winter coat at the time was this Giants parka my dad got me because he loved the fact that I liked watching football with him.

We had seats in the upper deck there.* My dad got me a hot dog and a drink and we went to the seats.* Then everyone started shouting at us, I didn't really notice it was at us at first, just seemed like angry shouting.* Then my dad got up and asked me to come with him.* I remember being upset because the ball was just about to be kicked off.* Then as we were working down the aisle to the steps I realized it was us that they were shouting at.* Next think I know someone pushed dad, then hit my drink and it spilled all over me, and my hot dog fell out of my hand and someone stepped on it.* Dad then picked me up and carried me off.* He took us too the security office and he was arguing with a man there and I remember the guy saying, "Well if you are worried about safety you shouldn't have dressed her like that.* Probably best if you go home."* Now I was wet, upset and heartbroken because I didn't get to watch the game.*

Mom though used our VCR to tape the game, so dad and I watched whn we got home, which was nice, but then they lost.

Great times.
                [/quote]

thats a very sad story jm......hopefully you have had better experiences since

Comment

[quote user="rbcarpenter"][quote user="jmike"]My first Giant game ever was in 1990. My family had just moved to Philly and as a moving gift my day bought for me tickets to a Giants game for him and I at the Vet.

Mom though used our VCR to tape the game, so dad and I watched when we got home, which was nice, but then they lost.

Great times.
                  [/quote]well,that's the scum-sucking filthy fans for you...even messing with an 8 year old girl-but oh,so typical of them.sorry your first experience was like that,jmike.
                  [/quote]

Is life. I have learned from going to many games of many different sports in several cities that it isn't the fans as much, because there are fans like that everywhere. It is the security in Philly at all their stadiums that allow that. It isn't tolerated other places. I could bore you with other stories of how bad security is trained there and still at the Philly stadiums. But I will leave it at this, they are trained to wait until something actually happens before they do anything. They also feel it is better to remove to other team's fans then to police the behavior of their own.

Comment

But for me, I have found I enjoy football more at home. Baseball and hockey I do enjoy going to the games though.

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="jmike"]My first Giant game ever was in 1990. My family had just moved to Philly and as a moving gift my day bought for me tickets to a Giants game for him and I at the Vet.

Great times.
                      [/quote]

thats a very sad story jm......hopefully you have had better experiences since[/quote]

Not really. I have never been to an NFL football game live and enjoyed myself. Including Giants Stadium. Had fun at some Penn State games when I was there, but I was plastered at those, wasn't really about the game.

Comment

wow,jmike,did i read that right?you've never had an enjoyable experience at any nfl game anywhere?that is truly a shame.i have been to approximatley 70 games through the years,home and away,and i can honestly say that i've only not enjoyed myself twice!(and those days had nothing to do with the outcome of said games.)i really hope you can get to get to a game soon that pumps you up!

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"]everyone around here knows mine....but Ill tell it again since one of my favorite posters asked..........pretty sure me and SEC were at the same game...... it was Oct 28 1962.....I was 9 years old.....about to turn 10 in almost exactly a month..... my uncle and dad took my brother and I to Yankee Stadium for what was my first time seeing the Giants in person...... previously all I had to go by was the radio broadcast and pictures in the news paper......we didnt have a TV until around .......1964 it must have been.....one of the first things I remember watching on TV was the Beatles on Ed Sullivan......so I guess it was 64...... anyway......that day I watched YA Tittle throw 7 TD passes ......and a rabid fan was born...... I remember people around me yelling for him to throw the 8th....which he could have.........but YA and Allie being the classy guys they were.....they ran the ball to end the game...... I can see my old man..... cigarette dangling from his mouth saying.....how 'bout that kid how 'bout that!!!!! we stormed the field after the game ......as you did in those days......I remember slipping in one of the mud pits surrounding the field and losing one of my Chuck Taylors...... a day Ill never forget..... sometimes when I smell popcorn and beer its like my brain goes into a time warp back to those days.....magical times..... oh the good old Bronx and the way it was back then...... anyway ....I was immediately obsessed and havent changed one bit since.......[/quote]

Great story YA

Giants fan since the early 80s

Comment

[quote user="rbcarpenter"]wow,jmike,did i read that right?you've never had an enjoyable experience at any nfl game anywhere?that is truly a shame.i have been to approximatley 70 games through the years,home and away,and i can honestly say that i've only not enjoyed myself twice!(and those days had nothing to do with the outcome of said games.)i really hope you can get to get to a game soon that pumps you up!
                            [/quote]

Been to 12 games. Likely will not go to another. Turned down tickets for the last Super Bowl in fact and glad I did, would have been surrounded with Pats fans, instead of watching it with my sister. It was like the 1990 super bowl, almost felt like dad was there. She even got into the game.

Comment

Who is this former Giant QB?

Z

Comment

[quote user="jmike"][quote user="rbcarpenter"]wow,jmike,did i read that right?you've never had an enjoyable experience at any nfl game anywhere?that is truly a shame.i have been to approximatley 70 games through the years,home and away,and i can honestly say that i've only not enjoyed myself twice!(and those days had nothing to do with the outcome of said games.)i really hope you can get to get to a game soon that pumps you up!
                                [/quote]

Been to 12 games. Likely will not go to another. Turned down tickets for the last Super Bowl in fact and glad I did, would have been surrounded with Pats fans, instead of watching it with my sister. It was like the 1990 super bowl, almost felt like dad was there. She even got into the game.
                                [/quote]

Don't let that experience at the Vet in Philly when you were a kid stop you from going to games like SB42. I was there and it's nothing like games down in the Linc. Plenty of Giant fans that day in Arizona [Feb 3 , 2008]...... Not to mention Security..... One of the Greatest Sporting events I've ever attended

I've been to Eagles games at the Vet and know exactly what you are talking. As a fan of the Giants and a football fan also....the NFL really needs to look at the way opposing fans are treated. Philly fans are absolute pigs!

Comment

Working...
                                X