This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DID YOU KNOW??

[quote user="SEC105"][quote user="jints10"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="jints10"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="jints10"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="SEC105"]

Shea stadium was the answer

What Giant returned the kickoff on the first play ever @ Giants Stadium?

[/quote]

i think it was Robinson.....?
    I was at that game but its a very foggy memory........

the 3-4 defense of 1981.
    what nose tackle did that defense take shape around?

[/quote]

Either Jimmy Robinson or Gordan Bell for the return question

1981 was Jim Burt's first year

[/quote]

it was Burts first year but another guy started at nose.....

this guy was a fantastic rookie..
    a beast that sealed the inside.....

a main reason why they allowed the fewest yards per rush attempt that season.
    [/quote]

Ok I almost forgot about him Bill Neill

[/quote]

he was a beast.....

was it injuries that ended his run...?
    dont remember.....

I hated the 3-4 but I loved that kid
    [/quote]

Probably just the emergence of Burt. Then Erik Howard pushed Burt.That was a nice streach for NTs.

Who was the first starting QB to win the Super Bowl wearing the number 10.

[/quote]

Gordon Bell returned the first Kickoff @ Giants Stadium

Wild guess Jim Plunkett as no.10 can't be Eli can it?

Leon Bright was leveled by a Dallas player in the first half of the Dec 1981 game [sending us playoff bound ] and taken off the field on a cart. When did Leon return to the Giants to play again?

[/quote]
    Plunkett wore #16, I believe. Yea it was Eli I was surprised when I read this myself.

I know that Bright played the following week in the Wild Card game vs the Eagles. So I'm guessing he came back in the 2nd half of that very same Dallas game.

Comment

[quote user="jints10"][quote user="SEC105"][quote user="jints10"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="jints10"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="jints10"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="SEC105"]

[/quote]

the 3-4 defense of 1981.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

he was a beast.....

dont remember.....

[/quote]

Probably just the emergence of Burt. Then Erik Howard pushed Burt.That was a nice streach for NTs.

[/quote]

Leon Bright was leveled by a Dallas player in the first half of the Dec 1981 game [sending us playoff bound ] and taken off the field on a cart. When did Leon return to the Giants to play again?

[/quote]
      Plunkett wore #16, I believe. Yea it was Eli I was surprised when I read this myself.

I know that Bright played the following week in the Wild Card game vs the Eagles. So I'm guessing he came back in the 2nd half of that very same Dallas game.

[/quote]

Thats something about no. 10 never realized it either

Yup Bright was carted off on a stretcher in the first half and returned in the second half of the game. I just remember the ovation he got we he popped out of the tunnel to resume playing. He had guts!!!

who had the longest field goal in Giant history [2 of em from the same distance] I think this record still stands

Comment

[quote user="SEC105"][quote user="jints10"][quote user="SEC105"][quote user="jints10"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="jints10"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="jints10"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="SEC105"]

[/quote]

the 3-4 defense of 1981.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

he was a beast.....

dont remember.....

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yup Bright was carted off on a stretcher in the first half and returned in the second half of the game. I just remember the ovation he got we he popped out of the tunnel to resume playing. He had guts!!!

who had the longest field goal in Giant history [2 of em from the same distance] I think this record still stands

[/quote]

Was it Stover? he had a big leg when he was a rookie.

Comment

[quote user="yo-ho"][quote user="SEC105"][quote user="jints10"][quote user="SEC105"][quote user="jints10"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="jints10"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="jints10"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="SEC105"]

[/quote]

the 3-4 defense of 1981.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

he was a beast.....

dont remember.....

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Was it Stover? he had a big leg when he was a rookie.

[/quote]

The guy I'm thinking of played in the 80s that record might may been broken. It was 56 yards [2]

Comment

Ali Haji Sheek (sp) had the longest on record but Summerall clames to have the longer one that he says was miss marked by record keepers cuz of snow.

Comment

[quote user="jints10"]Ali Haji Sheek (sp) had the longest on record but Summerall clames to have the longer one that he says was miss marked by record keepers cuz of snow.
              [/quote]

Yeh , I was thinking of Ali Haji Shiek [sp] I know he had 2 56 yarders but somebody might have gone longer [Daluiso?] or perhaps Stover

I've heard that too. My father used to say itwas a lot longer than 49 yards for Summerall in the snow no less. Must be a way to fiqure that out these days from old films.

Comment

Who holds the Giants record with 3 punt returns for TDs in a single game?

Comment

[quote user="jints10"]Who holds the Giants record with 3 punt returns for TDs in a single game?
                  [/quote]

I'm thinking Dave Megget

What reason did the Giants give for building those concrete walls around the lower level so you can't seem the game when circiling the stadium? I don't know .......just wondering

Comment

[quote user="SEC105"]

[quote user="jints10"]Who holds the Giants record with 3 punt returns for TDs in a single game?
                    [/quote]

I'm thinking Dave Megget

What reason did the Giants give for building those concrete walls around the lower level so you can't seem the game when circiling the stadium? I don't know .......just wondering

[/quote]
                    Not Meggett, he did it in early 50s

My theory about the walls was that the then Giants coach Dan Reeves wanted to go to more of a passing attack. It was way more windy before the walls went up. We even call the walls the "Dan Reeves walls".

Comment

[quote user="jints10"][quote user="SEC105"]

[/quote]

I'm thinking Dave Megget

[/quote]

My theory about the walls was that the then Giants coach Dan Reeves wanted to go to more of a passing attack. It was way more windy before the walls went up. We even call the walls the "Dan Reeves walls".
                      [/quote]

My old man used to swear that Summerall kick against Cleveland was at least 57 yards.
                      Rest his soul ......his blood was pure blue.....

I think Daluiso had the longest kick......maybe im wrong......

I think it was either Em Tunnell or Gene Filipski with the returns....

that is absolutely the reason those stupid Reeves walls went up....
                      that and the fact that so many people watched the games from up there......

that wind was part f Parcells strategy.....hahahaha......
                      open up the doors

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="jints10"][quote user="SEC105"]

[/quote]

I'm thinking Dave Megget

[/quote]

[/quote]

My old man used to swear that Summerall kick against Cleveland was at least 57 yards.

open up the doors
                        [/quote]

Yup Emlin Tunnel it was

Comment

[quote user="jints10"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="jints10"][quote user="SEC105"]

[/quote]

I'm thinking Dave Megget

[/quote]

[/quote]

open up the doors
                          [/quote]

Yup Emlin Tunnel it was
                          [/quote]

in this Giant running backs debut he ran for 103 yds against the St Louis Cardinals @ Giants Stadium.
                          all those yards came in the second half...

who was he?

this guy had the heart of a lion and I was a huge fan

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="jints10"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="jints10"][quote user="SEC105"]

[/quote]

I'm thinking Dave Megget

[/quote]

[/quote]

open up the doors
                            [/quote]

Yup Emlin Tunnel it was
                            [/quote]

in this Giant running backs debut he ran for 103 yds against the St Louis Cardinals @ Giants Stadium.
                            all those yards came in the second half...

who was he?

this guy had the heart of a lion and I was a huge fan
                            [/quote]

Rob Carpenter

Who did the Giants beat in the first ever playoff game at Giants Stadium and what year was it?

Comment

Dang, I leave here for a few hours to get some work done, and the world passes me by.

YA - I was typing my 'unique' '75 answer when you posted. I included Shea... I know, cuz I was there at that hated place.

I also knew the Em Tunnell answer, but you guys are so quick that I can't compete. Must be the old age creepin' in.

Bill Neill was a beast. I loved him. You could'nt get him off his feet... Burt and Howard were the same way... an absolute necessity in a 3-4. I'll see if I can find out what happeded to Neill.

Oh, I also knew that Bright returned in the second half. He was a maniac, and we loved him for it.

Question... easy one. What did Burt do in his first preseason when he thought the Turk might come to his room to give him the bad news that he was cut?

Comment

I went and looked up a few things about Bill Neill He twisted his knee in the opener of 1983 and had to have his knee scoped for the third time. He went to Greenbay for the 1984 season and that was it for him.

Comment

Working...
                                X