X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YATittle1962
    started a topic DID YOU KNOW??

DID YOU KNOW??

all these games i have to admit are fun and make the off season interesting.
    lets try some trivia.
    even if you look up the answer.....maybe we can all learn a few things from each other.

Ill start semi easy.

who was the Giants first thousand yard rusher, and what year was it?

• zimonami
    replied
    Originally posted by jmike View Post

I thought Florida and Texas were. Again, I only saw highlights, so he was not seeing a lot of contact at all. Which also worries me that most of his highlights show no contact. My view of him is certainly not complete, so don't view it as any type of prediction or analysis.
    I only watched a few Penn State games, and selected hi-lites of Barkley.
    I also watched a lot of Ron Dayne games and hi-lites... and Kijana Carter games and hi-lites, Boy, were they good.
    My brother-in-law played for a cup of coffee with the NY Titans... was dropped after reinjuring a knee that was torn up his senior year in college. He said something which was true then, and is still true today. Give any decent RB a hole and they'll all make something of it. And, any one of them can have a career ending injury in the blink of an eye.... more than any other position.
    Let's look at all the 1st round RB's the Giants have drafted through the years, since 1960
    Joe Don Looney; Tucker Fredrickson; Rocky Thompson; Butch Woolfolk; George Adams; Rodney Hampton; Jarrod Bunch; Tyrone Wheatley; Ron Dayne; David Wilson.
    Only Rodney had a credible career.
    Let someone else draft Barkley. If we're not going to use the pick for a QB, then draft down and get OLinemen, or LB's. Gallman will be very effective with improved blocking.

Leave a comment:

• R2Z2
    replied

I thought Florida and Texas were. Again, I only saw highlights, so he was not seeing a lot of contact at all. Which also worries me that most of his highlights show no contact. My view of him is certainly not complete, so don't view it as any type of prediction or analysis.
    Plus the penn State running back history and the big ten running back history you pointed out is a concern. The number 2 overall pick may just be too high to take a running back.

Pennsylvania is right there with Florida and Texas historically. Maybe not in recent years. The 70ís, 80ís and 90ís most definitely. The western part of the state is usually better. Teams like Pittsburgh central catholic have been a national powerhouse. Not to mention all the hall of fame quarterbacks that have come from out there. When I was in the high school a team from Bucks county was actually the best in the country.

Leave a comment:

• jmike
    replied
    Originally posted by R2Z2 View Post

I have to say I am also worried about Barkley and the fact that so many are high on him. Iím not sure what videos you watched where he stops his feet after contact. I watch a lot of penn State Games and I saw the opposite. Also one thing I like about him among many is that he did this with a bad offensive line in college. Which is what he would be coming to with this current Giant offensive line. Penn State has struggled to recruit offensive linemen. Which is strange considering Pennsylvania historically is the best state In the country for high school football.

Leave a comment:

• R2Z2
    replied

Honestly, Barkley worries me, too many people are too high on him and I did not watch at all this year. All I have is some highlights and honestly he is not impressive as a runner in those, but highlights are often like that. Sure 80 yard runs look great but what % of those guys are going to be in the NFL? 5% maybe? The kid stops his feet on contact, so while he has size and he doesn't run upright (doesn't get particularly low either) the size gives him little advantage if he doesn't fight with it. He's fast and has good feet, but not particularly elusive. Not saying he won't be a good back, or even a great back; just that he worries me in that he won't live up to these lofty superlatives people are applying to him. 1st round back, sure, but top five with the short careers of RBs? That scares me. Big Ten runners in general are highly unreliable, there is a reason so many Big Ten offensive lineman are in the NFL.
    I have to say I am also worried about Barkley and the fact that so many are high on him. Iím not sure what videos you watched where he stops his feet after contact. I watch a lot of penn State Games and I saw the opposite. Also one thing I like about him among many is that he did this with a bad offensive line in college. Which is what he would be coming to with this current Giant offensive line. Penn State has struggled to recruit offensive linemen. Which is strange considering Pennsylvania historically is the best state In the country for high school football.

Leave a comment:

• zimonami
    replied
    Originally posted by R2Z2 View Post
    Who is everybodyís favorite announce team of all time ? For NFC games it is madden and summeral for me. AFC games I always liked **** Enberg and Merylin Olson.
    They are both my favorites, too. No other team is even close.

Leave a comment:

• R2Z2
    replied
    Who is everybodyís favorite announce team of all time ? For NFC games it is madden and summeral for me. AFC games I always liked **** Enberg and Merylin Olson.

Leave a comment:

• jmike
    replied
    Originally posted by zimonami View Post

Bingo, jomo.... I don't know if our resident youngster, jenn, would have known that.
    nope

Leave a comment:

• jomo
    replied

Well I never heard of **** Shiner, but I got it right. Your clues were very good now that I see the answers, but you lose points though for not having Bjorn Nittmo in there somewhere.

Here is my best crack at Bjorn Nittmo

Borg Crochet..Larry Curley

Bjorn Nit Mo

Leave a comment:

• zimonami
    replied
    Originally posted by jomo View Post

University of Mars according to John Madden I think.
    Bingo, jomo.... I don't know if our resident youngster, jenn, would have known that.

Leave a comment:

• jomo
    replied
    Originally posted by zimonami View Post
    this question about PSU polayers made me think of a famous defensive lineman from the Oakland Raiders in the 70's... Otis Sistrunk.
    What university did Otis say he graduated from?
    University of Mars according to John Madden I think.

Leave a comment:

• zimonami
    replied
    this question about PSU polayers made me think of a famous defensive lineman from the Oakland Raiders in the 70's... Otis Sistrunk.
    What university did Otis say he graduated from?

Leave a comment:

• zimonami
    replied

I was on the defensive from the start Zim thinking that they might have been too obscure. I'll come up with a few more today or tomorrow and give them more time to germinate.
    You have done this kind of question before... always excellent, but most do require a bit of thinking. lol.... so, patience, Grasshopper.

Leave a comment:

• jomo
    replied

Honestly, Barkley worries me, too many people are too high on him and I did not watch at all this year. All I have is some highlights and honestly he is not impressive as a runner in those, but highlights are often like that. Sure 80 yard runs look great but what % of those guys are going to be in the NFL? 5% maybe? The kid stops his feet on contact, so while he has size and he doesn't run upright (doesn't get particularly low either) the size gives him little advantage if he doesn't fight with it. He's fast and has good feet, but not particularly elusive. Not saying he won't be a good back, or even a great back; just that he worries me in that he won't live up to these lofty superlatives people are applying to him. 1st round back, sure, but top five with the short careers of RBs? That scares me. Big Ten runners in general are highly unreliable, there is a reason so many Big Ten offensive lineman are in the NFL.
    We have had BAD luck with big 10 running backs but that's not enough reason to pass on the next guy.
    I like Barkley but I'd rather have 2 OL.

Leave a comment:

• jmike
    replied

I thought you meant WORTHY of a top 10 not actually taken in the top 10, missed that.

I think Kijana Carter was a beast and it was a shame that injuries cut that career short.

I am out of my element discussing RBs with you but being a PSU alum I watch the players coming out of there more than most.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X