Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eli Manning's Inconsistency At Root Of Giants' Woes

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/18/sp...=football&_r=0

Excerpt: "It was just after 6 p.m. Sunday, and Coach Tom Coughlin — like most everyone else on the Giants’ charter flight from Atlanta — was despondent. He had just watched his team be blasted by the Atlanta Falcons, 34-0, and was under the impression that in addition to losing the game, his players had also lost full control of their postseason fate.

As Coughlin settled into his seat, however, a team staff member came by to give him some surprising news. Despite the fact that the Giants, technically, dropped to ninth place in the N.F.C. with their defeat, the team still has a clear path to the playoffs: if the Giants win their final two games, the staff member said, they are guaranteed at least a wild-card berth.

Coughlin was dubious. “I actually questioned it,” he said Monday, unsure how the Giants could have so many teams in front of them and still have such an opportunity. But once he confirmed that it was true — essentially, two victories assured the Giants of having a better conference record than Minnesota and Chicago if all three finish 10-6 — his mood brightened.

On Monday, when he addressed the team, his message was one of hope.

“Hope is a nice word,” he said. “You have a circumstance which is obviously dismal and extremely disappointing, and you put your heart and soul into it; it’s a heavy burden. When you create the scenario of hope, it hopefully is going to be an uplifting thing.”

Several players echoed Coughlin’s overarching theme, and everyone spoke of needing to find the consistency that has proved elusive for much of the season. What went unsaid — or, at least, unsaid in the company of reporters — was that ultimately, the play of quarterback Eli Manning would probably determine whether the Giants pulled off another late-season surge or stumbled to a disappointing finish." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

TC needs to make "Finish" the motto of the team forever... not just one year.

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
      TC needs to make "Finish" the motto of the team forever... not just one year.
      It's hard to understand the inconsistency.
      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
        Strange isn't it?

Comment

The article called out our two most important players, Eli and JPP. Eli is the engine that makes the team run and when he struggles we lose, but JPP and the defense could do a better job of giving the offense more opportunities when they are struggling.

Comment

I think whether anyone wants to admit it or not, no Giants team in history has ever been as inconsistent as the teams under Eli have been. It's like being on the biggest and fastest roller coaster each and every season. I can only most often attribute it to the QB play because in this league the teams go as the QBs go.

IMO, two things this team is built on: 1. Eli throwing the ball in an option route/timing offense 2. Defensive play predicated on applying pressuring to the QB. I truly believe Eli not getting to practice with Nicks all year has been detrimentally problematic for him as I would say Nicks has never been more than 80% all season. The lack of pass rush has exposed rookies on defense and not allowed Perry's schemes to work as effectively as they should.

Still a chance that we pull this out, but I can honestly say that these past few Giants teams are teams that, for the first time in my life, make me not take losses so bad. Reason being is that I never fully expect them to go into a big game and win it. 86', 90 and even 00' I expected them to win, but not 07' and surely not 11'. What I wouldn't give to just be consistent even for just one season.

Comment

would anyone make the deal for the 49ers Kaepernick and a 2nd round pick for Eli, just putting it out there for discussion

Comment

i will always have faith in Eli and the Giants, for goodness sake they won 2 super bowls in the last 4 years

Comment

Originally posted by dillyyo1972 View Post
                  I think whether anyone wants to admit it or not, no Giants team in history has ever been as inconsistent as the teams under Eli have been. It's like being on the biggest and fastest roller coaster each and every season. I can only most often attribute it to the QB play because in this league the teams go as the QBs go.

IMO, two things this team is built on: 1. Eli throwing the ball in an option route/timing offense 2. Defensive play predicated on applying pressuring to the QB. I truly believe Eli not getting to practice with Nicks all year has been detrimentally problematic for him as I would say Nicks has never been more than 80% all season. The lack of pass rush has exposed rookies on defense and not allowed Perry's schemes to work as effectively as they should.

Still a chance that we pull this out, but I can honestly say that these past few Giants teams are teams that, for the first time in my life, make me not take losses so bad. Reason being is that I never fully expect them to go into a big game and win it. 86', 90 and even 00' I expected them to win, but not 07' and surely not 11'. What I wouldn't give to just be consistent even for just one season.
                  Would you give away the Super Bowls for consistency? You have to take the bad with the good. The Giants have always been this way. Even before Eli.
                  sigpic

Comment

I think Eli can bounce back and play well, he has done it countless times,. all we need him to do is be more careful with the ball like in 07.

Comment

Originally posted by JesseJames View Post
                      would anyone make the deal for the 49ers Kaepernick and a 2nd round pick for Eli, just putting it out there for discussion
                      Oh sure trade away our 2 time Super Bowl MVP for a guy who has started only what 3/4 games? You are crazy even putting it out there!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by krankeybluechick View Post
                        Would you give away the Super Bowls for consistency? You have to take the bad with the good. The Giants have always been this way. Even before Eli.
                        In hindsight, of course I would not give away the two championships. I also think of Eli as an elite qb, but his inconsistency is like no other elite I have seen before. Maybe it's more magnified and apparent as this is an offense/qb driven league, unlike the past. As far as "the giants have always been this way", I would have to disagree with you here. They were either consistently good or bad, but never such dramatic swings throughout a season and surely not multiple times a season, every season.

Comment

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/18/sp...=football&_r=0

Excerpt: "It was just after 6 p.m. Sunday, and Coach Tom Coughlin — like most everyone else on the Giants’ charter flight from Atlanta — was despondent. He had just watched his team be blasted by the Atlanta Falcons, 34-0, and was under the impression that in addition to losing the game, his players had also lost full control of their postseason fate.

As Coughlin settled into his seat, however, a team staff member came by to give him some surprising news. Despite the fact that the Giants, technically, dropped to ninth place in the N.F.C. with their defeat, the team still has a clear path to the playoffs: if the Giants win their final two games, the staff member said, they are guaranteed at least a wild-card berth.

Coughlin was dubious. “I actually questioned it,” he said Monday, unsure how the Giants could have so many teams in front of them and still have such an opportunity. But once he confirmed that it was true — essentially, two victories assured the Giants of having a better conference record than Minnesota and Chicago if all three finish 10-6 — his mood brightened.

On Monday, when he addressed the team, his message was one of hope.

“Hope is a nice word,” he said. “You have a circumstance which is obviously dismal and extremely disappointing, and you put your heart and soul into it; it’s a heavy burden. When you create the scenario of hope, it hopefully is going to be an uplifting thing.”

Several players echoed Coughlin’s overarching theme, and everyone spoke of needing to find the consistency that has proved elusive for much of the season. What went unsaid — or, at least, unsaid in the company of reporters — was that ultimately, the play of quarterback Eli Manning would probably determine whether the Giants pulled off another late-season surge or stumbled to a disappointing finish." Read more...
                          Eli's inconsistency and the offense as a whole is inconsistent. With routes, play calls, run game, etc. No rythem at all.....
                          "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                          You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by Harooni View Post
                            I think Eli can bounce back and play well, he has done it countless times,. all we need him to do is be more careful with the ball like in 07.
                            If we ever needed him to step up into that role, it's these next two games. I've been wondering if he's been playing hurt? He has taken some helacious hits over the course of the season.

Comment

If we ever needed him to step up into that role, it's these next two games. I've been wondering if he's been playing hurt? He has taken some helacious hits over the course of the season.
                              Maybe....but he is forcing things when he shouldnt and also missing things he would normally make. The timing for some reason is a bit off.....
                              "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                              You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Working...
                              X