Rookies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookies

Why is it that across the league, so many rookies are having success, yet our team stifles them so much? Honestly, it's our veterans lack of passion for the game that's killing our team, yet the same people are the ones sent on to the field week in and week out. Meanwhile, you have playoff rookie QBs in Luck, RG3, and Russel Wilson, you have tremendous runners in Doug Martin, Alfred Morris, and our own David Wilson. And yet, we have an allergy to youth. Or, more accurately, TC has an allergy to youth.

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite team in the NFL.

You have a short memory. Giants rookies contributed big time the last two playoff runs.

Comment

Eli was the first pick in the draft and he isn't start. Everyone wanted Wilson to start and he showed h s not ready for the role yet. It does NOT mean he is a bust.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy333 View Post
        Eli was the first pick in the draft and he isn't start. Everyone wanted Wilson to start and he showed h s not ready for the role yet. It does NOT mean he is a bust.
        He didn't mention anything about Wilson being a bust. He asked why they aren't contributing as much as other rookies seem to across the league. The answer is pretty simple, it's our coaching staff.

Comment

Originally posted by EliDaMANning View Post
          He didn't mention anything about Wilson being a bust. He asked why they aren't contributing as much as other rookies seem to across the league. The answer is pretty simple, it's our coaching staff.
          Exactly. We get Eli Manning in the draft and what do we do? Get Kurt Warner to play babysitter. This has been going on for a long time. And then when injury forces our rookies onto the field (like in 2007), we end up on fire.

And no, Wilson is no bust. He's the real deal, and yet he gets benched for a guy off the street because he's a goddamn rookie.

This allergy to youth needs to stop, and it won't ever stop while Old Man Coughlin is around. Let the rookies sink or swim right out the gate. That way we're not dragging a guy that ends up being true bust (barden, for example) for 4 years...
          Last edited by Toadofsteel; 12-18-2012, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EliDaMANning View Post
            You mean the two time Super Bowl winning coaching staff? Shouldn't we trust them by now? Wilson will be fine but Bradshaw is better right now. Randle will be fine but Hixon is better right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Toadofsteel View Post
              Exactly. We get Eli Manning in the draft and what do we do? Get Kurt Warner to play babysitter. This has been going on for a long time. And then when injury forces our rookies onto the field (like in 2007), we end up on fire.And no, Wilson is no bust. He's the real deal, and yet he gets benched for a guy off the street because he's a goddamn rookie.This allergy to youth needs to stop, and it won't ever stop while Old Man Coughlin is around. Let the rookies sink or swim right out the gate. That way we're not dragging a guy that ends up being true bust (barden, for example) for 4 years...
              He got benched because he got blown up trying to block. That s why when healthy Bradshaw is the man they go to.

Comment

Why is it that across the league, so many rookies are having success, yet our team stifles them so much? Honestly, it's our veterans lack of passion for the game that's killing our team, yet the same people are the ones sent on to the field week in and week out. Meanwhile, you have playoff rookie QBs in Luck, RG3, and Russel Wilson, you have tremendous runners in Doug Martin, Alfred Morris, and our own David Wilson. And yet, we have an allergy to youth. Or, more accurately, TC has an allergy to youth.
                The last time I read anything about the % of rookies who start I believe the number was 13. Wilson started Sunday and I honestly thought he was going to get hurt blocking. He needs to play in rotation with someone else until his blocking improves, which it will.
                “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

What it really comes down to is, the players play for teams that drafted for need. We always draft talent. To address your listed players:

Andrew Luck is an amazing player and number 1 pick.

RGIII is an amazing player in a system taylor made just for him and was the number 2 pick.

Doug Martin was supposed to be better than Wilson coming out and shock of all shock, he is. That's why Tampa took him before us.

Alfred Morris is great, and it shows that RBs really don't need to be first round picks. There are A LOT of good running backs in college and you don't need to spend a pick in the first 2 rounds to get one. He also has the benefit of the pistole formation with RGIII and Shannahan's GREAT zone blocking line. Don't forget, Shannahan in Denver made no named RBs into 1000 yard runners and probowlers.

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                    The last time I read anything about the % of rookies who start I believe the number was 13. Wilson started Sunday and I honestly thought he was going to get hurt blocking. He needs to play in rotation with someone else until his blocking improves, which it will.
                    I'm not saying make him pure starter like last week (which was by necessity)... I'm saying at least get them on the damn field for a series or three. Before the Saints game, Wilson had something like 2 carries average per game.

The best example I can think of as to how to execute this (before he got hurt) was Markus Kuhn. Rotational DT, played well when he was on the field. Actually seemed like he cared. Yet that was by injury necessity too. We're never going to see Adrien Robinson this year unless Bennett tears his ACL (which for the record I hope he doesn't).

Comment

I'm not saying make him pure starter like last week (which was by necessity)... I'm saying at least get them on the damn field for a series or three. Before the Saints game, Wilson had something like 2 carries average per game.

The best example I can think of as to how to execute this (before he got hurt) was Markus Kuhn. Rotational DT, played well when he was on the field. Actually seemed like he cared. Yet that was by injury necessity too. We're never going to see Adrien Robinson this year unless Bennett tears his ACL (which for the record I hope he doesn't).

Even if Bradshaw returns, Wilson will be getting more carries. He has to block better and that's just evident by what on Sunday. It's not a fatal flaw, he has to learn.
                      “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Comment

Originally posted by RoanokeFan View Post
                        Even if Bradshaw returns, Wilson will be getting more carries. He has to block better and that's just evident by what on Sunday. It's not a fatal flaw, he has to learn.
                        It was his technique. He is too high when he attempts to block. Being too high resulted in him being pushed back like that. Look at when Bradshaw blocks, he goes much lower than Wilson.

It is fixable for Wilson to block better, he just needs to fine tune it so he doesn't commit a chop block.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlue wins View Post
                          It was his technique. He is too high when he attempts to block. Being too high resulted in him being pushed back like that. Look at when Bradshaw blocks, he goes much lower than Wilson.

It is fixable for Wilson to block better, he just needs to fine tune it so he doesn't commit a chop block.
                          I just look at the fact that he correctly found his assignments as a good first step. It shows he's learning...

Comment

stop already......
                            "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                            You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlue wins View Post

That's what I was trying top say yesterday when I incorrectly said it was his "angle." He doesn't get any lean into his blocks. He doesn't have to talke the defender down to the turf to be effective. A one or two second delay is all thatf's required.

Comment

Working...
                              X