This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DID YOU KNOW??

[quote user="Roosevelt"][quote user="Mod_D"][quote user="Roosevelt"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="Roosevelt"]What former Giant assistant coach later became the Jets Head Coach?

[/quote]

Al Groh right?
    [/quote]

That would make 2 then. I was thinking of Joe Walton.
    [/quote]
    Bill Belicheater. I guess it's 3.
    [/quote]

Good one, but was he actually ever the head coach?
    [/quote]
    Yes and no. He accepted a job there as head coach but then got hired elsewhere. He was their coordinator first for a bit.

Comment

[quote user="Mod_D"][quote user="Roosevelt"][quote user="Mod_D"][quote user="Roosevelt"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="Roosevelt"]What former Giant assistant coach later became the Jets Head Coach?

[/quote]

Al Groh right?
      [/quote]

That would make 2 then. I was thinking of Joe Walton.
      [/quote]
      Bill Belicheater. I guess it's 3.
      [/quote]

Good one, but was he actually ever the head coach?
      [/quote]
      Yes and no. He accepted a job there as head coach but then got hired elsewhere. He was their coordinator first for a bit.
      [/quote]

I thought he turned them down during the press conference to announce him as Head Coach.

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"][quote user="zimonami"]

1970, Gmen at New Orleans. 4th Qtr and Gmen losing 14-10. 4th and Goal. Tarkenton throws a TD pass to a wide open Bob Tucker... he is standing in the end zone, at least 2 feet from OB. He stands there andflips the ball to the ref... Except the Ref calls no TD, and we lose 14-10. There were no penalties on the play.

Why was the TD not allowed? (would have been a simple no-brainer TD with instant replay

[/quote]

I guess this wasn't fair. If you didn't see the play you would never know... probably have to be over 50 to have seen it. I'll wait a while for some older geezers, like me, to see if anyone gets it

[/quote]

Very sorry, peoples, I've been away.

Inside the white lines that frame the end zone was painted black...3 foot wide total black swath all around the inside border of the end zone. Inside of that the rest of the end zone was gold with the Saints logo in the center.

Tucker was standing in the black, 2 feet away from the white OB line. Mind you, he was standing, not moving when he caught the pass. TD!! He turns around and flips the ball to the ref, not realizing that the second he caught it the ref signalled Out of Bounds. The ref forgot that the black was part of the end zone... he saw it as OB.The Giants started to run off the field so the extra point team could come on. Meanwhile, the Saints Offense runs on the field. The refs spot the ball at the previous spot and tell the Gmen to get their defense on the field because Tucker was OB. It was toooo late, the call was made and no other ref tried to correct it... just went with the call and demanded the Giant defense come out. Instead of winning 17-14, we lose 14-10.

That couldn't happen again, and the Saints end zone was never painted that way again.

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"][quote user="zimonami"][quote user="zimonami"]

1970, Gmen at New Orleans. 4th Qtr and Gmen losing 14-10. 4th and Goal. Tarkenton throws a TD pass to a wide open Bob Tucker... he is standing in the end zone, at least 2 feet from OB. He stands there andflips the ball to the ref... Except the Ref calls no TD, and we lose 14-10. There were no penalties on the play.

Why was the TD not allowed? (would have been a simple no-brainer TD with instant replay

[/quote]

I guess this wasn't fair. If you didn't see the play you would never know... probably have to be over 50 to have seen it. I'll wait a while for some older geezers, like me, to see if anyone gets it

[/quote]

Very sorry, peoples, I've been away.

Inside the white lines that frame the end zone was painted black...3 foot wide total black swath all around the inside border of the end zone. Inside of that the rest of the end zone was gold with the Saints logo in the center.

Tucker was standing in the black, 2 feet away from the white OB line. Mind you, he was standing, not moving when he caught the pass. TD!! He turns around and flips the ball to the ref, not realizing that the second he caught it the ref signalled Out of Bounds. The ref forgot that the black was part of the end zone... he saw it as OB.The Giants started to run off the field so the extra point team could come on. Meanwhile, the Saints Offense runs on the field. The refs spot the ball at the previous spot and tell the Gmen to get their defense on the field because Tucker was OB. It was toooo late, the call was made and no other ref tried to correct it... just went with the call and demanded the Giant defense come out. Instead of winning 17-14, we lose 14-10.

That couldn't happen again, and the Saints end zone was never painted that way again.

[/quote]

replay baby!!!!
          thank the football gods for it

Comment

How many Giant running backs have held the season rushing title?
            who was the last?

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"]How many Giant running backs have held the season rushing title?
              who was the last?
              [/quote]

The only one I can remember hearing about is Tuffy Leemans (Lehmans?)in the 30's.

Comment

there were 3 more titles by 2 different players

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"]there were 3 more titles by 2 different players
                  [/quote]

I had to look this one up so we could move on to another question.

Bill Paschal in '43 and '44 (I remembered hearing about him as soon as I saw his name)

Eddie Price in '51 (didn't remember him.)

Question: What RB was so dumb he had to transfer out of Oklahoma to OK Central State. Drafted in the 4th round by the Giants in '81, he lasted 2 seasons. Simms once said that he couldn't remember any plays... you just had to tell him he was running left, or running right, and he couldn't learn the blitz pickups or audibles. He had the talent, but couldn't make it... Parcells thought Simms would get murdered if he left the guy in. A waste of talent.

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"]

[/quote]

Bill Paschal in '43 and '44 (I remembered hearing about him as soon as I saw his name)

Question: What RB was so dumb he had to transfer out of Oklahoma to OK Central State. Drafted in the 4th round by the Giants in '81, he lasted 2 seasons. Simms once said that he couldn't remember any plays... you just had to tell him he was running left, or running right, and he couldn't learn the blitz pickups or audibles. He had the talent, but couldn't make it... Parcells thought Simms would get murdered if he left the guy in. A waste of talent.

[/quote]

Chatman
                    can't remember his first name.
                    kid could run like a bull
                    just dumb as a rock.

In 1990 besides Howard, Johnson, Oates, Roberts, and Taylor...who was the 6th pro bowler on that team?

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="zimonami"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Chatman
                      just dumb as a rock.

In 1990 besides Howard, Johnson, Oates, Roberts, and Taylor...who was the 6th pro bowler on that team?
                      [/quote]

Clifford... I was so excited when we drafted him. Thought he was the steal of the draft. I should have known... how can anyone not be smart enough to stay at Oklahoma?

ProBowler - He had the biggest helmet in the league, for a small man... the ever reliable Sean Landetta... reliable except for the whiff at Soldiers Field in '86... was that the wind that blew the ball away from his foot? Or, the ghost of George Halas?

I'm mentally challenged at this minute, so... who did the Saints draft in '81, ahead of Mr. LT.

Comment

George Rogers. running back SC
                        I was like...... what????

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"][quote user="YATittle1962"][quote user="zimonami"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Chatman
                          just dumb as a rock.

[/quote]

Clifford... I was so excited when we drafted him. Thought he was the steal of the draft. I should have known... how can anyone not be smart enough to stay at Oklahoma?

ProBowler - He had the biggest helmet in the league, for a small man... the ever reliable Sean Landetta... reliable except for the whiff at Soldiers Field in '86... was that the wind that blew the ball away from his foot? Or, the ghost of George Halas?

I'm mentally challenged at this minute, so... who did the Saints draft in '81, ahead of Mr. LT.

[/quote]

I could have sworn the 6th pro bowler from the 1990 season was Reyna Thomson. special teams guy

Comment

Of the 35 games in NY Giants history decided in overtime, how many did they win?

Comment

[quote user="YATittle1962"]Of the 35 games in NY Giants history decided in overtime, how many did they win?
                              [/quote]

Geez, that's a tough one. We've been generally poor in OT, although I think Coughlin has won more than lost. All time, I'll have to guess that we are 16-19.

OK, soGeorge Rogerswas easy... I figured.

Who got a bigger rookie contract in '65... Tucker F,. or Joe Willie N.?

Comment

[quote user="zimonami"]

[quote user="YATittle1962"]Of the 35 games in NY Giants history decided in overtime, how many did they win?
                                [/quote]

Geez, that's a tough one. We've been generally poor in OT, although I think Coughlin has won more than lost. All time, I'll have to guess that we are 16-19.

OK, soGeorge Rogerswas easy... I figured.

Who got a bigger rookie contract in '65... Tucker F,. or Joe Willie N.?

[/quote]

they won 19 of 35

Had to be Fredrickson. he was the top pick wasn't he?

Comment

Working...
                                X